sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: [Parts Check] What CPU would you considere to be old

Anything older than a "iX" series CPU. No, I'm not kidding, I hit RAM limits with the Core 2 Duo/Quad for the most part.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Ram limits are generally controlled by the motherboard, some p4 boards went more than 2GB not all, and the same goes for core 2 boards had this same limitation. Many of the core 2 boards supported at least 4GB, or more which for most people is more than they need for basic tasks. During the time when they still sold 32-bit windows with packages with 2-3GB of ram there was quite a mix of motherboards, many supporting p4, and core 2 processors however used ddr2 memory.

While it's hindsight now, so many of those core 2 systems capable of 8GB of memory are just held back by companies sticking 32-bit Vista on these systems, and now the memory isn't cost effective to upgrade at all, plus they also have to buy the os again. Except for high end games a core 2 is capable of hd video without gpu acceleration, but a budget core 2 duo might choke on hd video processing without gpu acceleration.

If the ram limits you're talking about is 4-8GB then most people still don't actually use more than 4GB on new systems, it's mostly used by the disk cache of the os.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

Ram limits are generally controlled by the motherboard, some p4 boards went more than 2GB not all, and the same goes for core 2 boards had this same limitation. Many of the core 2 boards supported at least 4GB, or more which for most people is more than they need for basic tasks. During the time when they still sold 32-bit windows with packages with 2-3GB of ram there was quite a mix of motherboards, many supporting p4, and core 2 processors however used ddr2 memory.

While it's hindsight now, so many of those core 2 systems capable of 8GB of memory are just held back by companies sticking 32-bit Vista on these systems, and now the memory isn't cost effective to upgrade at all, plus they also have to buy the os again. Except for high end games a core 2 is capable of hd video without gpu acceleration, but a budget core 2 duo might choke on hd video processing without gpu acceleration.

If the ram limits you're talking about is 4-8GB then most people still don't actually use more than 4GB on new systems, it's mostly used by the disk cache of the os.

I tend to use a lot of RAM, so even 8 GB is not enough. More and more people need at least 4GB now (preferably 8) though, as OS's get hungrier and hungrier for RAM.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I agree more are using more than 2GB, but might not exceed four, however at current prices it's not expensive to have 8GB for ddr3. I can run a gpu accelerated game, and two active vm with 2GB of memory each without running out on my system with 8GB. Gamers tend to need at least 4GB these days with everything running at the very least. I don't generally do any video editing, or content creation, however I do play games once in a while. The gpu acceleration is nice also for non-gaming tasks.

My nix vm rarely goes over 1GB, but I gave it 2GB anyway. It's usually only using around 250MB of memory, but I don't use it for heavy tasks since I don't let it use all my processors.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9 to sk1939

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Anything older than a "iX" series CPU. No, I'm not kidding, I hit RAM limits with the Core 2 Duo/Quad for the most part.

I recently sold my Core2Quad machine. Had a QX6850 (Core2Extreme) clocked at 3.6ghz water cooled. The board had a maximum of 8 gigs of ram, and I was only running 4. 4x1gig sticks. Ran great, was a beast of a gaming machine, but the money I sold it for, and used towards my new 8core was to good of a deal to pass up. Made $1800 on that rig, with 2xATI-HD4670 video cards, and the water cooling setup, I think they got an OK deal. I'm sure that rig is still kicking ass online. Upgrade the video cards and it should keep up with most rigs no problem.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

$1800! A 3570k machine with a 7790 can spank that machine for less than half the money. For that money you can get into 16gb ram, a big SSD and a 7970 and probably still afford to watercool it.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by pnjunction:

$1800! A 3570k machine with a 7790 can spank that machine for less than half the money. For that money you can get into 16gb ram, a big SSD and a 7970 and probably still afford to watercool it.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Whoever paid 1,800.00 for that is a fuckin' moron.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9

said by Ghastlyone:

said by pnjunction:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Whoever paid 1,800.00 for that is a fuckin' moron.

People are willing to pay a pretty penny for those Extreme Edition CPUs, I'm not agreeing they were the brightest person I've ever met, but I honestly think the machine was easily still worth $1000-$1200. The case with the watercooling setup it had, was easily still a $300 bill. 1200watt powersupply, board maxed with ram, a 120gb raptor and a 1tb 7200rpm. A legal copy of Win7pro 64bit as well The old 2x4670s were a bit dated, but this was almost a year ago, so not to bad.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by coma9:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by pnjunction:

People are willing to pay a pretty penny for those Extreme Edition CPUs, I'm not agreeing they were the brightest person I've ever met, but I honestly think the machine was easily still worth $1000-$1200. The case with the watercooling setup it had, was easily still a $300 bill. 1200watt powersupply, board maxed with ram, a 120gb raptor and a 1tb 7200rpm. A legal copy of Win7pro 64bit as well The old 2x4670s were a bit dated, but this was almost a year ago, so not to bad.

Not even worth $1,200. Not only are those used electronics, they're outdated also.

But hey...more power to you, if you actually found a person willing to pay that amount of money for that PC.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

The QX6850 goes for $180, which is way overpriced I would say, given that is what a 2500K goes for.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to coma9

Premium Member

to coma9
Yep, the top-end CPUs for pretty much any socket in the last few years are still expensive, even if they are completely obsolete. I paid a decent amount for my Opteron 185 less than two years ago, but I'm still attached to my Socket 939 machine. It runs quite well, 2.8 GHz with a slight undervolt (~1.26v).

I used it for 5 days while my main PC was out of commission, and it ran fine. Granted, it's a rather abnormal 939 build (GTX 460 1 GB, 4 GB RAM, Win7 x64, SSD).

Last year, I found an old Dell XPS tower at the dump. It was mostly gutted, but the heatsink was still mounted to the motherboard. I took it off and found a QX6700 . I ran it in my work PC for a few months, worked great. It'll be going in my new secondary PC at work once I build it (current one is a Dell Optiplex 740 with an Athlon X2 5050e).