spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CajunWon

join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

[XPPro] HP Desktop: POST but will not boot

Had a perfectly good working PC with one SATA Drive.

Added a second SATA drive to attempt data retrieval.

From that point on, all I get is the option to see BIOS setup screens. Have removed the 2nd drive and have inserted a bootable CDROM. Otherwise instead of attempting to boot I get a single cursor at top left screen. Change the Full Boot option to watch the memory countup and then it says it is 'attempting to boot from" cd; Diskette, Hard Drive. but those 3 messages appear in less than a second.

Within BIOS setup, it does recognize each device: 40GB primary; 80GB secondary, IDE CDROM. Will even perform a test on the hard drive without error.

Feels as though attaching the 2nd drive (which was primary from another WinXP Desktop) removed any option to make a real attempt to boot from CDROM or HDD.

Any thoughts? TIA

techsup1983

join:2013-03-23

Sata doesn't have master/slave like older ide drives. I have found tho that if you disconnect a sata and connect it to another sata data cable then the situation you are describing happens, if so then just remove all the new stuff and place the sata back on its original data cable. After you have it booting add one perhiperal at a time.

Also check that you haven't accidently changed the sata mode.

CajunWon

Cary, NC

It is in the original configuration now. No joy. Does not make a physical attempt to boot from CD or HDD.

HP d530 P4

techsup1983

can you check if the hdd is connected to the sata 0 port?
And that you have good connections on the power and data connectors.

CajunWon

Cary, NC

Yes, I have tried SATA 0 and also SATA 1

The BIOS test of the hard drive takes 30 minutes with no errors

techsup1983

what about checking the sata mode in the bios there should be some options like ahci, ide, native, from memory i think native and ide should work.

CajunWon

Cary, NC

no exact 'sata mode' option as that. Controller options have replace IDE controller and other options, have tried each of the 4 options with no joy

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

What motherboard make and model are you using?

Do you have a link to the manufacturer's website and the page for your motherboard?

What happens if you remove the second Sata HD and the IDE Optical drive that you recently added?

You mention you added the second Sata HD to attempt data retrieval. Is something wrong with the original HD? Is it no longer working?

CajunWon

Cary, NC
reply to CajunWon

very strange. but just ordered new motherboard/cpu/ram. $160 net and low-end based on available new products, yet much improved compared to the dead hardware it replaces.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4

Smart move. Good decision on your part.