spc
uniqs
jokealot
join:2013-04-01
Normal, IL

jokealot to JC_

to JC_

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

The agent didn't mention anything about the $5 fee, but I think he did told me that there is nothing I need to do to get the upgrade. For the modem, he did seems to be a little bit hesitate, but he told me that it should be able to handle the 2Mbps upload.

For modem, he offered like new refurbished for $20 less. But Rogers plan provide free modem rental. So it's really hard to decide which way to go.

TekSavvyUser
@teksavvy.com

TekSavvyUser

Anon

- Rogers does not offer 200Gig for the plan you are asking
- You said "Rogers plan provide free modem rental", that does not sound like free. You say rental.

Trust me you are much better with Teksavvy than Rogers, this my personal opinion. I am not fan of Teksavvy, or an agent of them. But when you compare their plan and their price side by side vs. Rogers, it is not difficult to decide.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to jokealot

Premium Member

to jokealot
said by jokealot:

The agent didn't mention anything about the $5 fee, but I think he did told me that there is nothing I need to do to get the upgrade. For the modem, he did seems to be a little bit hesitate, but he told me that it should be able to handle the 2Mbps upload.

For modem, he offered like new refurbished for $20 less. But Rogers plan provide free modem rental. So it's really hard to decide which way to go.

TelSavvy may no longer be charging the $5 change fee. However you will not be able to upgrade to a new speed tier with the modem you have as Rogers will not allow it as the modem is Docsis2 and the new tiers require a Docsis3 modem.
jokealot
Normal, IL

jokealot

said by JC_:

TelSavvy may no longer be charging the $5 change fee. However you will not be able to upgrade to a new speed tier with the modem you have as Rogers will not allow it as the modem is Docsis2 and the new tiers require a Docsis3 modem.

Ok thanks, I will call again tomorrow to confirm about the admin fee, and modem requirement.
jokealot

jokealot to TekSavvyUser

to TekSavvyUser
said by TekSavvyUser :

- Rogers does not offer 200Gig for the plan you are asking
- You said "Rogers plan provide free modem rental", that does not sound like free. You say rental.

Trust me you are much better with Teksavvy than Rogers, this my personal opinion. I am not fan of Teksavvy, or an agent of them. But when you compare their plan and their price side by side vs. Rogers, it is not difficult to decide.

Rogers do have a hidden plan that offer 120GB+80GB bonus=200GB. I have their confirmation letter, and the modem rental is free (the charge $8 for it, but then apply a discount to offset it), and there are no contract, price guaranteed for 8 YEARS.

I am no fan to Rogers, when I cancel their cable TV, they disconnect my teksavvy cable internet for a whole week. But I think they are really trying to be competitive, Bell is doing the same thing too. I believe that IS the reason why teksavvy upgrade their service without increase their price. So from this point of view, we should thank Rogers, even though we used to hate them.

Of course, if they do drive teksavvy and others out of the field, we may be in trouble. But with 8 years ahead of us, we really needn't worry about that right now.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

I hope you realize within those 8 years Rogers can in general can hike rates and the discount you're seeing now will just be applied on the new rate. I could be wrong but this promise of "8 years, no contract" is recent and if we go by Rogers history (or that of any other incumbent), they can change the terms of any agreement as they feel like it. It'll be in your ToS that you verbally agree to when signing up, that you accept any changes to the service.

That being said, if they're offering you a competitive deal with no contract, you should go for it if 200GB fits your usage. Just warning you that that 8 year promise is just a hook.
jokealot
Normal, IL

jokealot

Just to update, I called the CSR (it did take a long time to get connected), and get some clarification for the modem: You can use the old modem for the new plan, it won't be 'disabled'; The old modem, for my case DCM425, can handle upload speed more than 1Mbps, though no exact number could be provided.

So I will stay with the old modem for a while, and see what speed can it handle. Though the CSR I talked with today didn't have upgrade schedule. The CSR I talked with yesterday said there is a thread in this forum, where Teksavvy have given the upgrade time table, can someone provide a link to that thread? A quick search didn't find it for me.
darrylr
join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

darrylr

»[Cable] ATPIA - Migration Schedule

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to jokealot

Premium Member

to jokealot
said by jokealot:

Just to update, I called the CSR (it did take a long time to get connected), and get some clarification for the modem: You can use the old modem for the new plan, it won't be 'disabled'; The old modem, for my case DCM425, can handle upload speed more than 1Mbps, though no exact number could be provided.

The CSR that you spoke to is 100% incorrect, Rogers will not allow you to use a Docsis2 modem I can 100% guarantee this, please see »[Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers which even shows that a Docsis3 modem is required for any new speed tier except 6/0.256 mbps.
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic

What will happen is you'll be grandfathered in with your old plan, and if it's currently using your old modem then it will continue to work. If you upgrade to one of the new plans then you'll need to get a new modem.