spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

[Cable] Rogers offers 30/10 plan with 500GB cap?!?

Just saw this today on rogers' site: »www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedB···ultPlans

Their Extreme plan is now 30mbit/10mbit with 500GB cap. I double checked with friends just to make sure.

I remember it being 35/3mbit with a 120GB cap before. Will IISPs be matching this profile anytime soon?

(Crosspost)

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

1 recommendation

change the website back to ontario

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to HKPolice
Wow this is strange, I sent this to 2 other friends in Toronto and they both saw the exact same rates!

So sad, why could Rogers offer such a high cap in other less populated provinces but not Ontario?!?

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by HKPolice:

Wow this is strange, I sent this to 2 other friends in Toronto and they both saw the exact same rates!

So sad, why could Rogers offer such a high cap in other less populated provinces but not Ontario?!?

They are trying to compete with bell aliant out east.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
in terms of cap, the competition is working well (just like when Bell offered unlimited, Rogers followed here in Ontario).

for the speeds (specifically the upload which they've had for a while now, much longer than Rogers's "new" speeds), i'm guessing the less dense cities and population can also support it easier.

Go Figure

@videotron.ca
reply to HKPolice
said by HKPolice:

Rogers stated the competition is fiercer there, so they have to respond to the market there.

That's what they stated to the CRTC.

sourtimes

join:2012-12-16
York, ON
reply to HKPolice
35/3 120GB cap for $64.99 in Ontario is what I see and exactly what is available here. This is before modem rental, which adds I believe another $5 or $7 a month, making it $70/$72.

Rogers is such a terrible joke, their internet offerings are truly abysmal.

RLBL

join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by sourtimes:

35/3 120GB cap for $64.99 in Ontario is what I see and exactly what is available here. This is before modem rental, which adds I believe another $5 or $7 a month, making it $70/$72.

Yes, however they give you discounts just for smiling at them. I was liking the $80 TSI rate for 35/3, but with Rogers I got 35/3 unlimited for $83 (that includes the rental, and internet is my only service).

$3 is not worth the switch.

It seems at the higher tiers, TSI is not better than Rogers... which is a bit disappointing.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to HKPolice
said by HKPolice:

because its more likely that a gran pa live sat that remote place and thus will never use the 500GB

its likie shaw offering 200 megabit around novis areas YET nothing like it elsewhere. and differing rates.

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON
reply to HKPolice
Click for full size
I'm in Toronto, btw.

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON
said by NBomb:

I'm in Toronto, btw.

Welp, as soon as I explicitly picked Ontario, it changed back to normal. It seems wrong that Rogers is allowed to do this.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
reply to HKPolice

Different provinces.

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to NBomb
said by NBomb:

said by NBomb:

I'm in Toronto, btw.

Welp, as soon as I explicitly picked Ontario, it changed back to normal. It seems wrong that Rogers is allowed to do this.

Not a question of them not being allowed, it's a question of them tailoring their offerings to match the market competition. You should see what the cable cos are offering in Aliant territory, where they have to compete against a 50/50 FTTH connection with no bandwidth cap for $42/mo....

Yeah... there's no market collusion at all. This is why Bell, Rogers, and Telus all offer identical cell phone plans at the same price....

sourtimes

join:2012-12-16
York, ON
reply to RLBL
said by RLBL:

said by sourtimes:

Yes, however they give you discounts just for smiling at them. I was liking the $80 TSI rate for 35/3, but with Rogers I got 35/3 unlimited for $83 (that includes the rental, and internet is my only service).

$3 is not worth the switch.

It seems at the higher tiers, TSI is not better than Rogers... which is a bit disappointing.

So by wasting time with retentions and striking a questionable deal (questionable as in sometimes those deals just mysteriously disappear form your bill once you agree to service) you can come close to Teksavvy's prices ?

I'll pass. Rogers is the worst company I have ever dealt with for pricing of their internet services, disingenuous and outright deceitful customer service staff and atrocious 'billing errors' month in and out.

