Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to travisc

Premium Member

to travisc

Re: VMedia Launches

said by travisc:

Much of that is controlled by the channels and the contracts you have to sign.

From what I understand, there is only one channel in Canada that prevents it from being purchased a-la-carte, and that's Fox News. Everything else can, and that's generally the way they do things in Quebec as the norm.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Gone:

From what I understand, there is only one channel in Canada that prevents it from being purchased a-la-carte, and that's Fox News. Everything else can, and that's generally the way they do things in Quebec as the norm.

You know... I was just looking to see if that was true and I don't even notice Fox News being offered. Or I missed it when looking. It's not something we would take anyhow, but I never noticed that before. What do they bundle it with?

Another thing with the a-la-carte at videotron is they allow you to switch channels any time you want at no cost. So for example, if I want to get rid of Sun News today for al jazeera, it's just a phone call. Or the kids get fed up of one of their 6 much music stations and want a toon station, it's a phone call. So you aren't stuck, or gouged.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The reason Fox News was weird like that is because the Americans who were involved in negotiating Canadian carriage were operating on the American model of bundled channels and were completely oblivious to the fact we allow a-la-carte selections here and either refused to omitted the ability for them to be selected by customers that way as part of the carriage agreement.

Kind of ironic in so many ways if you ask me.

travisc
join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

travisc to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Unless things have changed significantly in the last two years, I can state from having seen many contracts with my own eyes that you're incorrect. I can't speak for why Quebec is different, but elsewhere, in many cases it's the channels protecting themselves by forcing packaged carriage.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by travisc:

said by Gone:

Unless things have changed significantly in the last two years, I can state from having seen many contracts with my own eyes that you're incorrect. I can't speak for why Quebec is different, but elsewhere, in many cases it's the channels protecting themselves by forcing packaged carriage.

So what are you saying?

The U.S. Mega-Media dealt only Quebec a different and better deal just because?

Or the Canadian Media hoarders treat Quebec differently because they can't milk the predominately french population as much as English Ontario with their english channels?

I wonder if George knows why it appears to be different in Qc than in Ontario?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to travisc

Premium Member

to travisc
said by travisc:

It is not uncommon for the channel owners to force bundling on the DBU side, e.g. if you carry Sportsnet One, Rogers also requires that you carry this, and that, and this and to pay for them. Shaw may require you to carry H2 and TVTropolis if you're carrying History HD or whatever else. Still from what I gather, they do not force a BDU to bundle those channels to customers and that any bundling is a BDU's own business decision themselves. Either way, fair enough. I was told what I was told by people I know up at Cogeco, and verified by a good friend who works on the regulatory side of things who has a bit of understanding of how the stuff works. Not forcing bundling on customers may have been specific to digital channels, as I know what are or used to be analog carriage channels are an entirely different beast all together.

That, or it's just specific to the contracts they worked out with you guys
darrylr
join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

darrylr

So can anyone with this service who has a large screen (50") and has experience watching Blu-ray movies comment on the quality of the HD channel images with VMedia? Also it would be nice to mention screen size and viewing distance.

Maybe a comparison to Super HD netflix would be useful as well.