spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

[MBPr]Is 256Gb enuf 4 Mac OS-X, restore partition & Windowz?

I am considering a MBPr at an attractive price.

However, it only comes with 256 Gb of the solid state storage and one cannot add more.

• Is this enough room to give Mac OS-X, the recovery partition, and Windowz (via Parallels) room to live comfortably?

Call me skeptical.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Probably depends on how much info you want to keep "local" to the machine. If you don't need to install many applications "in" your virtual machine and only maybe Office and a few other apps in the OS X side plus keep your iTunes music in the cloud and your iPhoto or Aperture pictures on an external drive... then yeah should be fine.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
For most people yeah, but it depends how much media you have and whether you need to have all of it on your laptop or it can stay on an external drive or a networked NAS box.

kerriskandie
join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

kerriskandie to Ugly

to Ugly
I agree, if you utilise the 'Cloud' and maybe ext HD or a NAS, you don't automatically need 500GB+, these days.....

I'm thinking of downgrading one of my machines from a poky 500GB 5400 rpm drive, to even as low as 128GB SSD.............

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
In general, yes. Honestly, I actually went with the 128GB version due to cost (it's a BYOD machine for work) and have plenty of space to spare. This is with OSX, Parallels, Win7, both Win and Mac Office instances and some other things as well as customer files and other data. I do archive material off to an external drive as "housekeeping" with a smaller internal storage device is one of the rules of the road...

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

Thank you all!

I suppose a Thunderbold drive will do nicely for added space to hold media and such.