Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to rocca

MVM

to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

I just set uTorrent to have unlimited periods between 2 and 8, and limited the rest of the time. I set the limited speed at 50KB/s downstream (no upstream limit), and no limit the rest of the time.

There's no manual action required, it's all automatic. I just dump torrents into uTorrent, and it handles the bandwidth stuff. If I actually want something immediately rather than waiting, I just temporarily raise the limit (two clicks on the icon in the system tray), then set it back after.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

I just set uTorrent to have unlimited periods between 2 and 8, and limited the rest of the time. I set the limited speed at 50KB/s downstream (no upstream limit), and no limit the rest of the time.

There's no manual action required, it's all automatic. I just dump torrents into uTorrent, and it handles the bandwidth stuff. If I actually want something immediately rather than waiting, I just temporarily raise the limit (two clicks on the icon in the system tray), then set it back after.

In what version did uT add THAT degree of function control ?

And are there any OTHER reasons which might make it worth my while to move to a newer version from my otherwise perfectly functioning 2.0.1 ?

I did notice that mine would optionally let me set a monthly usage cap to not exceed, though.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by Davesnothere:

In what version did uT add THAT degree of function control ?

I don't know what version it was added, but some googling shows that uTorrent already had the scheduler 6 years ago...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

....some googling shows that uTorrent already had the scheduler 6 years ago...

....which indubitably paints me as a late adopter.

Of course, 6 years ago, we had not even gotten AROUND to fighting nor bitching about ISPs' throttling nor UBB, let alone concerning ourselves with bandwidth capacity management as we do with today's draconian CBB rules.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Davesnothere:

said by Guspaz:

....some googling shows that uTorrent already had the scheduler 6 years ago...

....which indubitably paints me as a late adopter.

Of course, 6 years ago, we had not even gotten AROUND to fighting nor bitching about ISPs' throttling nor UBB, let alone concerning ourselves with bandwidth capacity management as we do with today's draconian CBB rules.

I strongly beg to differ. I was most definitely bitching about throttling 6 years ago, and well before that. You'd be more accurate to say 16 years ago...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rednekcowboy:

I strongly beg to differ. I was most definitely bitching about throttling 6 years ago, and well before that. You'd be more accurate to say 16 years ago...

Throttling did not begin to bother ME until Bell snuck it in on the Indie ISPs and their customers, targetting p2p traffic, which was only around the time that I joined DSLR in 2009, and though I agree that there WERE some monthly usage caps before that, I (perhaps naively) had not yet found all that much which I wished to download.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Davesnothere:

said by rednekcowboy:

Throttling did not begin to bother ME until Bell snuck it in on the Indie ISPs and their customers, targetting p2p traffic, which was only around the time that I joined DSLR in 2009, and though I agree that there WERE some monthly usage caps before that, I (perhaps naively) had not yet found all that much which I wished to download.

The years tend to run together and I admit 16 years was a bit of a stretch but can say without a doubt that my battles began with Robbers and Bhell over throttling prior to 6 years ago. Actually when my wife and I got married in 2005, I had an epic battle with Robbers and my fight with Bell was a year or two prior to that.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rednekcowboy:

The years tend to run together....

I seem to recall some folks here saying that Rogers began throttling UPLOADS (which of course influences download speeds indirectly) of their own retail subscribers sometime before Bell started their BS with Indie ISPs.

I also recall reading here that Bell was throttling their own retail customers before the light bulb came on in their heads to do it to Indie ISPs' customers too, and that last part is what I believe would have begun around 2009.

Not sure who throttled their respective retail customers first, though.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

IIf I actually want something immediately rather than waiting, I just temporarily raise the limit (two clicks on the icon in the system tray), then set it back after.

Forse Start