Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sourtimes

join:2012-12-16
York, ON

[DSL] What remote am I on, what modem can I use 50/10 VDSL

Ahoy,

My 50/10 is getting activated next week. For now I am on the Sagemcomm rental, but I want to use my own router. I have no idea what remote I am on, but I know these are my remotes. Can anyone identify them and tell me what my options will be once I can use a modem of my choice ?

»imgur.com/sZE9HWc,QtIu8JB#1
»imgur.com/sZE9HWc,QtIu8JB#0

These are literally right in front of my house on the other side of the street. So I know I will get great signal. I had DSL here previously and had great line stats as well.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I'm guessing they're stingers...

Once you're hooked up, TekSavvy can pull your line stats and the type of remote will be identified, either OSLAM = Lucent Stinger, or 7330 = Alcatel 7330 remote.

Until then, no reason to keep guessing.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to sourtimes
Looks exactly like the boxes at the end of my street. 18 months ago a Fibe activation was a Stinger. A year ago a TSI activation was a 7330.

So it's tough to say. I don't think Bell is installing any new Stingers so in areas where they are expanding / grown beyond a single remote they may have both running as is the case in my area.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
The ones with the curved top are Oslams aka Stingers 7330s have flat tops that said if they are across the street and your within 200 feet you should be able to get 50/10
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to sourtimes
The remote may be across the street but the cable that brings signal to your home could be snaking its way to the opposite end of your city block before getting to your home... so if you live at the 'wrong end' of a 300m long city block, the wire distance to the remote that is physically only 20m away (across the street) might turn out to be closer to 600m.

Cables do not always follow the most intuitive route, particularly in old neighborhoods. That reminds me of someone who expected great line stats because there was a CO across the river from his home but then found out that his (older) side of the river was wired into next town, 4-5km away.

paulwye

join:2007-02-17
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to sourtimes
Are you absolutely certain that's your SAI? If you're in the tall rental building, it probably is, but if you're in one of the smaller walk-ups, you could well be on my SAI, which is up on Montclair, a few yards in from Bathurst (I'm a couple of buildings up from you, if you're across from those SAIs).

The northernmost remote is the most recently installed unit, and it's a Stinger, see my photos here:

»[DSL] Photos of remote internals--okay to post?

That was over two years ago. Montclair has three cabinets mounted on the SAI; one that's been there for quite a while and two more that went in fairly recently. The two newer ones are the newer-style cabinet, implying that they're 7330s. I'm on the Stinger, have been for years.

EDIT: all three cabinets on the Montclair SAI are now loaded. Also, I'm pretty sure we're the last building to the south on the Montclair SAI, so you're almost certainly on one of the two you posted.

sourtimes

join:2012-12-16
York, ON
said by paulwye:

Are you absolutely certain that's your SAI? If you're in the tall rental building, it probably is, but if you're in one of the smaller walk-ups, you could well be on my SAI, which is up on Montclair, a few yards in from Bathurst (I'm a couple of buildings up from you, if you're across from those SAIs).

The northernmost remote is the most recently installed unit, and it's a Stinger, see my photos here:

»[DSL] Photos of remote internals--okay to post?

That was over two years ago. Montclair has three cabinets mounted on the SAI; one that's been there for quite a while and two more that went in fairly recently (one was loaded and the other was just a shell, last I checked). The two newer ones are the newer-style cabinet, implying that they're 7330s. I'm on the Stinger, have been for years.

I'm not in the tallest building, but I am just a few down beside it. I wasn't aware there was one up on Montclair either, that is fairly close to me as well.

Another quick question to anyone who has activated with Teksavvy and needed a Sagemcomm F@st modem; It was not mentioned to me that there would be a modem coming in the mail. I assumed that the technician coming on the install date will be bringing the modem with them. Is this accurate ?

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

The ones with the curved top are Oslams aka Stingers 7330s have flat tops that said if they are across the street and your within 200 feet you should be able to get 50/10

I have a JWI without a remote a minute or two drive from me. Since Bell is deploying VDSL2+ will you still need to be within 200 feet from a 7330 to be able to get 50/10?

Keeping in mind my area is an relatively new but existing area. I'd hate for them to put in the 7330 remote and only to find out that I cannot qualify for 50/10.

The Wiring box looks like this without the remote:

»image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ··· 3e94.png

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to sourtimes
the modem gets mailed from Bell directly by Canada Post express.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
reply to FiberToTheX
No 7330 is under 600 feet for 50/10 stingers are garbage is all P:)
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to sourtimes
Our office is way more than 600 feet from the stinger (2000+ feet) and line stats indicate it can do 50/7...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

No 7330 is under 600 feet for 50/10 stingers are garbage is all P:)

I'm at around 900 feet on a Stinger and 50/10 has been solid.

I just wish there was a better modem for it.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

morisato

Oshawa, ON
reply to sourtimes
Sorry i have been Quoting feet when I meant Meters My bad sorry
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to sourtimes
Well, our line stats for our office indicate something like "0.65 - 1.27 km" or something like that.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
must be a higher guage of wire or something 200 meters is oslam 50/10 operational distance 600 is 7330 but with those i am sure comes a caveat that thats the average distance some exceptions occur
--