how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

[telephone modem] What works with OS-X & MBPr please?

I'll be away from reliable connectivity while on a trip.

And I cannot miss vital work due to a lack of hotel connectivity.

• Is there a good Mac-compatible old-fashioned telephone modem for the MBPr please?
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit

»www.usr.com/products/modem/modem···=USR5637
»www.zoomtel.com/products/dial_up···usb.html

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

This is cool, thanks! I am planning a trip and was wondering if there was a way to do dialup from my rMBP. The USR looks like the trick. Would I need any special software to use this modem? Or does OSX deal with these modems natively via network?

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

I'll add my 2 cents.
From many choices on different websites, the US Robotics name is one of, if not the, most well known and respected in the dial-up modem category.
i went with USR, even if it was a few dollars more.
Thanks Dr. Drew!
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

I am using the USR modem at work on a Mac mini...

While fugly and huge, it works great... It's really too bad that Apple abandoned support for their little modem which is about 1/4 of the size.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

Would I need any special software to use this modem? Or does OSX deal with these modems natively via network?

It seems the USR needs additional modem scripts installed above 10.4, but the Zoom scripts are built-in.

USR modem drivers:
»www.usr.com/support/product-temp···rod=5637

Zoom modem drivers:
»www.zoomtel.com/techsupport/dial···5F.shtml

--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to HiVolt

Odd, I didn't need any modem scripts or drivers for the USR... Worked right out of the box in 10.8.2
--

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I am using the USR modem at work on a Mac mini...

While fugly and huge, it works great... It's really too bad that Apple abandoned support for their little modem which is about 1/4 of the size.

Apple's modem was not really a hardware modem, it was software based and had issues being consistent. We have a client running a mac mini server and a 4Sight Fax server that just keeps working with a USR modem.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

said by TamaraB:

Would I need any special software to use this modem? Or does OSX deal with these modems natively via network?

It seems the USR needs additional modem scripts installed above 10.4, but the Zoom scripts are built-in.

Thanks! I would have opted for the USR. In an earlier life I used USR modems for both dialup and dialin. They were top of the line. But then again I was using Linux back then. I know Mac is very peculiar when it comes to compatibility.

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Odd, I didn't need any modem scripts or drivers for the USR... Worked right out of the box in 10.8.2

Hmmmm..... Well, USR is a known entity to me. I have always had good service from their modems. A call to their sales folks is next. Thanks all!! There is a solution or two.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to rugby

said by rugby:

Apple's modem was not really a hardware modem, it was software based and had issues being consistent. We have a client running a mac mini server and a 4Sight Fax server that just keeps working with a USR modem.

I am running an older mini with 10.6 for a incoming fax on the Apple modem for several years now without any issues whatsoever.

The USR is running flawless on another mini with 10.8.
--