Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vrette
Premium
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL

Check your $2 Equipment Rental Fee

I sent back my 3801 at the end of February, but the $2 high speed equipment rental fee still showed up on my next bill, so I called AT&T and they took it off. Now the next bill shows up, and the $2 high speed equipment rental fee is still on my bill, so I called them again to have it removed, and they took it off again. To be fair, they also credited my account for $10 for the "inconvenience."

In my experience, AT&T has been really bad about removing charges once a service has been cancelled. I had a similar problem when I dropped TV and then voice. I kept getting billed when I no longer had the service. I don't know if it is because they are disorganized, or if it is intentional in the hopes the customer doesn't notice. Either way, keep an eye on your bill because just because you sent back the modem doesn't guarantee the rental fee will be automatically taken off your bill.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL
After having to call for the 3rd month in a row to have the $2 fee removed and threatening cancellation, I was informed by AT&T that they could not remove the fee even though I had returned the modem. Can you believe that? I guess once you are set up leasing the modem in the system, the system will not let them switch you over to owning the modem and removing the fee. To add insult to injury, they will not support the 2wire 3600 modem I purchased, so now they are sending me out a different modem. What a hassle.... At the same time, they did reduce my payment for 12 months, which is the only reason I did not switch over to Comcast.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

AnonMan

@comcast.net
3600 is supported and the only reason it wouldn't be is the one you purchased used was old. They had to upgrade firmware on them all at some point to update a certificate and if the modems never got that update they never can as the old one is now expired.

IF you're saying you had yours active and they claim it's not supported that's simply a lie too but if you have to pay the fee mine as well use they box lol.

That said I have seen many get rid of the fee buying a 3600 so long as it was an updated firmware one. Though no $2 fee existed, the modem rental fee is 6 bucks, i think the 2 buck if if you had TV/phone also as if you did they didn't charge the 6 buck fee.

If you are HSI only and use customer owned equipment and they refuse to remove the fee technically you could sue them as you are renting nothing. The CSR that told you it can't be removed just didn't know what else to do, it really needed to be esc. as the act seems to have other issues such as a stuck code or equipment not showing properly.

ubhai

join:2013-03-28
reply to vrette
I am trying to get those fees removed too, I returned the modem in March a few days beyond my billing period, so I did not bother to ask them for a credit. In April (since I had a change in plan) ATT messed up on how they calculate the charges, so I ended up paying slightly less on my Internet connection, so I let the equipment fees (that was still charged) slide by.

Now, when I saw the charges applied in May, I did an online chat, and the CSR tells me that they will charge a $2 fees for "purchased equipment" ! WTH!! I think ATT is trying to squeeze fees from people where it shouldn't (and hoping people will not take it further). I plan to call their number and start talking to the supervisors soon.

Anybody knows where we can file a complaint against such illegal practices?

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
said by ubhai:

Anybody knows where we can file a complaint against such illegal practices?

Not a lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, but would small claims court be an option? I honestly do not know

Also there is the binding arbitration dispute resolution clause in the AT&T Terms of Service:
»www.att.com/shop/internet/att-in···NjSyOJme

ubhai

join:2013-03-28
I did some further reading, ATT is vague about why they are charging the fees for. It just says fees for high speed wi-fi enabled device, nothing in the statement says that it is a modem rental. Are we stuck? Can companies charge arbitrary fees like this?

I agree it would be a small claims court (maybe we can get to be on Judge Judy), but I am thinking this could be illegal practice and fraudulent, and given the prevalence, it might be a class action lawsuit.

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL

1 edit
reply to vrette
File a complaint with the FCC and direct them to this thread? (which is what I just did)

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by vrette:

File a complaint with the FCC and direct them to this thread? (which is what I just did)

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

In IL you can also go to the ICC/Illinois Commerce Commission: »www.icc.illinois.gov/

Other states, whatever state dept is your utility regulator

vrette
Premium
Lombard, IL
reply to vrette
Good point. I will do that as well.
--
Chairman of the Bored...