Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

3 edits

[OS X] image or restore: How to get security, peace of mind?

This bird uses pretty strict, layered security. Fer instance, there's both a hardware firewall (router) and a software firewall (built-in w/ OS-X or 3rd party, perhaps Intego), regular updates to OS (automatic w/ OS-X), always-on 3rd-party anti-virus, occasional on-demand anti-malware scans, and physical security (keeping the nest secure). Of course, there is also data security with regular backups.

But there may come a day when the OS gets so hosed that it is beyond any hope of repair. In Windowz one just applies the "Restore Point" and that usually works.
And one can also image the OS-drive - just like a full back-up - while it is known good and working.
For example, in Windows, one can use Shadow Protect, »www.storagecraft.com/shadow_prot···ktop.php
This is a lot like the Norton Ghost product.

• Yet I have not see an imaging product for Mac to restore the OS. Is there such a product?

I'd like to image my drive while it is all good and working onto another terrabyte drive to be careful.
Are there good solutions?
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

Carbon Copy Cloner......Clones the complete Hard Drive ( or the bits you tell it to) to another local/Network backup Hard Drive

TimeMachine OSX software, built into the latest versions, keeps a (daily/hourly??) backup, on a local/Network Hard Drive, allows you to 'rollback' in Time...........

I use CCC occasionally, TimeMachine works great for some, I don''t trust it 100%

PS Ditch the Virus/malware software, you really don't (yet) need it for Mac......ClamX AV free antivirus, if you are paranoid.....I run it about twice a years, not had a true Mac Virus/Trojan infect my Macs in over 15 years........................

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

1 edit

said by kerriskandie:

I use CCC occasionally, TimeMachine works great for some, I don''t trust it 100%

Agree completely on trusting Time Machine.
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Ugly

Click for full size
CCC = $40, Time Machine = $Free.
I for one have never had any problems with time machine, and I certainly trust it just as much as Windows restore that you mentioned using in your post.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...