spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JRG135

join:2013-04-02
Visalia, CA

[Speed] How much will fiber to the home cost?

Ok, I live in Visalia California. Have Comcast for my tv and Internet service. What I want to know is if its possible to have fiber to my house? The connection is fine for surfing the web or watching Netflix but its not the best for gaming. I notice that not all my hits are register in any game. When I have air support, they just fly without getting any kills. At times I also notice that my comrades glitch around moving to their destination. I'm getting 55 Mbps down so its not the speed. Any ideas what my problem can be as we'll as if I can get fiber optic? Or is there another option like replacing the lines to my house?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Comcast's 305/65 service is fiber based on their commercial Metro Ethernet product. The price (the last time I saw it published) is $320/mo with a $249 Activation fee and a $249 Installation fee. Also, it not available in every location, and where it is available, you must live very close to an area served by their Metro Ethernet service.

You might find this thread that chronicles whfsdude's installation of the 305/65 service interesting: »Getting 305/65
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

1 recommendation

reply to JRG135
Sounds like you are having a packet loss problem between you and the game server you use. You might try switching servers (if that's possible) and/or running a packet loss test at various times during the day and seeing where the problem is. Chances are it isn't on the last hop to your house but somewhere else...

JRG135

Visalia, CA
reply to JRG135
I don't think it's the servers of the game. Because it happens on all my games. Especially one with air support kill streaks? What do you mean by it might not be the last hop to my house but somewhere else?

anon623

@mich.net
reply to JRG135
You should first rule out if it's on your network. First I would try plugged your computer directly into the modem and seeing if it changes anything. (Just make sure the firewall is on and you should be fine)

The other thing is this a wired or wireless connection? If it's not wired then there is no guarantee that the connection will be stable.

You may or may not have tried these already but it would be best to cover our bases first.

I would imagine that air support is done server side (Guessing you are playing COD) so it wouldn't matter what type of connection you have. It's also possible for the hits to be something with the computer lagging if you have low fps. (You might run 60 fps until someone pops smoke then everything slows down considerably.) Finally, people glitching around the map could be on your end, or on their end. When playing cod with friends I've had one of them using a wireless connection to their router and they will glitch around the screen. So I wouldn't definitively even say it's a network issue on your end.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM

2 edits
reply to JRG135
said by JRG135:

What do you mean by it might not be the last hop to my house but somewhere else?

An internet connection is made by a series of node connections between your computer and the destination. Almost every one of those node connections has the potential for dropping packets or running slow.

Some protocols used to communicate over the internet have provisions to retransmit packets, but in the case of games and other high performance data, it would take too long to retransmit the data, so it just gets dropped or ignored.

If you'd like to see a what one of those routes look like, go to the command prompt on a Windows machine and type in "tracert [some URL or DNS Name or IP address]"

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by travelguy:

The protocols used to communicate over the internet have provisions to retransmit packets, but in the case of games and other high performance data, it would take too long to retransmit the data, so it just gets dropped or ignored.

FWIW, many games use the UDP protocol. UDP does not have the same *fail safe* properties as does TCP. It's not an issue of "taking too long".

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
Absolutely true for those applications that use UDP instead of IP. I should have said some protocols instead of the protocols. Will edit that. Considering that the OP appears to have a very limited understanding of how the Internet works at all, it seemed to make more sense to offer a simplified explanation rather than delving into specific protocols.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to JRG135
Comcast provides metro-e/FTTP services all day long in Visalia. The cost/performance isn't quite right for residential, though.

JRG135

Visalia, CA
What do you mean? How much will it cost me?

JRG135

Visalia, CA
reply to anon623
I play on ps3. It's connected directly to the router. The router is one of the newest one from netgear. Cost me 180 for it. The modem is a Motorola sb6121. I moved it all over my house checking if its the cable being the problem but found no success. I even put a new cable that comes from underground. It helped a bit but not much. I don't know what's the problem? If you need any more information to solve my problem, just ask for it.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to JRG135
said by JRG135:

10/10 will cost you $1000+ per month, and construction charges may or may not be included in that price.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JRG135
said by JRG135:

Get a quote. »business.comcast.com/landingpage/metro

They'll do a site survey to give you your costs. But costs will run very high compared to residential or business cable HSI.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to JRG135
said by JRG135:

if you're excuse to get faster speeds is for gaming, forget it....

the monthly cost isn't enough to justify your gaming habits...

post your stats here and let's se....

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

said by JRG135:

10/10 will cost you $1000+ per month, and construction charges may or may not be included in that price.

O U C H!