share rss forum feed

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2

Seminars

So I just signed up for one of Scott Kelby's seminars this Wednesday. Anyone ever been to one?

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

No, but I am interested in hearing about your experience, please come back and share with us.

Jodokast96
Premium
Erial, NJ

1 recommendation

I shall.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN
kudos:1
reply to Jodokast96
I've been to Photoshop World several times in the past. Scott teaches several of the sessions there. He is a fun and dynamic presenter with a good sense of humor. Or at least he was in the past.

Jodokast96
Premium
Erial, NJ
Checking on a break here. Yes Bolt, he still is. A very entertaining guy. Will post more later, but so far not bad at all.

b8264d
Hello? Hello? Is there anyone out there?
Premium
join:2013-03-12
Martinsburg, WV
reply to Jodokast96
I've always wanted to go to one of his seminars. I look forward to hearing about your experience. I have been to several Art Wolfe workshops and seminars, he is one if not a favorite of mine. Very down to earth guy.

Jodokast96
Premium
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Overall, a thumbs up. Scott is very entertaining and easy going, warm and open to everyone, and keeps your attention throughout. He actually seems to be very much a minimalist in his work. His lighting setups are very simple, and as much as he is a gear head, pushes a more basic equipment route for people to take.

We were actually the first public outing of this particular tour, so they were really looking for a lot of feedback. This was not a hands on seminar, but rather a straightforward lecture and presentation deal. There was a lot of great information presented. This particular seminar covered a wide range of topics in just enough depth not to drown you. He was very adamant that you not take any notes, as he already did the note taking for you and presented a detailed workbook at the end and did not want you to miss anything he was showing. Even when faced with equipment glitches, he rolled right through them like they were almost a part of the show. A solid presenter, from beginning to end.

Besides offering his own books, videos, and sign ups for NAPP, there was also a rep from On One software that did a quick demo of their new suite (looks good) and a B&H rep as well. There were drawings for a number of books and videos, as well as a full event pass to Photoshop World. Everyone received an offer for a free 16x20 print from Mpix and a copy of On Ones Perfect Effects 4. As far as things like this seem to go, it was a relatively cheap $99, especially after the two freebies.

That being said, it probably wasn't quite the best choice of seminars for me. This is no fault at all on the part of Scott or any of his people. Having never been to anything like this before and given what knowledge I do have, I personally would have probably been better off with with something with a more narrow focus. I had offered to let my daughter skip school and go, but she was on the fence about it, so I decided not to spend the extra money. Big mistake. She would have learned a ton from this.

Any specific questions, please ask.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

1 edit
reply to Jodokast96
If I understand, you are saying it is more of a beginners seminar. Kind of like, a little of everything, but nothing in depth about stuff you like to shoot.

Thanks for sharing!

Jodokast96
Premium
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
Sort of. It was for a level higher than beginners, though it was done well enough that a beginner would be comfortable. It was more for a lower to mid intermediate level maybe? For people who know they know something, but not what it is they know. For people who know they see something, but not what it is they are seeing. Does that make sense?

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO
Yea, I get it, something to keep people on the right path.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN
kudos:1
reply to Jodokast96
Photoshop World is a awesome conference if you can get there. They have several tracks, so that you can focus on what you want. The last time I went, you get all the information for all the tracks and the teachers are all high quality and high energy. Anyone interested in Photoshop should try to go at least once.