how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

enigmabob

join:2013-04-01
Columbia, MD

Cable run question: roughly 250ft distance

Yes, another question regarding running outdoor cable. I can't seem to find the true limits -- ie, at what point RG6 isn't an option.

I'm about to purchase a house on 1.6 acres. The home is at the back side of the lot - the opposite corner from where the driveway meets the road.

Comcast does not currently service this house and quoted me $5000 to install a line to the house. I've not yet found out from them if this is a hard line or 'regular' flexible coax.

I'm not 100% certain what the current home owner has installed from the house to the road but as he currently has Satellite, I'd imagine there is no coax ran yet.

I'm trying to not spend $5000 and am capable of dealing with PVC as a conduit and running/terminating coax.

So my questions are:

1) Can I use RG6 quad shield flooded coax for this 250ft install or do I actually need hardline? Is RG11 a possibility at all? (I understand loss but am not sure what is really usable for a data/tv Comcast run)

2) At what distance does this type of coax not work?

3) Does a long coax run get grounded ONLY at the house? With long runs is there ever a second ground point?

4) Anyone know how deep the cable needs to be buried in Maryland? Looks like 24 inches if direct buried or 18 inches in PVC conduit.

5) Anyone in Maryland ever dealt with this before? I've got a call out to Comcast but haven't heard back yet. Is Comcast going to attach to a cable I install? Would it be possible for them to simply run to the start of my property and install at a waterproof box there (and I'd attach my cable to their termination point there)?

Thanks in advance!
-Bob

bpratt

join:2006-10-24
Redwood City, CA
said by enigmabob:

Comcast does not currently service this house and quoted me $5000 to install a line to the house. I've not yet found out from them if this is a hard line or 'regular' flexible coax.

My guess is that most of the $5000 cost is for labor and/or conduit/overhead run. When I had a line extension installed last year the actual materials cost was approx. $2 per foot for some quite heavy duty co-ax (QR-320 I think, something between 1/2 inch and an inch outer diameter, and the copper core looked to be 2-3 mm)

1) Can I use RG6 quad shield flooded coax for this 250ft install or do I actually need hardline? Is RG11 a possibility at all? (I understand loss but am not sure what is really usable for a data/tv Comcast run)

2) At what distance does this type of coax not work?

3) Does a long coax run get grounded ONLY at the house? With long runs is there ever a second ground point?

4) Anyone know how deep the cable needs to be buried in Maryland? Looks like 24 inches if direct buried or 18 inches in PVC conduit.

5) Anyone in Maryland ever dealt with this before? I've got a call out to Comcast but haven't heard back yet. Is Comcast going to attach to a cable I install? Would it be possible for them to simply run to the start of my property and install at a waterproof box there (and I'd attach my cable to their termination point there)?

To keep costs down, I had the conduit and pull cord installed by my own contractor (2" PVC), and just had Comcast put in the coax line itself. Comcast covered the labor side of that and just charged me for the materials, which I got the impression was normal practice although I don't know for sure. So the amount I paid Comcast was quite low, compared to what installed the buried conduit cost

1) I'd suggest hardline, although you may get away with RG6. Fundamentally, the cost of the cable is NOT where you want to save money, nor will it be the major part of the cost.
2) Don't know, but again I don't think the coax is the place to cut costs.
3) I believe my extension (which is closer to 500 feet) is only grounded at the house and at the pole. There is a "breakout" into an in-ground utility box at the halfway point, but I believe that was to allow for an in-line amplifier if necessary, not for grounding. But I don't know for sure.
4) no idea, but my general rule would be deeper is better. I had my conduit installed with a directional boring machine, not by trenching, so depth wasn't as big an issue.
5) Again, my suggestion is to install the conduit from the road to your house, but let Comcast pull the cable itself.

Good luck
another Bob

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

2 edits
reply to enigmabob
Click for full size
$5000 is for more than a 250' drop. Something else is missing from that quote, so besides the 250' drop what else is needed? Where is the Comcast tap?

250' is a bit too far for RG6 with 16dB of loss at 1 Ghz. RG11 may be used in some areas, 320 may be used too, both have about 10dB of loss at 250'.

In general, average tap levels are between +10 to +20 dBmV. Cable losses plus split losses shouldn't drop the level end device below 0 on analog and -10 on digital. Comcast and/or local office specs might spec minimum levels a few dB higher.

