Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

osx and 5.1

This is driving me nuts arr....... I have a zalman zm-rssc 5.1 usb card, I have set the output for 6 ch in audio midi setup (Which is a rediculous procedure to do for any OS to get 5.1 may I add), and the 5.1 works when I test...

But I cannot get any program to work (In OSX). TF2, etc. Anybody have any ideas? Is there an osx driver I'm missing? Any tf2 hacks?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Did you check for OS X compatibility before buying it? Zalman is a very pc centric brand, i wouldn't expect them to support Mac at all...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

It does support osx, and again I get 5.1 running in audio midi setup...

5.1 is very difficult to get running on osx, so unless you have helpful information...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Ah, i didnt know... can you maybe post screenshots of your audio midi setup?
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Metatron2008

Other sources indicate you will only get 5.1 if you hook cables to all three analog outputs; you only get stereo via optical or SPDIF »forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=217752
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

I have hooked up to all 3...

And as for the audio midi? Well I'll start with the inherit problem here: If you want to modify sound, you would imagine that you would modify it thru sound in system preferences, right? WRONG! At least when Apple is concerned, because Apple apparantly loves to make things difficult as hell if they don't expect that lots of people would want to use something (And who would actually want 5.1 sound with hd movies in itunes right? ).

Instead of messing with sound, you click on applications/utilities/audio midi setup, and then this pops up:

Then you set your audio for 6 ch (5.1). If you didn't know about midi audio, you'd be lost for a long time like I originally was!

The problem is, it works in audio midi, but not in games like tf2. Does the OSX version of TF2 work for 5.1? I cannot seem to find this online, but it should, it's pretty much the same exact game!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

In itunes, you have a bubble that lets you pick english (stereo), or english (Surround). My bubble only allows english (stereo). Does anybody have an idea to what is wrong? All 5 speakers test out perfectly in audio midi setup, only problem I notice is that when testing the subwoofer the sound comes thru the center speaker