All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cruisx
join:2009-10-25

4 edits

cruisx

Dual wan 2x 50Mbls Lines need some guidance.

Hey guys, I just got set up with 2 50Mbps dsl lines and they are both working great individually. Each modem has an Ethernet from Wan port to a port on my dual wan router.

Now my Question is, Do I need to do anything special with the Sagemcom modems before I can dual wan?

I don't have much time today but I did try to attempt it really quickly but it only seemed like one line was working out of the two coming into my Pfsense box.

Like I said didn't have too much time but it might have been complaining about some same gateways warning?

Do I need to set each in DMZ mode and then point my OPT1 and WAN interface to those IP's for each modem?

EDIT: Just found out I'm on a 7330, that would mean with another modem I could attain full speed MLPPP correct? Any cheap recommendations? The ones iv seen seem a tad pricey.

»www.cdw.ca/shop/products ··· 514.aspx

139 * 2 = Ill be kicked out of the house.

Edit2: Hows this one? »www.ebay.ca/itm/251170480866
EDIT3: Eh placed 2x order on the Huawei HG610

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Don't forget that if you want to do MLPPP, you'll need to register for it if you haven't already done so.

MLPPP is $4 with a Static IP.

Martin

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cruisx

MVM

to cruisx
MLPPP is currently impossible with the 50 meg VDSL2 service since the Bell-required modems can't do full speed in bridged mode, hence why cruisx is asking about dual wan.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

impossible isn't really true, if you're on a 7300 you can purchase a non-bell modem which should work.
cruisx

1 edit

cruisx

yea that is why i ended up buy the modem from ebay. An other user said it worked really well so that should be able to do full speed mlppp.
mikefallen
join:2010-01-27
Scarborough, ON

mikefallen

i'm hating( extreme jealousy) on your 100/20 connection what does the bill come too total?
cruisx

cruisx

I think the total is around ~143 taxes in. So under $150.

LOL just for the heck of it I did try using connectify dispatch to download a quick 4K YouTube video.
»www.connectify.me/dispatch/

it showed both lines pulling down at 51Mbps so combined I was getting around 101-102Mbps. Ill just run my setup off connectify until these new routers come in sometime next week ......Or this weekend try a gimped MLPPP setup and live with the speeds for a week.
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

This is the same type of setup I was looking to do with the 50Mbps package over in Telus land (50/10 x 2 MLPPP, when/if it becomes available.)

It'd be a fair amount more than the ~$150 you guys get over in the east, but that's okay with me - I just need faster upload, and Shaw's dragging their feet on offering it on cable.
cruisx

cruisx

I'll be trying mlppp when into home today. I don't put the login details into the sagemcom's right but instead into my router?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by cruisx:

I don't put the login details into the sagemcom's right but instead into my router?

That would be correct.

FTTHTechie
@axxent.ca

FTTHTechie to cruisx

Anon

to cruisx
said by cruisx:

Hey guys, I just got set up with 2 50Mbps dsl lines and they are both working great individually. Each modem has an Ethernet from Wan port to a port on my dual wan router.

Now my Question is, Do I need to do anything special with the Sagemcom modems before I can dual wan?

I don't have much time today but I did try to attempt it really quickly but it only seemed like one line was working out of the two coming into my Pfsense box.

Like I said didn't have too much time but it might have been complaining about some same gateways warning?

Do I need to set each in DMZ mode and then point my OPT1 and WAN interface to those IP's for each modem?

EDIT: Just found out I'm on a 7330, that would mean with another modem I could attain full speed MLPPP correct? Any cheap recommendations? The ones iv seen seem a tad pricey.

»www.cdw.ca/shop/products ··· 514.aspx

139 * 2 = Ill be kicked out of the house.