SJTech

join:2013-01-28
reply to enigmabob
First of all, RG6 on a 250' drop is out. I would use a RG11(4db of loss/100') from tap to power, the bond "or ground" should be at the power meter. To trench here in San Jose, depth needs to be 24"

taz291819

join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL
reply to enigmabob
At 250ft, you want RG11.

The question is, are you 250ft from a current tap? If not, that's probably where the $5k figure is coming into play.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to enigmabob
You want what your local comcast says they will install and not what someone from the internet says. All cable systems are not the same and the specs isnt the same. If local specs are hardline thats what it has to be. What would really suck is if you install cable and them refuse to install or service it. Once comcast agrees to install it its on their dime to maintain it so they are going to want what they want. Not what someone else says may or may not work.

If your measuring from the meter to the pole dont forget to add about 28 feet for the pole itself. Now you are at 278 feet plus whatever you have to go around in the ground.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to enigmabob
$5000 is not for an rg11 drop. this is for a plant extension, which leads to me believe its longer then 250' to the closest tap/feeder
--
I'm better than you!

enigmabob

join:2013-04-01
Columbia, MD
reply to enigmabob
Thank you all for the information. I'm still waiting to hear back from Comcast. Hopefully this can all be worked out soon.

Thanks!

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to enigmabob
In this case, just Comcast. They will do it right the first time, ESPECIALLY if a plant extension is needed. I understand desire to save money, but in the long run, a solid internet connection will keep you happier.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
said by baineschile:

but in the long run, a solid internet connection will keep you happier.

And being that far remote you won't have any problems with slow-downs by the neighbors. Pretty much a designated line just for you.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by CUBS_FAN:

And being that far remote you won't have any problems with slow-downs by the neighbors. Pretty much a designated line just for you.

Not necessarily..

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to CUBS_FAN
this has nothing to do with it.
--
I'm better than you!

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to CUBS_FAN
said by CUBS_FAN:

said by baineschile:

but in the long run, a solid internet connection will keep you happier.

They are not running fiber to his house. It's RF, shared by everyone on the node.

cielbleu

@videotron.ca
reply to DrDrew
This cable loss calculator is it available somewhere on the net? Very cool with all the different cables including mini 59...

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Nope. I made it with excel and the data sheets from the listed cable makers

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
reply to cielbleu
said by cielbleu :

This cable loss calculator is it available somewhere on the net? Very cool with all the different cables including mini 59...

Yes, those resources are available on the internet. It's also given to all the commtechs. If you google for their manual PDF, you will find it.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to cielbleu
»www.net-comber.com/cable-loss.html
--
I'm better than you!

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to cielbleu

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
you need a login.
i assume its a copy of the RD22

heres a couple free links to similar PDFs
»www.oly-tech.com/pdf/bt_catv_ref.pdf
»www.sateng.com/downloads/BTBroad···uide.pdf

SeaSeaTee5

Maryland
reply to enigmabob
Almost. It's the RD-23. No login required but there was a terms and conditions page to accept. Must have recognized me when I tested the link.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Error - Invalid Credentials. Please try again.
It's quite insistent that credentials be supplied

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to SeaSeaTee5
said by SeaSeaTee5:

Almost. It's the RD-23. No login required but there was a terms and conditions page to accept. Must have recognized me when I tested the link.

it asks for a log in when it redirects to motorolas site.
try accessing it while not on a VPN.
--
I'm better than you!

SeaSeaTee5

Maryland
reply to enigmabob
It just has some goofy t & c page. If anybody wants it, go here...

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···n-Center

Click on the "browse" link, accept the terms and conditions then do a search for rd-23.

It will bring up a list of downloads. The rd-23 should be at the top.

WTG

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to enigmabob
When I built our home the terminal was about 250 ft away. We trenched our easement and installed a 2" schedule 40 conduit and Comcast pulled the line for us for free. Of course this was a new construction, so existing homes they may charge you the cost of the cable. It is probably cheaper to trench and install the conduit yourself if you really have to.
Comcast ran an RG11 for us, and it's been about 6 years. So far so good, we do have to run an amp, but other than that. Talk to your local Comcast "engineering" department (at least that's what they call it here in CA). Work with them in conjunction, they are more than open to in most cases. You can trench and place conduit, and they can pull.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

1 recommendation

even if you didnt trench, 250' is a STANDARD install. if the OP is being quoted $5000, as i said, its not a simple rg11/320 drop.
--
I'm better than you!