spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmiller

@tds.net

[CenturyTel] DSL experts: will this old modem work on Centurylin

I ordered CL 7M/896k service which will be activated in a couple days. Currently I have a cable modem and have a good grasp on dealing with those. But I haven't had DSL for some time and am confused by the standards.

I have an old, but never used, "Alcatel 1000 ADSL" modem. Is there any chance this will work? I understand that even if it does, it won't work with higher speeds which is fine with me.

CL says you need an ADSL2 or ADSL2+ modem, but I'm not sure if that's to utilize any available DSL speed. This modem is from the late 90's, it's huge, but if it works I'll use it.

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

Re: [CenturyTel] DSL experts: will this old modem work on Centur

I say give it a whirl and if it works, great, if not then buy another one that will...

I just bought a wireless router/modem combo for $20 off of eBay (a motorola 3347) and had no idea if it'd work or not but fortunately it worked like a charm.

I get 10mbps down as advertised with it... $20 is worth it considering what they want per month to rent one...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jmiller

said by jmiller :

CL says you need an ADSL2 or ADSL2+ modem, but I'm not sure if that's to utilize any available DSL speed. This modem is from the late 90's, it's huge, but if it works I'll use it.

ADSL2/ADSL2+ from the CO will fall back to ADSL if the modem is only capable of ADSL. On my mother's 9,156 foot loop there is no difference in speed between an ADSL modem, or an ADSL2+ modem. On my 3,300 foot loop an ADSL modem will sync at the max 8196/896 rate, but ADSL2+ will sync at 17,900/1200.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jmiller

@tds.net

Re: [CenturyLink] DSL experts: will this old modem work on CL?

Thanks for the reply, that's helpful. So it sounds sort of like the dialup modems; they will fall back to a mutually compatible speed/standard.

Just curious, how do you know the loop length down to that accuracy? Is the modem providing an estimate?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by jmiller :

Just curious, how do you know the loop length down to that accuracy? Is the modem providing an estimate?

The longer loop was measured by an electrical test available to the online techs in the SBC Direct forum. The shorter loop was reported on the Sonic.net, LLC service availability page; which also happens to report the residence with the longer loop at 10,000 feet. So the lengths are really just estimates.
--
Norman

jmiller

@tds.net
reply to BlakePaulson

Re: [CenturyLink] DSL experts: will this old modem work CL?

Yeah that's what I'm going to do, but I don't understand the DSL standards enough to know if it will likely work, or definitely not work. The 3347 you mentioned you're using looks much much newer than this beast I came across.

guy54435
Premium
join:2003-02-19
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to jmiller

It should work. Now with that said, have a look here at this link about an advisory on that Modem »security.sdsc.edu/self-help/alca···ugs.html You may need to update the firmware to be on the safe side. Hope this helps in any way.

jmiller

@tds.net

said by guy54435:

It should work. Now with that said, have a look here at this link about an advisory on that Modem »security.sdsc.edu/self-help/alca···ugs.html You may need to update the firmware to be on the safe side. Hope this helps in any way.

Yep, I saw that. Don't know if a f/w update is even available, but I did find that. Alcatel is weird about allowing access to things on their website.

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to jmiller

Re: [CenturyLink] DSL experts: will this old modem work CL?

said by jmiller :

Yeah that's what I'm going to do, but I don't understand the DSL standards enough to know if it will likely work, or definitely not work. The 3347 you mentioned you're using looks much much newer than this beast I came across.

It's so funny to think that the one I've got is so much newer because compared to today's standards it's like a dinosaur. Wireless G only, 100mbps built in switch.

It gets the job done proficiently... not sure what centurylink provides to current customers who want a wireless/modem combo...

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US
reply to jmiller

I don't know about the Alcatel 1000 ADSL modem since I've never seen one in Arizona but if has the Qwest logo on it, is still supported by CL on their web page and they have updates, instructions, etc. for it then it should work. Otherwise probably not. I know the ZyXel PK5000Z ADSL model will work since they are in use now and the Actiontec Q1000 ADSL2+ model will work because I have one and I tried it at my friend's house where they only have ADSL and it was able to fall back to the slow speed and work without any problems.
In any case, no matter which one you go with you will need your DSL username and password to put into it before it will go online. You can probably find your DSL username on your account documents but you will most likely have to call or IM them to get the password which is different from your email or online account password.

jmiller

@tds.net

Darn, Alcatel doesn't work. Won't connect. Sync/Power light just keeps blinking/flickering red. Ordered a TP-Link modem.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by jmiller :

Darn, Alcatel doesn't work. Won't connect. Sync/Power light just keeps blinking/flickering red. Ordered a TP-Link modem.

Check if the Alcatel is trying to connect to the outer pair. Many years ago, DSL was wired to run on the outer pair, and the modems did not automatically check which pair carried the signal.
--
Norman

jmiller

@comcast.net

said by NormanS:

said by jmiller :

Check if the Alcatel is trying to connect to the outer pair. Many years ago, DSL was wired to run on the outer pair, and the modems did not automatically check which pair carried the signal.

Holy crap, that's it! I would have never guessed.

jmiller

@qwest.net

said by jmiller :

said by NormanS:

said by jmiller :

Holy crap, that's it! I would have never guessed.

There's something satisfying about using a decade old (but brand new) modem. Since I only wanted 7Mb service this thing works fine.