Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew

Re: [telephone modem] What works with OS-X & MBPr please?

This is cool, thanks! I am planning a trip and was wondering if there was a way to do dialup from my rMBP. The USR looks like the trick. Would I need any special software to use this modem? Or does OSX deal with these modems natively via network?

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

I'll add my 2 cents.
From many choices on different websites, the US Robotics name is one of, if not the, most well known and respected in the dial-up modem category.
i went with USR, even if it was a few dollars more.
Thanks Dr. Drew!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I am using the USR modem at work on a Mac mini...

While fugly and huge, it works great... It's really too bad that Apple abandoned support for their little modem which is about 1/4 of the size.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
said by TamaraB:

Would I need any special software to use this modem? Or does OSX deal with these modems natively via network?

It seems the USR needs additional modem scripts installed above 10.4, but the Zoom scripts are built-in.

USR modem drivers:
»www.usr.com/support/prod ··· rod=5637

Zoom modem drivers:
»www.zoomtel.com/techsupp ··· 5F.shtml

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Odd, I didn't need any modem scripts or drivers for the USR... Worked right out of the box in 10.8.2
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I am using the USR modem at work on a Mac mini...

While fugly and huge, it works great... It's really too bad that Apple abandoned support for their little modem which is about 1/4 of the size.

Apple's modem was not really a hardware modem, it was software based and had issues being consistent. We have a client running a mac mini server and a 4Sight Fax server that just keeps working with a USR modem.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by TamaraB:

Would I need any special software to use this modem? Or does OSX deal with these modems natively via network?

It seems the USR needs additional modem scripts installed above 10.4, but the Zoom scripts are built-in.

Thanks! I would have opted for the USR. In an earlier life I used USR modems for both dialup and dialin. They were top of the line. But then again I was using Linux back then. I know Mac is very peculiar when it comes to compatibility.
TamaraB

TamaraB to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Odd, I didn't need any modem scripts or drivers for the USR... Worked right out of the box in 10.8.2

Hmmmm..... Well, USR is a known entity to me. I have always had good service from their modems. A call to their sales folks is next. Thanks all!! There is a solution or two.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to rugby

Premium Member

to rugby
said by rugby:

Apple's modem was not really a hardware modem, it was software based and had issues being consistent. We have a client running a mac mini server and a 4Sight Fax server that just keeps working with a USR modem.

I am running an older mini with 10.6 for a incoming fax on the Apple modem for several years now without any issues whatsoever.

The USR is running flawless on another mini with 10.8.