plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

2 recommendations

plencnerb to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm

Re: Comcast CS cannot configure SB6141 to bridge mode?

Well, I never said I was perfect, and knew everything!

I did not think there was such a device that is a router, with only one RJ45 port on it. The picture above is of the Wirespeed Router, Model 2200. Like you needed the picture, as you knew one did exist. I just had to look it up as I did not believe someone would make a router with only one port.

That brings up the question. What good is a router with only one port on it? If you have this, and want to connect more then one wired computer to it, you would have to buy yourself a switch.

Again, just did not know such an item existed. Thanks for pointing it out.

--Brian

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

3 edits

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

That brings up the question. What good is a router with only one port on it? If you have this, and want to connect more then one wired computer to it, you would have to buy yourself a switch.

Actually a router with one (or perhaps 2) built-in Ethernet ports is more the norm in the enterprise IT world than a router with a built-in switch (and a switch is what the extra ports are on a typical residential/soho router). The router does just that, it routes (and perhaps acts as a firewall). The job of connecting to multiple devices on the LAN is handled by one or more switches (which may be standalone boxes or plug-in modules for the router).

Shown below is a photo of the business end of a Cisco router. It comes standard with two Ethernet ports, two RS-232 serial interface ports and a GBIC interface (usually used with a fiber optic module, but it can also take a wired gigabit Ethernet module...either way, the GBIC module itself it a separately purchased item). Anything else (including additional Ethernet ports) must be purchased separately either as plug-in modules (which go into the space where the removable panels are located) or as standalone devices.

Just out of curiosity, how many LAN Ethernet ports does your pfsense router have?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf to plencnerb

MVM

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

What good is a router with only one port on it? If you have this, and want to connect more then one wired computer to it, you would have to buy yourself a switch.

What happens if you buy the typical four LAN port router but need to connect more than four computers? Sounds like a you still need a switch.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

said by plencnerb:

What good is a router with only one port on it? If you have this, and want to connect more then one wired computer to it, you would have to buy yourself a switch.

What happens if you buy the typical four LAN port router but need to connect more than four computers? Sounds like a you still need a switch.

Yep, and if you have multiple LAN segments, perhaps more than one switch.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
Correct. While my PFSense box does have just one NIC for my LAN, and then I have a switch, I was more specifically talking about routers that you would buy for home use. For example, a Linksys Router, Netgear Router, etc. All of those that I have seen that can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Fry's, TigerDirect, etc all come with 4 ports on them, as they are a router, plus a built-in 3 port switch.

Yes, a router really only needs one port, and then you add more. I just never saw a residential router that you would get for home use that only had one port on it.

I never said they did not exist, as they clearly do!

--Brian

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf

MVM

My Efficient SpeadStream 5660 ADSL router that I no longer use had only one ethernet port. Their 5600, widely used and issued by many telecos for ADSL service has only one port as well.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

My Efficient SpeadStream 5660 ADSL router that I no longer use had only one ethernet port. Their 5600, widely used and issued by many telecos for ADSL service has only one port as well.

And let us not forget AT&T's ever popular Motorola/Netopia EasyBake 2210 DSL router that only had one Ethernet LAN port (maybe if it had more LAN ports some of the heat could escape along with the electrons).

The exhaust fan is a user added option

I have also had several AT&T and Vonage supplied VoIP routers that only had one LAN port.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

I just never saw a residential router that you would get for home use that only had one port on it.

How about VoIP?

For example the Linksys SPA2102 has only one RJ-45 LAN port, but as noted on »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· dex.html it is designed for Businesses.

Does anyone make a VoIP residential router with only one RJ-45 LAN port...

Thanks

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by plencnerb:

I just never saw a residential router that you would get for home use that only had one port on it.

How about VoIP?

For example the Linksys SPA2102 has only one RJ-45 LAN port, but as noted on »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· dex.html it is designed for Businesses.

Does anyone make a VoIP residential router with only one RJ-45 LAN port...

Thanks

The answer to your question is yes. I have used a D-Link DVG-5102S VoIP router supplied by AT&T, and Vonage's VDV-23 VoIP router; and while I have not used one, Motorola's VT1005 is also a single LAN port VoIP router. Vonage's VDV series are the only ones I know of that can currently be purchased at a typical retail store as a new and supported device (although I suspect that someone will chide me for my ignorance). I recently purchased a couple of D-Link VTA-VR ATAs from an Amazon associate, but even though they were "new" and came with a one year warranty card, if either of them goes belly up, I don't expect either the seller or D-Link would honor the warranty. I purchased them because I don't like Vonage's VDV series boxes, and I needed the comm rack space that my older (and larger, since they both have 4 port switches) Cisco and Motorola VoIP routers were using.