join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

PPC Mini with 10.5.8 - Current Software

So, I'm reloading (after putting a new HDD) a Mini G4 (1.42/BT/802.11, Superdrive) after "upgrading" my in-laws to C2D Macbook. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or donate it yet. (The old 2.5" HDD had several ECC hardware errors on it and load cycle counts of over 3 Million; I found a new 250GB for $89 at the local computer store. I'm promptly going to disable the idle timer on the new one with wdidle3 on a PC so it doesn't have the LCC issue.)

I put two partitions on it; one with the original 10.3 factory load (manually applied the combo 10.3.9 update, Software update does not work otherwise) to run legacy stuff (like Classic). (Does anyone have a list of all software updates applied to a 10.3 system laying around anywhere?)

Also put another 10.5 partition on it and fully updated it. SU still worked great for that.

I've seen conflicting information about different "modern" essentials before I let anyone (including donating this) use the system. TenFourFox is an essential to update the Web Browser. I've looked a little into Java and found that Apple updated it to 1.6 (w/some minor revision), and also saw that there was an older 10.1 version of Flash that was the last one that worked.

What else is essential that I replace or update on a load so old? Too bad that people still can't cross compile Universal binaries - it leaves me with having to scavenge the net looking for older software I was thinking TenFoxFour, VLC (an older PPC/UB version), ClamXAV (which I normally put), and am looking for ideas to "modernize" this old system. Granted, it can't watch Youtube videos except in html5, and only at 240p, but I think it would still be a good web surfing, emailing, word processing system.

Thoughts?
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I would remove the 10.5 partition and put a new version of PPC Ubuntu on it. You lose OS X, of course, but you gain up-to-date Java, Firefox/Chrome, and everything else in the Ubuntu repositories, which tend to have great coverage.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta

acadiel

Premium Member

Can I shrink the 10.5 partition and make a third partition with Ubuntu?
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to acadiel

Premium Member

to acadiel
Yes, if you boot from another disk, like CD or an external. Disk utility should show a little resize grabber on the partition that you can drag to make the partition smaller.

The Ubuntu Live CD may also have a partitioner that can do what you want, but I wouldn't recommend it as it may not have great support for HFS+ volumes.