Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to DoubleM

Premium Member

to DoubleM

Re: Speed Issues in Oshawa (RED)

The WRT54G's were great in their day, but they can't hack the new speeds. Also you likely were seeing the high latency due to saturating your upload speed, ie with TCP/IP when you max out the upload of your connection the download slows due to the packet acknowledgements not getting through. The Asus with it's QoS will prioritize response packets and is about 14 bazillion times more powerful than the older Linksys so that should take care of you for a while. Thanks for posting an update.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

I'm still using my WRT54GL with the 25/2 and it's handling it quite well although I had to replace a friends WRT54G V3 as it wasn't able to support their speeds anymore.

Tedsky
join:2009-05-01
Welland, ON

Tedsky to rocca

to rocca
Just to be clear ...

An up-to-date router as the head end will drastically improve hand-offs to 10/100 wifi routers acting as APs, as I understand correctly.

Just doing the math, it seems that a 10/100 wired router connecting to a DOCSIS 3 modem on 30/2 plan should be able to handle the workload, or am I out in left field here?

TIA
Ted

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

It's not necessarily the interface speed, rather the CPU performance of the equipment, ie cheaper devices can't process packets fast enough to reach the maximum line rate.

Tedsky
Welland, ON

Tedsky

said by rocca:

It's not necessarily the interface speed, rather the CPU performance of the equipment, ie cheaper devices can't process packets fast enough to reach the maximum line rate.

How does one assess CPU speed in routing equipment, as I don`t seem to recall seeing this type of data in the specs.
Correct me if I am wrong here (which I fully expect you to do ).

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Most vendors don't like to publish the limitations of their gear unfortunately. Cisco publishes theirs »www.cisco.com/web/partne ··· ance.pdf but it gives a good idea of what I'm referring to, ie there is a maximum pps (packets per second) that they can handle, other limitations of gear include memory for NAT tables, for state tracking, etc. The ASUS RT-N66U is one of the best sub $200 router on the market right now IMHO.
DoubleM
join:2004-08-03
Oshawa, ON

DoubleM

I picked up the AT-AC66U, it's the one up with support for draft gigabit wireless and it's under $200 (although barely).

It is a phenomenal device. The Asus firmware has almost every conceivable option built in. It's just missing an OpenVPN client.

To be honest a couple of years ago I would of tired to figure out my exact issue... I just don't have the time anymore.

I've been looking to get a new N router for a while, and this was an excuse. Also I wanted to update to the new docsis modem so I could upgrade to the new plans.

All in all I'm happy. Start has been an incredible improvement over rogers. Any time I have had to call I get a real live person on the phone within about 1 minute and I haven't had to demand a supervisor once because they don't know enough to go off script.
thm655321
join:2003-09-01
Canada

thm655321

I have two of the RT-AC66Us, one used in AP mode to spread the 5GHz upstairs.

Fantastic routers.

Tedsky
Welland, ON

Tedsky to rocca

to rocca
Well, your humble opinion counts .

I have moved my response here over to the other thread I started.