Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3

Mikrotik V4 vs V5

I've been having more and more issues with my Mikrotik network. Most issues are either low performance, random disconnects and re-associations for no apparent reason, or the wireless session or PPPoE session locking up and refusing to pass data for no reason.

All the towers and clients are RB411's. Most of the towers were running v4, but a few had v5 on them. Clients were a mix between 4 and 5. When I started noticing issues, one of the things I started doing was upgrading to v5. It was somewhat nice because of the "any" wireless protocol setting which made it so much easier to try turning nstreme or NV2 on and off, that I ended up doing a lot more tweaking, somewhat masking the fact that the overall performance was worse on the exact same settings. I've been slowly downgrading a few towers and ALL clients on those towers back to 4.17, and things are starting to run much more smooth.

That's where I ran into a major problem. I downgraded another board a few days ago and it never booted back up. Drove to the tower and couldn't see the board. Figured it was just a bad downgrade, climbed and replaced the board. Got back on the ground, and stupidly decided to try the downgrade to v4 before spending any time configuring it. Same thing happened. Then I realized that this is the only board that isn't a 411A or 411AH. This is a 411UAHA. Does anyone know if this board is even capable of running v4? I wouldn't think it would try to install it if it weren't. All I know is that two downgrades in a row failed, and they were only on this model board.

So, in addition to my question about the specific downgrade issue, has anyone else seen issues with v5?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
I haven't had too much trouble with v5 over v4.
After upgrading to v5 we did have many issues with wireless but a reset wireless configuration fixed them. We have not experimented with NV2 though. Nstreme has always worked well.

Never any issues with pppoe though. Hundreds of sessions.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

jcremin

Siren, WI
said by Inssomniak:

After upgrading to v5 we did have many issues with wireless but a reset wireless configuration fixed them.

I've tried that a few times, but not enough to know if it makes a real difference or not. Mostly because I've been nervous about losing access to the customer if I don't get a script set just right to restore the settings.

said by Inssomniak:

We have not experimented with NV2 though. Nstreme has always worked well.

I've had mixed results with nstreme or NV2 vs. regular 802.11. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's much worse. One of the biggest issues I run into is the fact that either of the polling protocols can negatively affect an adjacent sector on the same tower, or even other towers nearby.

said by Inssomniak:

Never any issues with pppoe though. Hundreds of sessions.

The issues I had with PPPoE sessions locking up was with version 5.8 or earlier. I would be able to mac-telnet back into the board and reboot it. I haven't really had issues since upgrading to 5.10 and later.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
5.23 + NV2 has been awesome. PtMP on B/G/N 10Mhz channels doing up to 12Mbps to the CPE on 2+2 MiMo. Have PtP links on RB411GL doing 125Mbps 2+2+N. I do not do PPPOE. 5.22 or earlier with legacy B/G or A cards was a beatch though.

jcremin

Siren, WI
said by Semaphore:

5.23 + NV2 has been awesome. PtMP on B/G/N 10Mhz channels doing up to 12Mbps to the CPE on 2+2 MiMo. Have PtP links on RB411GL doing 125Mbps 2+2+N. I do not do PPPOE. 5.22 or earlier with legacy B/G or A cards was a beatch though.

Yeah, I've had great luck with it on 5ghz PTP links and a few 5ghz PTMP sites. I should have mentioned that the majority of my network is 900mhz with XR9's, so I don't really have much opportunity to do any high bandwidth stuff for those people, and that's where I've been having the issues with 5.x.

Anyway, I did get a concrete answer that the bootloader for the 411UAHL doesn't support ROS 4.x, so that solves that issue and I was able to netinstall back to 5.23 just fine.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
I've had OK luck migrating a few customers from 900 to 2x2MiMo on 2.4 with light foliage. MiMo is not the holly grail but it can do light foliage better than SiSo and NV2 helps to limit the impact re: AP/latency.
I saw iTElite has a 900Mhz dual pol enclosure... But has ANYONE seen a 900 MiMo Mini PCI card ?!?!?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
Don't think anyone makes an 802.11N 900 MHz PCI card at all
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to Semaphore
said by Semaphore:

I've had OK luck migrating a few customers from 900 to 2x2MiMo on 2.4 with light foliage.

Funny you should mention that. I'm just in the process of upgrading some of my towers from the old XR2's to dual pol N-based stuff so I can migrate some of the closer 900mhz customers over. I'm also adding some 5ghz where I'm able to migrate a few customers off of the 2.4.

said by Semaphore:

II saw iTElite has a 900Mhz dual pol enclosure... But has ANYONE seen a 900 MiMo Mini PCI card ?!?!?

I haven't seen any. If you ever find one, let me know.