Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Ivy Bridge-E Specs Released, nothing special

said by Xbit Labs :

Intel’s New Extreme Processors Will Barely Improve Performance Significantly – Specifications.

Specifications of the First Core i7 “Ivy Bridge-E” Chips Get Published

Intel Corp.’s highly-anticipated new-generation Core i7 Extreme-series microprocessors will not be as revolutionary as they could be, according to newly published specifications of the code-named Ivy Bridge-E chips for desktops. Intel plans to release three new chips for high-end desktops (HEDTs) in the second half of 2013, but they will be barely faster than predecessors, if the unofficial information is correct.

Intel plans to release three “Ivy Bridge-E” central processing units this year: Core i7-4960X, Core i7-4930K and Core i7-4820K, according to a slide that resembles those from Intel’s roadmaps published by Chinese VR-Zone web-site. Two of the new microprocessors will feature six cores and one will sport four cores. The new products will feature a little higher clock-speed compared to existing Core i7 “Sandy Bridge-E” microprocessors and will continue to feature 130W thermal design power.

Woohoo?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

No solid competition on high end desktops - why ramp up the specs and increase the costs/cut profits..?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to Krisnatharok

Presumably there will be an addition to the Sandy Bridge-E line in the form of the Core i7 3980X which will be an 8 core 16 thread part.

I could see how some would think this would be impractical with the pending release of Ivy Bridge-E, however, the same would have been true of the Sandy Bridge Core i7 2700K when Ivy Bridge was pending:

quote:
The other product launch will be better versions of the current Sandy Bridge-E chips, slated for Q2 2013. These are expected to feature higher clock speeds, but the most interesting part will be the first 8 core consumer CPU from Intel, the Core i7-3980X Extreme Edition. Expect to pay dearly for it.

quote:
The company would also give an update to its current Sandy Bridge-E lineup as the recently launched Core i7-3970X (higher clocked 3960X) isn’t enough for consumers. We are looking at faster variants of the Core i7-3930K, Core i7-3820 and a new Extreme Edition processor built to replace the Core i7-3970X. However this time, Intel plans to change the game with the launch of its first 8 Core consumer CPU – Core i7-3980X.

»www.legitreviews.com/news/14815/

Then there is this (though it doesn't sound quite right IMO):

quote:
ExclusiveTT: Haswell coming at Computex on Z87 chipset, next-gen performance platform to be X99

Time to spill the beans on Intel's upcoming CPU and chipset plans, if our tomato sauces are correct. One of our sources tipped us that Haswell will be coming at Computex (June 2013) on the Z87 platform as the mid-range solution (much alike the previous-gen Z77), though this is something that is widely available through Google, and mostly widely known among inner circles as being fact.

More importantly, the source let us know that the next-generation performance range of CPUs will be coming by the end of the year, and not 2014 as previous speculated. This news comes from a source that is very close to the subject.

While we suspect this to be Ivy Bridge-E based, our source wasn't exactly clear and it could end up being Haswell-E, with Ivy Bridge-E being skipped. We do know, however, that the next-gen performance chip will make use of a chipset called X99. A quick Google for "X99" turns up relatively little and basically nothing about an Intel chipset.

We'll be sure to keep you up-to-date with all of the latest Intel CPU and chipset news as soon as we hear anything more.

Read more at »www.tweaktown.com/news/28808/exc···oA24A.99

»www.tweaktown.com/news/28808/exc···dex.html

***edit***

said by CylonRed:

No solid competition on high end desktops - why ramp up the specs and increase the costs/cut profits..?

Not sure what you're saying here.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the specs increasing in fact it's expected regardless of the state of comaptition. Price hasn't been released yet as far as I know but one would expect the price to be equal to the parts they are supplanting. That is to say no increase in price.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
reply to Krisnatharok

Bummer...if this holds true.
I'm planning a new build, not Haswell thank you, for late summer/early fall but was hoping for a little more from an IB-E release. If these conjectures hold true, including price points, I'll just run with another 3930k. I really really like the overhead room.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

That's sort of my take as well and has been for a while,....

I have speculated that there wouldn't be a significant performance boost with Ivy Bridge-E much like going from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. In all likelihood Haswell wont be a massive noteworthy performance upgrade either,....IMO.

Right now I'm OK with my Core i7 3930K / Asus P9X79 Deluxe system and I don't honestly expect much in the way of even new features from an upgraded chipset for Ivy Bridge-E. No Intel Thunderbolt support (I don't think) and I don't even expect a new chipset,.....

Since I basically needed to repurpose my Core i5 2500K / Asus P8P67 Pro system I might replace it with a Haswell based Core i7 4770K but I don't need another 6 core 12 thread based system or 8 core 16 thread based system,...So I can go a little cheaper this time around,...

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

Don't get me wrong, 8 cores would be tempting...but I really just need something to deal with a full Pro Tools rack (audio & video) and fold like a demon on the new build. So yeah...3930k and an Asus x79 will work just fine again.

But next year might be fun to see where Haswell is with any stepping revisions on the core or new chipsets. I'd even throw the next die shrink into an HTPC build.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

I just realized there is a typo in the above table,...

The current Sandy Bridge-E lineup is as follows:

Core i7 3960X
Core i7 3970X
Core i7 3930K
Core i7 3820

Supposedly there is a pending Core i7 3980X with 8 core / 16 threads but that is the type of thing you have to see to believe. Anyway, in the above table the entry level Core i7 3820 is listed as a Core i7 3820K which is incorrect in name and indication as it isn't a fully unlocked processor.

However, in the above chart, its successor the Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4820K has the "K" suffix as well. In this case we don't know if this is in error just like with the 3820. Although, if you look at the leaked document here:

»www.techpowerup.com/182238/Intel···led.html

You'll notice that the current Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3820 correctly has no "K" suffix but the upcoming entry level Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4820K does have the "K" suffix.

Still don't know for sure but it would be an improvement if the entry level Ivy Bridge-E processor was unlocked in the same way as the rest of the lineup.