My wife renewed her cell phone contract with Rogers four months ago due to me managing to get a really good 'deal' for a 3 year term with retentions. Now four months later we are still waiting for the deal to properly be applied to our bill and constantly waiting for 'credits' to be applied 'next month' to fix their over-billing.

Rogers are literally criminal in their approach to dealing with customers. After the cell-phone fiasco we went ahead and cancelled our HDTV service which thankfully was out of contract.

Would never, ever use Rogers for internet.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
It's a matter of principle I guess.

Some don't care what hoops they need to jump through in order to get the best price.

For me, I'd rather spend the few minutes it takes on phone with TekSavvy (barring any hold queues) to order an service from them then spending a lengthy amount of time with a rep to the haggle the best retention deal I can. I'll go with the company offering the deal upfront to everyone and anyone, not secretly hidden in their computer systems.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to RLBL
said by RLBL:

We know, Double Cost due to CBB sux. Makes it an iffy propsition. If only the pot was sweetened somehow 'coz I'd really love to go for the 150/10 unlimited just not at that price+hst. :|
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

That's right.
And when talking about incumbents, they have none.

dmitry_tek

join:2010-01-14
reply to HKPolice
Here is something more interesting I noticed:

Switched province to Alberta. So, basically they don't guarantee any kind of download speed?

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON
reply to HKPolice
yeah i don't understand why different provinces have different prices for the same services. If it were a different country then i guess it would make sense but seriously...different provinces?? At least rogers is getting some serious competition from teksavvy now and they're forced to compete. For rogers(and bell) teksavvy is a double edged sword.

RLBL

Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Some don't care what hoops they need to jump through in order to get the best price.

For me, I'd rather spend the few minutes it takes on phone with TekSavvy (barring any hold queues) to order an service from them then spending a lengthy amount of time with a rep to the haggle the best retention deal I can. I'll go with the company offering the deal upfront to everyone and anyone, not secretly hidden in their computer systems.

Oh I agree for sure... if that was the case.

When I asked about the unlimited, the person (1st person I spoke with... not retentions) said I can have the 35/3 + modem rental which is X, but I get a 25% discount, then we tack on the $30 for unl, so your cost will be $83.

That took all of 5 minutes (including the wait time to speak with a rep)

The catch is: I do have to call at the end of the contract to renew the deal, but I have done that in the past which is all of 5-10 minutes as well.... and they always seem to have some discount going on and all one has to do is ask.

So yeah there are hoops to jump through, but those hoops seem to be rather large so I have no gotten burned.

Side Bar: I seriously wanted to leave Rogers... but when they offered unlimited at a comparable price to tek... I could not see the point. Not saying one should or shouldn't switch... Just saying.

RLBL

Gloucester, ON
Addendum:

I am still on the page of switching though... If ever I cannot (easily) get a discount out of Rogers, I will be switching to tek faster than a snowflake melts in a frying pan.

ciushk1

join:2013-03-29
Scarborough, ON

3 edits
If you want that Canada's telecommunication system improve( for the benefit of the customer) and have competition in this market like in any democratic country out there , not the monopoly we have now from Rogers and bell , all customers like you should understand that they must support companies like Teksavvy by paying them not rogers and bell.

Despite the similar prices ( which are forced to teksavvy by the bell and rogers dirty lobby in our government bodies ) and the problems like congestion( which again is the fault of rogers and bell) .

We (customers of companies like Teksavvy) will suffer a bit now, but as customers continue to grow for these companies like Teksavvy they will start to have enough power to battle the monopoly of bell and rogers and resist the pressure to get bought by them (to eliminate competition).

So in the end ,we customers will benefit from these, because as soon as fair competition will be established in Canada's telecommunication market , the prices will drop to their normal levels (15-20-25 $/mo for 100MBps/100MBps, unlimited data traffic) and the service level will greatly increase ( i.e there will be no congestions and no service breakdowns which last days ,but hours as it should be normal).

I really hope we, all Canadians, will come to these understandings one day and the tellecommunication future of Canada will be saved.