Patterson, NY

4 reasons not to slap that flat-screen TV over your fireplac

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Some people just like it there. Logic tells you its not the best spot to mount one that you want to last for 10 years. That being said im fine if it lasts seven years and i like it at that spot. I know people that put them over the fireplace and truth be told i dont see any lasting any less time.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to YukonHawk
They missed an important reason about fire and smoke. The soot in wood fires' smoke is carbon, and carbon conducts electricity.

In addition to the possible increased heating due to the build up of smoke residue that was mentioned, a layer of conductive carbon on the circuit boards may not result in a happy TV.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

reply to rody_44
I just wouldn't do it if I am laying down a grand or more for a TV. Plus I'd rather have the TV at eye level. That's just me.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to YukonHawk
for LARGE rooms its works, where it may open up into the kitchen.
--
I'm better than you!

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
reply to YukonHawk
Going on year 7 with no issues... and yes, it also opens up to the kitchen as well.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to YukonHawk
I was very apprehensive about sticking our very expensive 52" flat screen over the fireplace 6 years ago. Turned out the heat never actually got to the TV, the heat would project a few feet out then upward, being well out of the TV's way.
It was the only place in the large room to put it where everybody could see it, including from the kitchen.

radiocolin

join:2013-01-29

1 recommendation

reply to YukonHawk
I don't get putting the TV over the fireplace. Why do you want your TV in a position that you have to crane your neck to see it?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Actually above the fireplace usually only results in about twelve inches higher than a normal wall mounted tv. Think about the fact that a stand based flat screen results in about twelve inches lower than a normal wall mounted tv.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to YukonHawk
Wow that's a great fluff piece. Content free, no actual facts, pretty graphics.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us