The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream

What I would like to see...

...is a provider who actually cares about the customer, and is only in the business of providing a pipe for a reasonable cost. I'm not asking for free. In fact, just for future reference, I don't torrent hardly at all anymore. If I do torrent, it's mainly for the odd song that I can't find on iTunes. For the most part, just about all of my content has been bought by me thanks to Steam, redbox etc. I don't watch much TV, and I don't miss it to be honest.

I just want a pipe, unhindered by the provider, and not given all-access to Big Brother. I am not in the business of sacrificing my privacy for the marginal "safety" in return.

I think government regulation is needed, unfortunately, and that's not something that I type lightly. However, I know that will not come to pass in my lifetime, and if it does, great. If not, then it wouldn't come as a surprise to me.
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by The Limit:

...is a provider who actually cares about the customer, and is only in the business of providing a pipe for a reasonable cost. I'm not asking for free.

I just want a pipe, unhindered by the provider, and not given all-access to Big Brother. I am not in the business of sacrificing my privacy for the marginal "safety" in return.

I think government regulation is needed, unfortunately, and that's not something that I type lightly. However, I know that will not come to pass in my lifetime, and if it does, great. If not, then it wouldn't come as a surprise to me.

In my lifetime, deregulated markets have served us remarkably better than those regulated or operated by government.

AT&T/Pacific Bell and Verizon/GTE services were extremely costly and patently awful under regulation. With partial and/or full deregulation, the cost has come way down, even before adjusting for inflation, and the competition, while limited, provides a way out, where one was previously just stuck.

The big pipes will come, when they can be laid at a price point that the majority will pay. Government intervention will only increase the cost.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
reply to The Limit

As do I. That is exactly the product I have now.

But most companies don't want to be the dumb pipe...