spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kennye
join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX

kennye

[IMG] Next IMG?

Any word on the next IMG release date and what enhancements/fixes will be included?
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

»www.facebook.com/Verizon ··· e_update
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

If this is true, I do not see any difference in the supposed new fonts and filters, as well as the enhanced clarity in the channel guide.

I on the other hand, do not classify this as a software update. This is just an overnight push of subtle changes. Like a rearrangement of menu items etc.

Also to me, the next IMG should be something like: IMG 1.9.xxx
Like how we are all on 1.9.1 now.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to blue_trooper

Premium Member

to blue_trooper
For those of us that don't care to have facebook, would someone like to fill us in on what it says? Thanks.
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

Update no. 4-8-15-16-23-42 is designed to modernize your user experience. You'll notice subtle changes to the channel guide to enhance clarity while searching for The Real Housewives (yes, we know everything you watch). Changes include the addition of new fonts and filters.

Only available April 1, 2013
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

This is probably an April Fools thing. If so, I do not find it funny at all.
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

1 recommendation

blue_trooper

It's a tube TV, the guide is in Comic Sans, the numbers are from LOST, there is a cat involved...

Admittedly as April Fools pranks go this one was pretty lame but the gravitas given to things like the IMG on this site is funny as hell.
kennye
Carrollton, TX

kennye

My post was a legitimate question. Not sure how the April fools joke relates. IMG has a big influence on user experience such as external drives.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

I think this is a way of saying that nothing has been announced. Neither content nor date.
I would assume that all of their work is going for the new system (media server).

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to kennye

Premium Member

to kennye
said by kennye:

Any word on the next IMG release date and what enhancements/fixes will be included?

It will be years before you see any major changes, the current image was almost 2.5 year project and that's just from when Verizon was tell the public about it. The roll-out alone for changes spanned 1 year across all VHO's to be deployed
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

1 recommendation

blue_trooper to kennye

to kennye
said by kennye:

Not sure how the April fools joke relates.

It was Verizon's announcement today via Twitter about an IMG update. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a real one.

What enhancement are you waiting for the most?
kennye
Carrollton, TX

kennye

What enhancement are you waiting for the most?

Wasn't really looking for any enhancements. I've had Fios TV since 2007 and it seems there has been an IMG upgrade every year or so. It has been about 18 months since 1.9 and a year since 1.9.1. Thought there might be a new release in the works.

I am not looking for any earth shattering enhancements. If anything, would like to see Verizon stabilize the IMG and improve the performance. The IMG does some weird things and there are situations where performance can be very slow.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9

I recommend making sure you have 7xxxx boxes or above for stability and speed. Also, making sure your signal levels for inband SNR are above 35dB, and OOB SNR are above 25dB. If all those factors are met, you should be getting good speeds between pages in the menu and IMG, as well as channel changing.
kennye
Carrollton, TX

kennye

I have 2 7232s and the signal is strong on both boxes. The issues with the IMG are predictable and can be recreated. Hopefully, they will be fixed at some point.
coma9
United State

coma9

said by kennye:

I have 2 7232s and the signal is strong on both boxes. The issues with the IMG are predictable and can be recreated. Hopefully, they will be fixed at some point.

I could de-ac and re-ac your boxes for you, and repush the IMG to them if needed. If your SNR is 36-38 you should be great, and just need the boxes reinitialized.
kennye
Carrollton, TX

kennye

Thanks for the offer. The channel SNR is 41, the OOB SNR is 23. Not sure which SNR to review. I have reset the DVRs using the In home agent Reboot STB and Fix FIOS TV Issues. Not sure if there is any difference, but I did both. The problems still occur after doing the resets.
coma9
United State

coma9

said by kennye:

Thanks for the offer. The channel SNR is 41, the OOB SNR is 23.

Actually, 41 is a little high. You may have extra noise on the line and need a filter. I'd schedule a VZ tech to come out and look at it, and if you don't have the Inside Wiring & Maintenance plan, add it before setting up the dispatch.
kennye
Carrollton, TX

kennye

Is there any way to set up a filter without engaging Verizon? I don't want to sign an Inside Wiring & Maintenance plan for 200 feet of coax cable and a couple of splitters.
coma9
United State

coma9

said by kennye:

Is there any way to set up a filter without engaging Verizon? I don't want to sign an Inside Wiring & Maintenance plan for 200 feet of coax cable and a couple of splitters.

You could get an electrician with a Sun Rise meter to come check it out, but you've probably got noise on the line some where. If you're within 90 days of install they will give you a tech for free.
Also, if you're cool with the field tech and request he just check the line for free (the VZ tech on the phone HAS to advise of possible charges anytime they send out a tech), he'll probably just waive the charges of the entire visit even if he fixes it.
Be super polite to him, hook him up with a glass of lemonade if it's a warm day or something, or just a glass of ice water. Just the gesture can get the guy to waive your charges completely.
I do recommend getting one of our techs out there though to check the light at the ONT, and the coax going into the home for noise, that should be free of charge.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to coma9

to coma9
said by coma9:

said by kennye:

Thanks for the offer. The channel SNR is 41, the OOB SNR is 23.

Actually, 41 is a little high. You may have extra noise on the line and need a filter. I'd schedule a VZ tech to come out and look at it, and if you don't have the Inside Wiring & Maintenance plan, add it before setting up the dispatch.

The HIGHER the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR), the BETTER the signal. QAM-256 works with SNR as low as 33; for OOB (out of band) which uses different modulation, SNR can be as low as 15 to work well.

The SNR can NEVER be too high. Don't confuse Signal to Noise Ratio with signal strength. A signal CAN be too strong and cause overload, especially on an analog tuner.

