uniqs

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin

Re: [iPad] favorite browser on the ipad.

said by robbin:

With some of the other browsers you aren't limited to being labeled as a mobile device. Some can emulate most any browser currently used.

Can you give me an example of how that would benefit me?

Every site I access with Safari on my iPad comes in exactly how I'd like to browse it.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by urbanriot:

said by robbin:

With some of the other browsers you aren't limited to being labeled as a mobile device. Some can emulate most any browser currently used.

Can you give me an example of how that would benefit me?

Every site I access with Safari on my iPad comes in exactly how I'd like to browse it.

if you are happy with what Safari does then there would be no benefit for you. But to give you an example, if you go to news.google.com on your iPad in Safari you have a different page than if you go to the same URL on your computer. Using another browser, such as iCab Mobile which I use, and you can have the page just like on the computer. Some sites give you options on the mobile versus standard display and some don't. An alternate browser gives you the option.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by robbin:

But to give you an example, if you go to news.google.com on your iPad in Safari you have a different page than if you go to the same URL on your computer.

... it was exactly the same experience.

That may have been a bad example.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Good example on my iPad -- here are screenshots. The first is the mobile version as displayed by Safari and the second using iCab Mobile emulating Firefox

Safari version

iCab Mobile Firefox version

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Good example on my iPad -- here are screenshots. The first is the mobile version as displayed by Safari and the second using iCab Mobile emulating Firefox

Okay, so you're looking to get a specific Firefox experience more than you're looking to get a mobile vs. desktop experience. This makes sense.

Since I'm primarily a Chrome user, for me Safari and Chrome are the same experience so I have no need to switch. news.google.com is identical for me on iPad Safari as it is with Windows Chrome.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

No, I'm not looking for a specific Firefox experience. The difference is the desktop and mobile versions. The Firefox version I displayed is exactly the same as the Explorer and Chrome versions on my desktop. It's the Safari version that's different from the rest. Evidently Canadians don't have the mobile version yet.

"If you are using a Nexus or an iPad tablet, visiting Google News will automatically take you to the Tablet view of the Google News front page (Note: The tablet version is only launched in the the US as of December 2012. In editions where the tablet view is not yet available, the classic version will be shown.)"

»support.google.com/news/ ··· r=164073

There are many websites that have "optimized" the experience for tablets. Sometimes they work great but sometimes what you get is a mobile version optimized for phones. Safari doesn't give you the option to choose the version you want, but many alternate browsers do. I never "changed", I use several different browsers depending on what I am doing. I like having options and having another app or two on my device doesn't produce any negatives, just positives.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Evidently Canadians don't have the mobile version yet.

Nope... it's like Canadians have the same experience on iPad Safari as they do on PC desktop Chrome. I think the only major difference I've experienced is some sites have less advertisements on my iPad.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

According to Google, you don't have the mobile version. Did you read the link I posted?

Try this for this website -- when you are logged in there is a toolbar at the top of the screen.

When using Safari on the iPad, this toolbar scrolls up with the rest of the page. With Chrome on a desktop (and every other desktop browser), the toolbar remains in place at the top making it available at all times. If you don't want it to scroll, then use a different browser. Same type of thing on other websites.