Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by inGearX:

your take on it?

Sad. There's a lot more to walking your dog than just the "walking" part.

Not only does walking your dog help him get fresh air and light, but it also gives his nose something to do, too. Imagine staring at the same bit of wallpaper all day every day; keeping your dog indoors is doing pretty much the same thing to him.

I get that the woman in the picture is (likely) just minding the dogs. However, whether you are a dog owner, or a dog minder, you owe it to your dog(s) to take them for a walk. While I'd like to think the treadmill is meant only for when the weather is too bad for walks, it has "path of least resistance" written all over it, and we all know what happens when people are given an easy out like that.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
They are for lazy people.
35245635 (banned)
join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA

35245635 (banned)

said by chrisretusn:

They are for lazy people.

Quick to judge much? They make self cleaning dog mats for them to use the bathroom. A treadmill makes perfect sense to go with it. Some people live on the 30th or 40th floor of a building so it's not practical to take your dog down all the time.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
There are also people that can't walk well enough to take the dog(s) out for a walk. So, maybe a treadmill would be useful for them.
35245635 (banned)
join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA

35245635 (banned)

said by beck:

There are also people that can't walk well enough to take the dog(s) out for a walk. So, maybe a treadmill would be useful for them.

Good point. A friend had a dog and got into an accident. Both of her legs were broke and it took her months to learn to walk again. Instead of paying someone to look after her dog this treadmill could have allowed her to do it herself.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

1 edit

Spensergig to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
SNC00011.3g2.zip
1,128,336 bytes
Just so you can see him in action.
My daughter's malinois needed more exercise than a single person could provide.

She tried the treadmill.
There were a few days where the pup was scared, but that quickly changed. The leash was put away after about a week.

Now, her dog would like to be able to turn the treadmill on by itself.
It runs anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours a day.
Still a crazy dog, but much better than before.

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue to inGearX

to inGearX
The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan, uses one for training. He says that in addition to the physical aspect a treadmill stimulates your dog's mind as he focuses on keeping up with the moving belt.
He believes this not only provides exercise and mental stimulation, but it can be used for dealing with issues such as obsession or fearfulness by helping to keep your dog's mind moving forward.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Spensergig

to Spensergig
"Now, her dog would like to be able to turn the treadmill on by itself."

»www.safetyed.org/sensorp ··· odrAoAMA