BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

How long to turn on DSL Service?

Hello,

My service was supposed to be activated on April 1st (have the unfortunate luck of being in an office building that only has centurylink at the moment.)

I have four phone jacks in the office I'm in... so far no matter what I plug into I don't get the DSL light on the motorola 3347 modem I'm using...

I also having gotten an email from centurylink saying that my service has been activated... I'm just wondering when they normally turn on the service or if I need to have someone come look at the phone lines here (dsl is all greek to me... cable seems so much more user friendly.)

Thanks!

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I can be up to 8pm. Did you tell them that you had 4 phone jacks? They would need to wire the DSL to work for one of them. You also say your DSL was "supposed" to be activated today. I'm thinking you might want to reword that since they haven't missed their opportunity to hook your service up yet. You are "scheduled" to have DSL installed today would be more like it.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to BlakePaulson
Usually in an office building, the phone company will only take the service to the demarc (the point of demarcation).
This is often in a utility room or some other spot in or on the building.
If you ordered your DSL with dialtone, then you should be able to figure it out rather easily.
If you ordered "dry" DSL and don't know the TN, then you are SOL. I'm pretty sure all CenturyTel DSL rides dialtone - need it or not. I think it can only make outbound calls to 911.
FWIW, they are supposed to tag it at the demarc. Then it's usually a simple matter of toning out your jacks and punching them down appropriately.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to GetMoney
said by GetMoney:

I can be up to 8pm. Did you tell them that you had 4 phone jacks? They would need to wire the DSL to work for one of them. You also say your DSL was "supposed" to be activated today. I'm thinking you might want to reword that since they haven't missed their opportunity to hook your service up yet. You are "scheduled" to have DSL installed today would be more like it.

Well it's really awesome if they turn it on at 8PM and I get charged for the entire day worth of service that lasted 4 hours.

Anyway... I'll probably have to get someone to wire the thing correctly as whoever was a tenant here before did a number (everything's still hooked up but I have no idea what does what.)

I don't mean to sound impatient... it's just after you've been tethering to t-mobile running edge speeds for a week it's enough to drive you crazy. Not only that but my parents have centurylink in their town and the service is rather lackluster... I'm not expecting much... I just need internet service until charter has a chance to fire up service for the building...

As for the service... it's supposed to be dry loop as I don't have phone service... I do get a dialtone out of one of the jacks... the wiring closet is a mess to say the least...

I guess I figured since they either send out a modem or you bring your own that they just turned on the service at the head and didn't have to do anything at the actual location.

I called centurylink and they said that they haven't gotten to it yet (the workorder doesn't have any notes on it) but it should be ready to go by 5:00PM today.

GetMoney

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
As far as I know your first day of billing from CenturyLink would be the first full day of service, not the day it's installed. I certainly understand the need for the service. CenturyLink doesn't offer Dry-loop DSL any longer. They have a standalone DSL product called Pure Broadband, but you'll get a dial tone on it. Works for 911 only. That's how they'll get to bill you a few dollars a month in taxes/fees. I hope it works out well for you. Do your parents pay for top of the line service? If they do and don't get it you have an issue that needs to be addressed. CenturyLink has a somewhat spotty presence here on DSLR, but you can email them at talktous@centurylink.com.

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
Well the guy showed up... super nice guy... seemed very knowledgeable.

Fortunately the one line that had a dialtone on it works... so even though it's a wiring nightmare it looks like it'll work out just fine.

I'm provisioned for 10mbps and I'm getting it so I'm super happy so far. Very low pings...

GetMoney

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Good to hear. Hopefully it'll work out for you. Did you get a business line or a residential line? In all seriousness though, if you ever do have trouble email that address. They've been very helpful with any concerns I've sent them. They just don't really reply to people on here anymore. Probably because people complain too much here, but who knows!

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
It let me pay for a residential line so I just went with that... at $60 a month it's still pretty spendy compared to cable (but alas we can't get cable here.)

For 10mbps down and 768kbps up it's not bad. Wish it had a little bit more on the upstream side but thats the way it works in the DSL game.

All in all so far I'm actually surprised and happy. I thought for sure I was going to be disappointed and I've been pleasantly surprised... hopefully it stays that way!