Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike

Re: [Parts Check] What CPU would you considere to be old

Underpowered for what though? The single-thread speed is pretty much the same as the i5's and i7's. Even games typically (with some exceptions) don't run much faster on an i5 or i7 than an i3, let alone office work or web browsing that most people are doing.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Judging by the usage of my i5 I would say that the majority of applications the average person might use, even hd video processing without gpu acceleration can easily be processed by the i3 with room to spare even if it didn't have the intel gpu. I think I've seen my processor go turbo only a couple times for a short period otherwise it's been running underclocked most of the time even with a gpu accelerated game running.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

There is nothing wrong with an I3. I have one in a laptop nd compared to the way old laptop it replaced it is blazing fast. For general use, photo editing, school, etc it is fine.

There is nothing wrong with an 8080 if it suits your needs.
pandora

4 edits

pandora to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

I consider an i3 3220 minimal these days for a new computer, but it's far from already being obsolete.

We may have differing ideas about minimum. For me, an I5 is minimal for a laptop, an I7 minimal for a desktop. In the future, there will be new minimums.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Why? You can't gkick kids any quicker with 8 threads over 4.

You don't need an i7 as a desktop gaming CPU until you go SLI/Crossfire on a high-end card anyways.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9 to 47717768

to 47717768
I wouldn't be willing to even work on a computer that doesn't have at least 2 physical cores running at 2.6ghz or faster.
My main desktop is an AMD FX8350 @ 4.8ghz, water cooled. I've got two media servers running core2duos at 3.0ghz and 4gigs ram each. Hell, my cell phone has two cores, why should a computer have any less?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
It's an opinion.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Doh!!! One last punch huh?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Raible:

said by Krisnatharok:

Doh!!! One last punch huh?

haha...if the knife is still stuck in there, you might as well twist it a little huh?
coma9
United State

coma9 to sk1939

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Anything older than a "iX" series CPU. No, I'm not kidding, I hit RAM limits with the Core 2 Duo/Quad for the most part.

I recently sold my Core2Quad machine. Had a QX6850 (Core2Extreme) clocked at 3.6ghz water cooled. The board had a maximum of 8 gigs of ram, and I was only running 4. 4x1gig sticks. Ran great, was a beast of a gaming machine, but the money I sold it for, and used towards my new 8core was to good of a deal to pass up. Made $1800 on that rig, with 2xATI-HD4670 video cards, and the water cooling setup, I think they got an OK deal. I'm sure that rig is still kicking ass online. Upgrade the video cards and it should keep up with most rigs no problem.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

$1800! A 3570k machine with a 7790 can spank that machine for less than half the money. For that money you can get into 16gb ram, a big SSD and a 7970 and probably still afford to watercool it.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by pnjunction:

$1800! A 3570k machine with a 7790 can spank that machine for less than half the money. For that money you can get into 16gb ram, a big SSD and a 7970 and probably still afford to watercool it.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Whoever paid 1,800.00 for that is a fuckin' moron.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

haha...if the knife is still stuck in there, you might as well twist it a little huh?

OT but no knife, a GM can gkick.
coma9
United State

coma9 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by pnjunction:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Whoever paid 1,800.00 for that is a fuckin' moron.

People are willing to pay a pretty penny for those Extreme Edition CPUs, I'm not agreeing they were the brightest person I've ever met, but I honestly think the machine was easily still worth $1000-$1200. The case with the watercooling setup it had, was easily still a $300 bill. 1200watt powersupply, board maxed with ram, a 120gb raptor and a 1tb 7200rpm. A legal copy of Win7pro 64bit as well The old 2x4670s were a bit dated, but this was almost a year ago, so not to bad.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by coma9:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by pnjunction:

People are willing to pay a pretty penny for those Extreme Edition CPUs, I'm not agreeing they were the brightest person I've ever met, but I honestly think the machine was easily still worth $1000-$1200. The case with the watercooling setup it had, was easily still a $300 bill. 1200watt powersupply, board maxed with ram, a 120gb raptor and a 1tb 7200rpm. A legal copy of Win7pro 64bit as well The old 2x4670s were a bit dated, but this was almost a year ago, so not to bad.

Not even worth $1,200. Not only are those used electronics, they're outdated also.

But hey...more power to you, if you actually found a person willing to pay that amount of money for that PC.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

The QX6850 goes for $180, which is way overpriced I would say, given that is what a 2500K goes for.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to coma9

Premium Member

to coma9
Yep, the top-end CPUs for pretty much any socket in the last few years are still expensive, even if they are completely obsolete. I paid a decent amount for my Opteron 185 less than two years ago, but I'm still attached to my Socket 939 machine. It runs quite well, 2.8 GHz with a slight undervolt (~1.26v).

I used it for 5 days while my main PC was out of commission, and it ran fine. Granted, it's a rather abnormal 939 build (GTX 460 1 GB, 4 GB RAM, Win7 x64, SSD).

Last year, I found an old Dell XPS tower at the dump. It was mostly gutted, but the heatsink was still mounted to the motherboard. I took it off and found a QX6700 . I ran it in my work PC for a few months, worked great. It'll be going in my new secondary PC at work once I build it (current one is a Dell Optiplex 740 with an Athlon X2 5050e).