Edit2: Hows this one? »www.ebay.ca/itm/251170480866
EDIT3: Eh placed 2x order on the Huawei HG610

Out of curiosity two questions:

1. How far is the DSLAM/Remote from you to qualify for 50/10 ?
2. What part of the city are you located in ?

Oh and If they do kick you out let me know when there is a vacancy . I'd love to have a similar connection especially when it's combined. Only true FTTH connections can top that bandwidth/speed.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

wow $60 for that modem is nice, i'll likely pick it up soon myself.
cruisx

1 edit

cruisx

I'm confused so i set up one mlppp line in pfsense and let it handel the login...but I could only get it to use one of the lines as I didn't know where to put the login for the second line. Im to busy with finals right now to tinker with this, its a time pit.

Anyways this will do for now,Ill wait for my 7330 modems to arrive. connectify Dispatch.............Ill just leave this here.

Oh and I'm with start...but you Teksavvy guys seem to be more active among the mlppp community here.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cruisx

MVM

to cruisx
There is no login for the second line. You maintain a single PPP session over multiple lines.
cruisx

cruisx

That is what i figured after reading some other topics in this forum.

The way i have it now is that

1) no log in cridentials in either modem
2) I create 1 pppoe connection and give it a username/pass for 1 line, selecting both appropriate link interfaces (line 1, line 2)
3)I assign this to the wan interface
4) Internet starts to work but only @30/9.8Mbps leading me to believe its only using 1 of the lines..

Forgive my lack of smarts here but are you give only 1 login from teksavvy if you have mlppp? or do users still get 2 separate login's for each modem?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

setting the Sagemcom modems in 'bridge' mode will only let you run at ~33Mbit/sec because of Bell's retarded firmware.
mikefallen
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

mikefallen to cruisx

to cruisx
do do MLPPP your modems will not be initiating the PPPOE session your router will, Without knowing your hardware config its hard to give advice.
But in general terms

Modem 1---------->(WAN port on router)
                                      Router---------->Switch------->Your Network
Modem 2---------->(WAN port2 on router)

The modems will not be not doing any routing aka in BRIDGE MODE and the router needs to support MLPPP and once its starts the MLPPP session 1 line should come up first than the other line will come up shortly after.

Again depends on your hardware..also the modems are known to have throughput issues when operating in bridge mode if you don't already know that

»doc.pfsense.org/index.ph ··· P/MLPPP)
cruisx

cruisx to jmck

to jmck
Yes i know the ~33Mbit/s limit but wouldnt i be at least getting close to ~66Mbit with 2 50mbps lines?

And to the diagram that is exactly how i have it set up.

And iv followed that guide as well, maybe im missing a step that the guide does not declare, more hunting.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz to cruisx

MVM

to cruisx
I've never set up MLPPP on pfsense, but generally there is a delay between the initial bundle being created on one line, and the second line being added to the bundle. It really depends on the MLPPP implementation (there are a lot of different ways to do it on the client), but often you will see a period of single-line speed before everything bonded, at which point you'll see dual-line speeds.

It's possible that you haven't correctly configured pfsense for multi-line MLPPP, and that it's configured for single-link MLPPP. Also, the two DSL modems must be visible on separate isolated interfaces for the router. In the case of a real computer, they would have to be on two different network cards. In the case of a broadband router where all the ethernet ports are really just a switch (all ports connect to the same interface), you need to use VLANs to separate the different ports.
cruisx

cruisx

I didnt know about the delay, when i go home tonight ill let it run for a few minuets.

Ye i see your point, I'm using separate NIC Ethernet cards on a real pc to do this so i skipped setting up vlan's ( I think this was the correct decision?)

Thanks for all your help guys, Iv got a few things to try when i get home. Will report back.
mikefallen
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

mikefallen to cruisx

to cruisx
»[working] mlppp in pfsense 2.0!

»MLPPP on pfSense

»www.alexdimarco.ca/blog/ ··· vvy.html

check those threads out maybe youll find something helpful
cruisx

1 edit

cruisx

Ahh you know what, now that I think about it I might have got LAN and WAN mixed up when assigning them...