Premium Member
join:2003-12-05
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

CableConvert

Premium Member

[Speed] After Speed Upgrade Video Buffers More

Click for full size
Ever since I got the Blast speed upgrade to 50/10 Youtube videos, PBS videos and several others are buffering a lot more. On PBS I cant even watch a 3 min preview clip without buffering. I never had this problem before the upgrade...anyone else experiencing similar. I would not expect a 3 min clip to buffer. It also seems there are a ton of connections opening. The above is with this page and the PBS video starting

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

What speeds are you getting with speedtest.net and shaperprobe?

CableConvert
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

CableConvert

Premium Member

speedtest.net

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6110.png

Shaperprobe
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11377 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 100 Mbps.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 11162 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 55290 Kbps.
jeremiah2305
join:2013-03-21
Tacoma, WA

1 edit

jeremiah2305

sometimes it has to do with the flash player, as their recent updates have been pretty crap. I'd uninstall flash with the special uninstaller found through Google and re-install an old or new version. Your speeds look ok to me.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to CableConvert

MVM

to CableConvert
If you are using a router, what is the make/model?

Try a direct connection from PC to modem.
ssmithT
join:2011-06-28

ssmithT to CableConvert

to CableConvert
I'm having the same issue actually. Youtube video loading is much slower than it was before the upgrade.
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W to jeremiah2305

to jeremiah2305
said by jeremiah2305:

I'd uninstall flash with the special uninstaller found through Google and re-install an old or new version.

Recommending someone install an older version of Flash is absolutely awful advice. Most Flash updates deal with security issues, and rolling back to an old version just leaves you wide open for attack.

ipv6issue
@comcast.net

ipv6issue

Anon

Try disabling ipv6 on your computer. It may help your Youtube chose a more local or less heavily server for your stream. Ipv6 might not be properly handled by Youtube's load balancer.

CableConvert
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

CableConvert

Premium Member

Its happening again tonight with PBS Video...every 2 minutes. I totally uninstalled flash and did a clean reinstall...no luck
CableConvert

CableConvert to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
I use ipcop on a separate pc

Wart
@comcast.net

Wart to CableConvert

Anon

to CableConvert
Ugh, it's 8PM Friday night on the West Coast, and I'm getting 50KB/s trying to stream YouTube videos. I tried a few different ones, and I just gave up.

I checked my connection on a download site, and I'm getting my full connection speed 4MB/s+

This sucks since I just used that trick before the upgrades to block the range of cache server IPs and that seemed to help....now it's worse than ever.

Are the YouTube servers slow for everyone right now or is this Comcast's fault?
ssmithT
join:2011-06-28

ssmithT

said by Wart :

Ugh, it's 8PM Friday night on the West Coast, and I'm getting 50KB/s trying to stream YouTube videos. I tried a few different ones, and I just gave up.

I checked my connection on a download site, and I'm getting my full connection speed 4MB/s+

This sucks since I just used that trick before the upgrades to block the range of cache server IPs and that seemed to help....now it's worse than ever.

Are the YouTube servers slow for everyone right now or is this Comcast's fault?

Given google's infrastructure it seems unlikely. It's starting to work my nerves though too. "Double the bandwidth" and now I'm waiting 3 or 4x longer than I was before the "upgrade".
jeremiah2305
join:2013-03-21
Tacoma, WA

jeremiah2305

said by jeremiah2305:

sometimes it has to do with the flash player, as their recent updates have been pretty crap. I'd uninstall flash with the special uninstaller found through Google and re-install an old or new version. Your speeds look ok to me.

Whoa can we say overreact much? Yes there are a few security vulnerabilities but going back to a version a few months older than the newest one is hardly gonna get you 57 unknown attacks in one night.

Did the user every say what his router or modem was?

CableConvert
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

CableConvert

Premium Member

Modem is SB6120. I use IPCOP 2.0.6
PBS was fine the other day...now buffering every 2 minutes.