IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Prepaid phones

A lot of prepaid phones can be activated anonymously without providing a name or SSN.

I'm sure the drug dealers are using prepaid phones to transact their dirty work. Back in the old days they used pagers and the police departments asked the phone company to switch the pay phones in high crime neighborhoods to pulse tone dialing so the pager systems would not recognize the touch tones.

The only way this form of spying is going to work is to pass a law requiring telecom companies to record and verify the identities of individuals who open a line of service like banks do when you open an account.

The only ones who are going to get scrutinized are law abiding citizens like myself as I have a contract plan with VZW which requires me handing over my personal information to VZW.

The drug dealers are going to use prepaid phones that don't require handing over personal information to activate service.

I know all this stuff because I like to watch Cops. I also know a few active and retired law enforcement officers.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Tower spoofing will grab the prepaid users' conversations too. Many countries do require prepaid phones to be registered, so the US will eventually follow their example since they are "more civilized" than us, but really we're at the point where signal tracking and voice identification can provide total surveillance.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Switching pay phones to pulse dialing -- did that actually work? The pager system will respond to the tones if you can generate them -- regardless of whether or not pay phone can generate them.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
Funny the AT&T GoPhone and Boost Mobile I've bought BOTH required the same info as if a contract phone.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

Tower spoofing will grab the prepaid users' conversations too. Many countries do require prepaid phones to be registered, so the US will eventually follow their example since they are "more civilized" than us, but really we're at the point where signal tracking and voice identification can provide total surveillance.

You said that to start a flame war, no? More civilized? Is rioting in the street and destroying property daily civilized (Greece), is taking 75% of a person's hard earned wage civilized (France), I can go on and on and on and on and on and on... ETC! There is a reason most of those "civilized" you call them would sell their first born to come to the United States! Maybe you could pack up and make room for them! Sound good?

5th