The original poster's signal is very good. The IMG lags he is experiencing are due to limitations in the QIP 7232 hardware design. Some will be solved with the introduction of Verizon's multimedia whole house server due out later this year.
coma9
United State

coma9

said by Betamax76:

The HIGHER the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR), the BETTER the signal. QAM-256 works with SNR as low as 33; for OOB (out of band) which uses different modulation, SNR can be as low as 15 to work well.

You'll get HD channel pixelation on 33dB, no questions asked. 15dB OOB and you'll get serious pixelation on VOD and slow IMG loading times. Don't know how long you've been working with VZ, but I've been here 6 years.
said by Betamax76:

The IMG lags he is experiencing are due to limitations in the QIP 7232 hardware design. Some will be solved with the introduction of Verizon's multimedia whole house server due out later this year.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 7232 isn't the problem. One of the newest DVRs Verizon has to offer, and has 512MB RAM. Even our newest Cisco box has 512MB RAM and is very comparable. The 7232 is our flagship at the moment.

OP, get a VZ tech out there to look at it, it should be a free visit. It can't hurt to have them look at it. If they charge you for the visit for what ever reason, talk to billing about getting it reversed, and 90% of the time they will.
If tech doesn't fix it, or can't, they won't charge you anyways. So it's a win/win.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

1 edit

Betamax76

said by coma9:

said by Betamax76:

You'll get HD channel pixelation on 33dB, no questions asked. 15dB OOB and you'll get serious pixelation on VOD and slow IMG loading times. Don't know how long you've been working with VZ, but I've been here 6 years.
said by Betamax76:

The IMG lags he is experiencing are due to limitations in the QIP 7232 hardware design. Some will be solved with the introduction of Verizon's multimedia whole house server due out later this year.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 7232 isn't the problem. One of the newest DVRs Verizon has to offer, and has 512MB RAM. Even our newest Cisco box has 512MB RAM and is very comparable. The 7232 is our flagship at the moment.

OP, get a VZ tech out there to look at it, it should be a free visit. It can't hurt to have them look at it. If they charge you for the visit for what ever reason, talk to billing about getting it reversed, and 90% of the time they will.
If tech doesn't fix it, or can't, they won't charge you anyways. So it's a win/win.

Most OOB modulation is accomplished using QPSK or QAM-16. This works well with a SNR greater than 15 db because it has a high degree of forward error correction and can only send data at a relatively slow speed.

Unlike cable companies, the OOB tuner on Verizon's boxes does NOT effect VOD or IMG performance. These functions are controlled by the MOCA router at frequencies near 1 GHz. It is certainly possible that the original poster's MOCA transfer speeds are slow. He can determine his MOCA speeds using the hidden diagnostics. If he is using RG-59 cable or has damaged RG-6 cable or connectors, he certainly could have problems with only the MOCA frequencies, effecting IMG performance and VOD.

Fios uses the OOB tuner for channel authorization and the occasional firmware update. Cable companies rely on the OOB signal for program guide data, which is why it takes so long for their boxes to load guide information and boot up initially.

The QIP7232 may be the latest and greatest box currently available, but it was designed in 2010. As such, it has a single core processor. Any new boxes designed today will have at least a dual core processor. The TiVo Premiere, which became available in 2010, has a dual core processor, but when it debuted only one core was used until a software update was implemented. Dual and quad core processors lead to a much faster interface if the software is well written. Flash memory is limited to 64 MB in the QIP7232. Any dual core box will have at least twice that.
coma9
United State

coma9

said by Betamax76:

The VIP7232 may be the latest and greatest box currently available, but it was designed in 2010. As such, it has a single core processor. Any new boxes designed today will have at least a dual core processor. The TiVo Premiere, which became available in 2010, has a dual core processor, but when it debuted only one core was used until a software update was implemented. Dual and quad core processors lead to a much faster interface if the software is well written. Flash memory is limited to 64 MB in the VIP7232. Any dual core box will have at least twice that.

Woah there, not a VIP7232, it's a QIP7232, as it's provisioned and running on the VZ FiOS network. OP, listen, you need a field tech out to investigate those signals. This guy here isn't even sure what his point is anymore, and thinks that a 7232 should by design have lag in the menus and IMG. That guide and IMG works fine on QIP7216s, and should have no problem on the QIP7232s. The guide isn't in HD on the older QIP6416s, but anything 7000+ should look and feel great. Enough said. End game.
kennye
Carrollton, TX

kennye

I am the original poster. I have two 7232 DVRs with external 2TB drives. One drive is home grown with an AVS drive and the second is a Toshiba. Both external drives are over 80% full.

Following are the issues that lead me to believe these are IMG/software issues. The issues are repeatable:
1) When scheduling a show or series that is over one week old, the DVR reboots. This was an issue with 1.9, it went away with 1.9.1 and come back again with the recent bug fix IMG. Usually after the DVR reboots, the shows can be scheduled.
2) When you hit the record button for a show currently in progress, the recording starts from when the record button is pressed, even though the earlier part of the show is in the buffer (the line is white back to the beginning of the show)
3) I have two DVRs. Both come off the same cable from the ONT with a splitter. The DVRs are five feet from each other physically. When trying to view a recorded show on the other DVR, there is a lag (usually 30 - 60 seconds), before it starts. If you have already started viewing the show and stop and restart, it will start up again immediately). I have tried a Verizon provided and my own splitter with no change in results. The SNR is very good for both DVRs.
4) There are times when the DVRs are sluggish and will pixelate. I think this is just a normal usage issue. I always felt the technology for the DVR is under-engineered.
kennye

kennye

The reason I originally made this post was to find out if a new IMG was going to be delivered. Growing up in the computer age, it is always interesting to see the new releases. You never know how a new release will impact you, positive or negative.