spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bluedyedvd

join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

dsl users have a choice on what dsl provider they use.

dsl customers have a choice of what provider they use unlike cable the telco still have to share there lines, so just go with a uncapped service.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

If you are lucky enough to live in an area where there is a CLEC. Many of those areas already have U-Verse.

Gdadkins

join:2009-05-11
Mantachie, MS
reply to bluedyedvd

They may have to share the lines, but that doesn't mean they have to share the lines at a cost effective price to another provider. I essentially have a private telco that is in this county (all surrounding areas are pretty much AT&T) and I have NO other choice in broadband in the form of other DSL providers OR cable. Although Comcast does do TV in my area, they will not do internet service in our county for whatever reason. The country directly west of us however, Comcast does deploy internet and VOIP services there.

So I'm still stuck on my $49.95 4.5 Mbps DSL that is required to be bundled with phone service, so I'm out roughly $75 a month.

maubs

join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
reply to bluedyedvd

No, I don't really have a choice. Only other option is DSL Extreme, and AT&T tells them my line is only capable of 3mbps when I'm getting 6 (well, 5) from them. Ugh.
No cable, Satellite/wireless are not a viable alternatives. I"m getting hit each and every month for overages with a 150GB cap. As a cord cutter, this is just gouging, when we're hundreds of miles from U-Verse territory as well.

Received 4/2. Seriously, AT&T, you need to charge me more!?

Dear AT&T High Speed Internet Service Customer,

We previously notified you that you exceeded your AT&T High Speed Internet data plan and were provided an additional 50 GB data pack for $10.

You have reached 75% (or 37.5 GB) of your additional 50 GB data pack for the current billing period.*

If you exceed this additional 50 GB data pack, we will provide you with another 50 GB of data for $10. You'll be charged $10 for every incremental 50 GB of data provided to you beyond your 150 GB plan.

Please visit att.com/internet-usage to review our helpful FAQs, view your personalized usage report**, and take advantage of our data calculator.

Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Sincerely,

Your AT&T High Speed Internet Customer Care Team

Please do not reply to this email. This address is automated, unattended and cannot help with questions or requests.

*As of 03/31/2013.

**On average, usage information will be reflected on the website within 1-4 days.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to bluedyedvd

said by bluedyedvd:

dsl customers have a choice of what provider they use unlike cable the telco still have to share there lines, so just go with a uncapped service.

As another member has pointed out just because they have to share the lines does not mean it has to be at a fair or even reasonable price. For that reason ATT in my area ( far burbs of Chicago IL) has no competition from any company offering DSL over there lines. Not to mention that since Comcast decided to unobserved the area ATT is the only game in town.

Despite what many out here were told ATT years ago decided to not upgrade our area to U-verse, I/we were told by top end techs and department managers U-verse was coming in 2008-9. Now in 2013 I'm Still waiting and no Uverse why because ATT has a monopoly on the area. No competition means no reason to dump the cap or even upgrade our area to Uverse no matter how much we all ask for it.

If some company was to offer a type of MVDDS system out here( similar to OMG fast in miami ), see how quick ATT would up grade this area to U-verse to compete and never even mention a cap again.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to maubs

They only provision to the tier that you can actually fully receive, which sucks for the few like you who are out in the sticks. Here, it doesn't matter, as we have 100% cable coverage by franchise agreement, so anyone who knows their stuff is using cable.

JAQUEBAUER

join:2007-09-20
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to bluedyedvd

Not true

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to bluedyedvd

If I were drinking Dew, it'd be dripping out of my nose right now. This isn't 1999. 99% of 3rd party DSL providers were pushed out of the market by the local "we own the wire" telcos -- the ones from whom you say have to allow access. When a UNE costs $60/mo, you cannot compete with the telco provided service at $40/mo. Sure, on paper they're required to sell lines, but the costs will not be competitive -- and as Covad has proven all over the country, the local telco does screw with their lines and drag their feet fixing *any* issue. (I've been a Covad customer [read: reseller], and had to deal with this stupid crap personally.)

