uniqs
share rss forum feed

sunday8pm

join:2010-05-24
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms

Distributel?

We are moving to an area of Montreal where FTTN seems to be unavailable.

Because we don't want to front the setup costs for cable, we are looking at Distributel.
From what I understand, the installation for a new account is 39$ (29+10) and then 60$ + 5$ for unlimited 20mbits cable with modem.

That doesn't sound bad at all, especially when compared to what others are offering.

What is the consensus on Distributel? Any reason not to go ahead?

Thanks!

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac

Personally, I would go with Electronicbox for the sole reason that they have a great presence on this forum should you have any issues.

You won't find the level of service anywhere else that you will get from Ebox. Also, there has been no word from Distributel what they are doing with their rates from the latest CRTC ruling whereas Ebox has stated that they aren't changing their rates.

sunday8pm

The thing is, eBox is not unlimited, charges more for setup and more for renting the modem.

rednekcowboy

Reviews:
·Acanac

I was in the same position as you, but if you go with 30Mbps/500GB it's virtually unlimited (and I'm a really heavy user), I believe it is a bit cheaper per month and like I said you can't go by the prices on Distributel's web-page because those are their old offerings. Everyone else that offers unlimited on Cable, their prices rose by around $20/month on average.

I bought my modem straight out, so I can't comment there but the support given with Ebox is second to none and you can get Diskace/EboxNat on these forums virtually 24/7.

I took a long look at Distributel when I moved to Montreal but in the end, I went with Ebox because I either never got responses to my emails from Distributel or it took weeks for a response. Their phone support was severely disorganized and I got several different answers from different people on the phones when I called in.

The biggest concern I would have right now with signing on with Distributel is that you might pay what you see on their website and then in a month or so, that could jump up another $20/month because they haven't said what they are doing with their prices (could be wrong here, but I haven't seen or heard anything from them since the ruling and I emailed them as well with no response).

eboxnat

join:2011-05-06
Montreal, QC
kudos:6

I wouldn't say 24/7, but pretty often :P

Sunday, if you have any questions about Ebox, don't be shy to ask.

sunday8pm

Is it true that all cable packages are being upgraded to 10mbits upload without additional cost?

rednekcowboy

The upload speed, yes, starting in May.

sunday8pm

reply to sunday8pm

I see. What BYO modems are accepted for your 20 or 30 mbits service?

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to sunday8pm

said by sunday8pm:

Is it true that all cable packages are being upgraded to 10mbits upload without additional cost?

From what I'm seeing, many indie ISP customers already have it, including those from Ebox. See:
»Le 10 mbps en upload pour les vitesse TGV sont là!

You just need to hit the reset pin on your modem for the new profile to take effect.

rednekcowboy

Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to sunday8pm

said by sunday8pm:

I see. What BYO modems are accepted for your 20 or 30 mbits service?

Don't know if this helps but the one I bought from them was the Docsis 3.0 Thompson DCM 475

eboxnat

Montreal, QC
reply to sunday8pm

BYO cable modems are as follows for the 20mbps (and + ) plans;
Thomson DCM475
Motorola SB6120
Motorola SB6180

Please assure that the modem is made for Quebec and has not been rented by another provider in the past.
There are other modems, with older technology, but they are not worth the effort as in the next year (two years tops) they will be no longer allowed on the network.
--
Electronic Box Inc.
»ELECTRONICBOX
Natasha Contardi

yym7890

join:2007-10-01
Montreal, QC

if my DCM475 bought from ACANAC 1 years ago, can I use it in Electronicbox? or I need buy a new one?

eboxnat

Montreal, QC

If it was already used in Quebec, it should be fine.

LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
reply to hm

said by hm :

You just need to hit the reset pin on your modem for the new profile to take effect.

I got 10Mbps upload without doing anything. You don't need to reset the modem.

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC

when i had my 10mb upgrade, i was only able to get 9.xx or 8.xx mbps. i did a reset, and after that i had a solid 10+ mbps on upload. maybe the channel bonding need a reboot to take effect.

bbwarrior

join:2005-12-12
Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to LanAdmin

said by LanAdmin:

I got 10Mbps upload without doing anything. You don't need to reset the modem.

I had to reboot to go from 3-10Mbps up.

rednekcowboy

I'm getting the 10 Mbps up as well. Don't know when that happened though. I went out of town for 4 days last week and turned my modem off so I'm assuming that I've had it since Monday when I turned my modem back on....