All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa

Youtube throttled to 256k

on February 4th got a email about someone on this account watched a unauthorized youtube video and that youtube will be throttled down to 256k for 5 days the e-mail came from verizon
it has been more than 5 days and youtube still is very slow to the point that videos are unwatchable

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Is this happening even during the early morning hours when YouTube is experiencing less traffic for your region? Would you mind sharing the e-mail contents, less personal info?

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

1 recommendation

Demonfang to hrickpa

to hrickpa
what the f?!

i know youtube sucks, but i doubt verizon would actually do that. as stated by smith, i'd like to see this e-mail.

to check on what is really going on, when on a youtube video, right click it, and click video info. this will show an overlay containing a bunch of statistical data. in this area there is an http speed meter. if this really is stuck at 256kbps, you should call verizon and demand that they remove this cap, as what they are doing is likely illegal. there is no such thing as an unauthorized youtube video, every video on youtube is free for anyone to watch!

also, as this sounds fishy, you might also want to consider running a virus scan, as well as a spyware scan (using spybot s&d), as there might be something on your computer that's doing it.
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa

I dont have the e-mail any more because I thought it was a scam
some of the details that i remember that

Dear "my name"
Someone watched an unauthorized youtube video concert "had a link to the video" on your account, and youtube will be throttled to 256kbps for five days. for more info visit "verizon website" for more information

when i right click on the youtube video and click on show video info the tagstreamplayer, HTTP. never exceeds 256kbps
but when i use a VPN connection youtube work better

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

DC DSL

Premium Member

No question that was a scam. Run a full malware scan immediately and take any corrective action required.