Like the dialup days of old, the days of anyone being as ISP ended long ago. The local telco doesn't want any competition, and has complete authority to prevent it.

Forsaken77

@optonline.net
reply to Gdadkins

That's insane pricing. I pay $30/month and I get a 50/5Mbps connection. It's getting to the point that when you move to a new house or apartment that you have to ask if internet is offered there, along with property taxes and the quality of the schools. Internet is not a luxury anymore, its fast becoming a necessity.

cubguy

join:2010-07-09
Greenwood Springs, MS
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Gdadkins

said by Gdadkins:

They may have to share the lines, but that doesn't mean they have to share the lines at a cost effective price to another provider. I essentially have a private telco that is in this county (all surrounding areas are pretty much AT&T) and I have NO other choice in broadband in the form of other DSL providers OR cable. Although Comcast does do TV in my area, they will not do internet service in our county for whatever reason. The country directly west of us however, Comcast does deploy internet and VOIP services there.

So I'm still stuck on my $49.95 4.5 Mbps DSL that is required to be bundled with phone service, so I'm out roughly $75 a month.

We are one county below you and only in Amory and Aberdeen do they have any cable that offers highspeed broadband. Smithville has it via DSL and we have it a few places out in the central county but AT&T has chosen to "overload" a DSLAM here and the service fluctuates on a daily basis. A smart more for them would be to break a line somewhere and roll some of the current customers onto a new DSLAM somewhere where everyone would be equally service with quality service. This far out...Cable isn't even an option.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Forsaken77

I researched that very topic before buying a retirement home. Saw beautiful homes at good prices but NO INTERNET services, spotty or no cell phone service so passed on them. The Internet is a utility that more and more people use to gauge desirability. If a private company won't offer the internet at reasonable prices maybe just maybe a city/state offering s/b considered. I pay for water and garbage to a city so why not Internet?

slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH
reply to bluedyedvd

We have no choice cause no one wants to share out here.
--
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Jillxz

join:2009-02-18
Cochran, GA
reply to bluedyedvd

We don't have any uncapped data provders in my area. We have no choice here. Not everyone lives in the suburbs of a large metropolitan area

We have two choices here. AT&T DSL or ComSouth cable with DSL or Fiber optic cable depending on where you live. Both have data caps.

AT&T is capped at 150 GB for Extreme DSL 6.0 $48.00 Monthly or ComSouth capped at 120 GB for 10Mbps $49.95 monthly.

Jillxz

join:2009-02-18
Cochran, GA
reply to Forsaken77

Nope. We don't have a choice in my area . Both providers that we do have , cap data at 120 GB for one provider and 150 GB for the other one. ZERO providers wih no data caps

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to buddahbless

Actually you do have options for DSL. It's just only up to 6megs. And chances are its from MegaPath/Covad/Speakeasy, DSLX or some other reseller/wholesaler.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to bluedyedvd

Luckily CT was smart and way back in the day even before broadband and did 100% cable buildouts by franchise agreement. And I have no bandwidth cap (for now anyways). I'll probably do 300+GB this month.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

Wow! Am I understanding your statement correctly? All of CT residences are capable of an easy connection to hybrid fiber coaxial cable HSI with just a regular service call, as long as they are connected to the regular electricity grid. Even if they are also required to be in a regular POTS service area that would be amazing. I must be missing something.

BiggA

EARTH

AFAIK, everyone in CT is provided cable to the edge of their property, so the only time they would have to build out is if they have a ridiculous driveway, and every case I've ever heard puts that being done at the MSO's expense, I'm not sure how much the cost is. I'm sure there are exceptions, like islands, but in general, that's the case. The franchises were done by town, and to do that town meant that town, not some parts of it. There might be some requirement like X houses per cable mile, but in CT, that would effectively be the same as EVERYWHERE, as we have a high density overall. HFC is just a given here. TVC, a local overbuilder is also 100% overbuilt, I don't know how that works for MDU's, but at least in the complex I'm in, we can get either, and AFAIK, it is DPUC mandated to offer the tenants either. That, and every system has PEG channels, DPUC mandated that the cable provider charge and pay for, and allocate access at the same level as other channels.