share rss forum feed

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

[WIN8] Just how much do people hate Windows 8

The verdict?

Summary: Some of you don’t like Windows 8. And thanks to Internet comments and social media, you have lots of ways to express your loathing. But a closer look at one well-known real-world rating says Windows 8 might be more popular than you think.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Thanks for the link. I always enjoy Ed Bott's articles and that was an intriguing one with interesting conclusions.

One of the replies, led me to learn about Logitech's glass wireless touch pad for Win 8. It looks interesting. After two months of struggling with Win 8 on this new desktop, I installed Start8 and rarely use Metro side now. But if I had this Logitech touch pad maybe I would feel differently.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to mozerd
Click for full size
"Echo chamber amplifying a vocal minority" indeed.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
Had I got it from Amazon I probably would've been one of those early one star voters for XP who gradually came around. Vista and 7 probably would've gotten solid "mehs" from me, especially in hindsight.

8 does still have some annoyances for me. I'm thinking of installing ClassicShell just to move the Start Button up to the top like I've always had it before. Unlike 7 and Vista before it though, 8 provides a much better cost (read:annoyance):benefit ratio. For one, they got rid of the Vista-style start menu I hated.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
reply to mozerd
Like Windows 8 just fine and don't really miss the start button.

At first glace thought I'd miss the start button. But once short cuts for commonly used items are on the task bar and desktop, and understand the corners, the start screen is rarely used.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to mozerd
I just hate the metro interface, so I went with Start8 on mine & my son's laptop, to go directly to the desktop, as things should be.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to mozerd
I'm getting a new laptop in a few weeks and I plan on installing Windows 7 on it as it comes preinstalled with Win8 plus not totally 100% sure some of my hardware will work without issue in Win 8 (music related)

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to mozerd
I like Windows 8. Running on 3 machines full time.

Desktop, Laptop & Surface Pro 128gb

Desktop and Laptop are 3 + years old
--
- Bill

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
How could you say such a thing. Can't you tell from the thread subject that you're supposed to hate Windows 8. How dare you not be a good little sheeple. You should be banished from the Internet.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

CruiserMD
Premium
join:2003-04-26
Beltsville, MD

1 recommendation

reply to mozerd
Win 8 reminds me of Win Me. I just got a Dell Latitude with Win 7. Its fast, stable, reliable, and looks pretty too! Wait for Win 9, I MO.

RX300

join:2004-02-23
Bluff Dale, TX
Windows 8 desktop is no different than Win7, just faster. Add a third party start button and there is no difference in use.
What is all the fuss?

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to mozerd
I love my Windows Phone 8 and my Surface and I'm still happily running Windows 8 on my main development system, so I wouldn't be one of those people that hate Windows 8. Don't get me wrong Windows 7 is a killer OS, but Windows 8 is a platform that allows Windows to become so much more.
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
reply to CruiserMD
said by CruiserMD:

Win 8 reminds me of Win Me. I just got a Dell Latitude with Win 7. Its fast, stable, reliable, and looks pretty too! Wait for Win 9, I MO.

How can Windows 8 possibly remind you of Windows ME ? It is nothing at all like Windows ME ! Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7 which is also an excellent operating system, but a repeat of ME ? No way. ME was a true piece of memory leaking,system freezing junk. Windows 8 is not even remotely similar.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to mozerd
Win8 might be faster than Win7, but at what cost? It's like a stripped out Win7. Simple windows, annoying menus, and dumb changes just for sake of changing.

Now I have Win8 on my home machine, but still rather use Win7. It looks better, and for me, runs better. Win8 has run everything I threw at it, but I just can't get into it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Racerbob
said by Racerbob:

said by CruiserMD:

How can Windows 8 possibly remind you of Windows ME ? It is nothing at all like Windows ME ! Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7 which is also an excellent operating system, but a repeat of ME ? No way. ME was a true piece of memory leaking,system freezing junk. Windows 8 is not even remotely similar.

he's not talking about the look he's talking about how quick MS came out to replace windows ME.

That's why people here follow the pattern.. Some people here can get this and others chose not to want to hear it..

So lets start..

Most of this seemed to start around the Windows ME version and upwards..

Windows ME - Bad
Windows XP- Good
Windows Vista - Bad (mixed reviews)
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Bad (Mixed reviews)
Windows 8.1 - TBA

One thing I noticed about Vista is how much hard drive activity is going on while idle. And this is pretty clean systems where Win 7 had less usage for some reason For the same amount of memory and the same amount of time Win 7 ended up doing less activity on the hard drive when idle.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!