spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matacka

join:2013-04-01

New 45/4 going at half that...

Hey guys, I'm new here and also new with Teksavv. After being with Rogers for over a decade, I finally switched off at the new residence. The technician came in today, set up the wiring and within an hr I was good to go after some trouble shooting to get my net up on my end. My issue however, is that after checking speed tests on multiple sites, I seem to not be able to budge over 20/3, while the package I got is 45/4. Can anybody with similar issues or somebody that knows how to resolve this help me out? Thank you.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

If you would like to post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum we can have a look at your situation.

Martin

matacka

reply to matacka

Must add, that now I tried the speed test on testmy.net an averaged @ 55.4 mbps. What gives ? Are these sites not reliable? Or browser based tests inaccurate? Which one is telling the truth ?

P.s. loading youtube vids on HD seems to buffer quickly, but i nthe end I can't figure out which results for the tests and correct.

matacka

reply to matacka

Will do! Re posting now.

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10
reply to matacka

Flash based tests tend to be unreliable, and even more so because some of the servers speedtest.net uses are overloaded and can't give proper speeds...I usually prefer to download a bunch of stuff at the same time (just to make sure I'm saturating my connection) and get an approximation of my speeds based on that. This also eliminates the Turbo Boost effect.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to matacka

You're fine. If you're capable of getting 55 mbps (Which you can, with speedboost) on any speedtest server, then that's what TSI is providing. Slower speeds on other tests are almost certainly a problem with the test server, not your service.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to matacka

ALL flash based speedtests are inaccurate. Go download a 100MB test file to accurately test your connection speed (after the first 25mb).
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

matacka

good to hear guys. It seems fast, I just wasn't sure about the speed testers. I'll go ahead and Dl some files later on and see how it goes, as I was going to pick up some full seasons with the 300gb cap now regardless :P

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
reply to matacka

Try running the Rogers speed test, which should tell you your speed to them. Keep in mind that with Rogers/Teksavvy cable, there is a speed boost in effect, which will provide uncapped download speed for the first 10MB of the download, so it is very normal to see speeds greater than expected during speed tests.

»www.rogers.com/speedcheck/

Bell speed test seems to be quite good and some speedtest.net servers should give you pretty good results as well. Teksavvy speed tests seem to be usually pretty slow and I would generally avoid those.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

the rogers speedtest is also not in any way useful since it's UDP based and opens huge amount of connections to force the packets through to your modem.

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to matacka

The bell speedtest is pretty decent. I have a 28Mbps connection and it tells me that I'm going 34Mbps... not too big an overshoot.
»support.bell.ca/Internet/Internet-Speed-Test

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

that's because of speedboost.

ZombieBanner

join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON
reply to matacka

I like to use:

»speedtest2.eastlink.ca

Choose the 100 MB file, and watch the download after 10, and 25 Mbps.

at 45 Mb/sec down you should download your transfer rate at 5.62 MB/s, considering this is hosted on the east coast I believe, anything above 5.2 MB/s I'd consider reasonable.

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

This Eastlink one works well for me

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to matacka

This is another test download file I've used too

»cachefly.cachefly.net/200mb.test