Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rootazoid

join:2013-03-04
Holyoke, MA

[Speed] a month of annoying slow upload speeds

Click for full size
I have an Arris TG862G, and ever since the "upgrade" on March 2nd my upload speeds have been hovering around 1mbps. The last time I was frequently testing, last August, my ups were around 4. I have my own thread about it here - »[Speed] after speed "upgrade", Skype drops, need HELP! - but replies have gotten sparse now. I had a CC tech at the house Friday tracing and securing all lines. As the wireless laptop in the house speed-tests at around 40 down and 4.5 up he concluded the problem is all in my desktop. My Windows 7 install is almost a year old, which for me means numerous 3rd party software installs, while the laptop is factory fresh Toshiba Win 7 Home, plus Firefox, only.

Oddly, as you can see in the attachment, on the first day I got 41.4 mb down. By the second day that dropped to the low-to-mid twenties with no new software installed.

You can also see a test under Safe Mode, didn't improve the down speed but the up speed is WAY faster, the way it should be. And used to be.

Sending things to Dropbox is a pain now, and Skype has gone from good to barely tolerable.

I don't want to have to reinstall Win7 Pro hoping to get my upload speed back, but tracing the problem is probably beyond my skills.
»img607.imageshack.us/img607/1262···hell.jpg

As for any more dealings with CC over this, the only thing I can think of is to ask for a price break. But I'd be happier to just get the old speed back.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

My understanding is that they have rolled back the firmware update to the prior code for now. Perhaps powercycling / resetting the device will help to pull it.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

Thanks, that was interesting. I power cycled the device, including pulling the battery and powering off the pc. On the left you can see the strange results after the reboot and testing right away. Then I needed to run errands, just left everything on and untouched for an hour or so, returned and re-ran the test, results on the right, back to the usual.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to rootazoid

Man that is odd?

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to rootazoid

Wednesday night, 4-03-2013 08:42 PM 22.69 Down and 1.88 Up.
»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···9392.png

The 1.88 Up reading is more than double the typical speed over the last month. I got it after finding and running TCPOptimizer 3.08 on its default Optimize setting. 1.88 is still not good at all.

I just now ran the test again. The server was slow to even feed the flash, never seen such a slow Down of 3.67, and a typical Up of 0.93

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···3822.png

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by rootazoid:

I got it after finding and running TCPOptimizer 3.08 on its default Optimize setting. 1.88 is still not good at all.

TCPOptimizer does nothing for Windows 7...no point at all to use it.

You didn't mention this, but are your results via wireless, or direct ethernet to your desktop? It could be either the nic or even the ethernet cable if hard-wired, or the wireless card (if wireless) in your desktop, since your laptop performs much better.

Since you have tried a fresh install of the OS, I would be suspicious of a hardware issue.
--
Deeds, not words

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

Thanks Pete

>TCPOptimizer does nothing for Windows 7...no point at all to use it.

OK, good to know.

>You didn't mention this, but are your results via wireless,

I thought it was clear, my results are from my ethernet wired desktop. There's some bottleneck on it that isn't true of the wireless laptop.

>Since you have tried a fresh install of the OS

No, not at all, haven't done that. That's what I'm trying to avoid

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to rootazoid

test a moment ago: 22.88 down, 0.66 up

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···8782.png

I was wondering about what large background processes are running on this desktop that aren't running on the laptop and that might be causing the much slower desktop speedtests. The biggest two are my Logitech webcam software and the ATI Catalyst driver/CCControl (which is a stretch to think it affects network speeds). Turned off the Logitech, didn't make any difference. About the Catalyst, even looking at the Help I don't see a way to temporarily disable it for a test. I'm also a bit wary of fiddling with it without a wise advisor.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

AVAST slowed down my uploads, I reverted back to Avira

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

said by mb:

AVAST slowed down my uploads, I reverted back to Avira

Yes, security programs were my first suspects. All I run is MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. Turning them both off made no difference.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to PeteC2

Click for full size
OK PeteC2, if there's no point in running the Optimizer, what about the Analyzer from the same folks? I had run the Optimizer once, told it my speed was the highest number I'd ever seen - easily a mistake to do but I didn't know any better - and then ran its default. Then, over at the Analyzer, I got this result. After I saw this I returned to the Optimizer to see about optimizing the RWIN but didn't see anything. It's a bit over my head. Any suggestions?

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Windows 7 automatically adjusts the RWIN value by default. There are ways to change its behavior though, here's some info. You can also try resetting the TCP/IP stack, instructions here. When I worked at a local ISP years ago, I had quite a few problems that were resolved with doing that.

FWIW, I've never had to change the default settings on Windows 7, and from my experience, RWIN has a much greater effect on downstream speeds.

I'd ask you to run ShaperProbe as well, but it's down right now. What about trying it in a different browser, or booting from a Linux live distro?
--
KI6RIT

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

Thanks, but hmmm. I don't mind and am capable of issuing console commands or editing the registry. I may just try these since you recommend them.

Shaperprobe was easy, here's what it says:

Connected to server 38.107.216.19.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4555 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 200 Mbps.

The measurement will take up to 3.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 4480 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 2314-2896 KB;
Shaping rate: 22269 Kbps.

But I'm duh about this. As for other browsers, I get identical results to Ffox using MSIEv10. As for Linux I do have several but the problem isn't my hardware, it's my Win7's reaction to the new modem firmware. It was fast before, and no hardware has changed. So when the results are faster under Linux it will only tell me what I already know. Maybe not?

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to rootazoid

I decided to check Control/Network/Troubleshooting the LAN and this came up, with no apparent fixes. I also found no way to open the resulting log files.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to rootazoid

Hmm, ShaperProbe seems to be running happily there.
--
KI6RIT