spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zsea

join:2013-04-01

[WildBlue] server conflict?

I've had excede for about 6 months now, in general very happy with it. But an issue has come up today. I use a weather site bookmarked as one of my homepages, 2 of them in fact. Just today i cannot access any of the entire site at: »weather.gov/

I know the site is up as friends have accessed it. So i'd appreciate first off if someone with excede could click that link. I've tried 3 different browsers on my macbook pro, Chrome (with cache and history cleared), Firefox, Safari. Also Chrome on a different computer: all have failed to even load that link.

A secondary issue is with the MLB gameday page, and it would just be by coincidence that someone else uses it here. There is a certain amount of delay with any Sat inet, hughes was very often incapacitated by it. It's possible also that it's just MLB not quite in sync yet. But i'm getting a lot of unnatural delays.

If there's no users of that MLB page replying then disregard it, it's the weather site that's troublesome. Thanks.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
said by zsea:

I use a weather site: »weather.gov/

Their Commander in charge of DNS servers appears to be asleep at the wheel lately, and/or never got a handle on DNS fundamentals.

Doing a NSLOOKUP, that site and forecast.weather.gov are both not listed in their DNS server.

zsea

Well, it's clearly a server and/or ISP conflict, because other inet companies are able to connect.

DrStrangLov

reply to zsea
Footnote - Interesting tracert to weather.gov (using numerical IP) when compared to a Google tracert

Notice lines three and four in both traces...

C:\>tracert 204.227.127.201

Tracing route to 204.227.127.201 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5   704 ms   662 ms   639 ms  10.74.255.253
  6   665 ms   640 ms   638 ms  ch0.s4-1-0-14.phnx-cust.phnx.uswest.net [63.225.
216.81]
....cut off

C:\tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.224.37]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3   664 ms     *      651 ms  10.74.101.17
  4     *      637 ms     *     10.74.10.50
  5   654 ms   639 ms   660 ms  10.74.255.253
  6   678 ms   667 ms   652 ms  ch0.s4-1-0-14.phnx-cust.phnx.uswest.net [63.225.
216.81]
 ....cut off

zsea

Yeah i get what's happening, the question is how do i get them to fix it.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to zsea
If it is a DNS problem, put the following in the location bar:

http://204.227.127.201

You could also specify the IP address in your hosts file.

Switch to a different DNS server.

Otherwise, wait for the DNS server to be updated.

DrStrangLov

said by Spice300:

If it is a DNS problem, put the following in the location bar:

http://204.227.127.201

I tried last night and today, it chokes and will not come up....something screwy going on...

zsea

2 edits
reply to Spice300
What other DNS address can work?

It appears some other ISPs are having the same issues: »[DNS] Problems With Some GOV Domains?

zsea

It appears some other ISPs are having the same issues, so i can say Pac bell is not one: »[DNS] Problems With Some GOV Domains?

DrStrangLov

reply to zsea
said by zsea:

What other DNS address can work?

Opera's proxy worked fine this am and over noon hour

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to zsea
Definitely a problem with Exede and their servers when providing access to NOAA sites. A whole forum topic about the issue can be found here...

»wildblueworld.com/forum/showthre···p?t=7290

As far as getting it fixed, contact a moderator on the Wildblue forum site.

RandyH

join:2013-02-03
Decorah, IA
Yup is has to be a Excede problem,I can access the sites using my old dial up with a blazing speed of 10 kbs..:)

I called CS and its a Known issue I was told..So wait til they get it fixed.

RandyH

Decorah, IA
reply to OldSatUser
Looking at that link its been a problem for awhile,Just got worse for me the past few days. They Excede at not getting things working?

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

1 edit
reply to zsea
There is a workaround I guess. But you have to load a browser called "Opera" and then I believe "enable" (or perhaps disable) "Turbo Mode". Then it will work I guess. But it shouldn't be that difficult and this is something that was working on many months on Exede.

I can also "remote access" my computer at work and retrieve the NOAA sites just fine through the cable's DNS servers, further illustrating that the problem with with Exede.

zsea

1 edit
reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

Definitely a problem with Exede and their servers when providing access to NOAA sites.

Thanks.

RandyH

Decorah, IA
reply to OldSatUser
Yup,like I said works fine with a 10 kbs dialup.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to zsea
And Viasat as acknowledged the problem....

»wildblueworld.com/forum/showthre···7&page=4

RandyH

Decorah, IA
Opera does the same thing to me,So yes its Excede.

RandyH

Decorah, IA
To clarify it doesnt work with Opera for me.

RandyH

Decorah, IA
reply to OldSatUser
Exede Zac is on it.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
Not often that Viasat admits they have a problem. Of course they had a problem with the usage meter for months...and some posters on here still didn't believe there was a problem. I guess that is why Viasat finally took the usage meter offline for the past several weeks...because it was operating so perfectly .

zsea

reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

A whole forum topic about the issue can be found here... »wildblueworld.com/forum/showthre···p?t=7290

HA! After a half a dozen tries to get through that forum reg and it telling me the text box verification was wrong i called CS and they said the forums are not completely back online yet! Go figure, never rains.

I would've told them that this site is fine »www.wrh.noaa.gov and from there there's quite a few workarounds, not as convenient as weather.gov, but it works.

DrStrangLov

reply to RandyH
said by RandyH:

One has to use what they call the Turbo Mode, which is a proxy mode.

See lower left position in this browser

zsea

reply to RandyH
said by RandyH:

Try this domain: »www.wrh.noaa.gov/

zsea

reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

I guess that is why Viasat finally took the usage meter offline for the past several weeks...because it was operating so perfectly .

So that explains why i've only used 600 mb this month, i'm assuming they're not trying to keep track so since it's rolling over in 2 days there's no worries?

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
The usage meter for Exede/NRTC customers (I can't speak for Dish Exede customers) has not been tracking data for about a month now. However, it will still reset on your billing date. Mine reset on March 22nd and I haven't used a byte of data yet according to the usage meter

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to zsea
Yes, zsea, the reports are that Exede is not counting usage because they are having problems with the DAP meter.

The NOAA site loaded yesterday when I accessed it using the legacy Wildblue, so that supports that it is a problem with Exede. The temporary solution is likely to use a web based proxy to access the site. There are many out there, but here is one that worked for me: Coupon VPS. Browser cookies must be enabled to use the proxy.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

DrStrangLov

reply to zsea
said by zsea:

It appears some other ISPs are having the same issues: »[DNS] Problems With Some GOV Domains?

Check date of publication: 2011-02-16

zsea

reply to Spice300
said by Spice300:

The NOAA site loaded yesterday when I accessed it using the legacy Wildblue, so that supports that it is a problem with Exede. The temporary solution is likely to use a web based proxy to access the site. There are many out there, but here is one that worked for me: Coupon VPS. Browser cookies must be enabled to use the proxy.

OK thanks for the info. I was able to load the wrh.noaa subset yesterday but it's gone today too. For all of the terrible hughesnet problems i had, their proxy did work to speed things up a bit. Excede ought supply their own.

zsea

reply to Spice300
I think actually the solution is the one previously mentioned. Opera is loading both noaa and weather.gov fine. I'll be curious to see how it handles mlb gameday.