Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

It's 2013, what is the status of IPv6 support on FIOS?

Does anyone know? I was doing some reading about Comcast's roll-out of IPv6 support in their forum, and was fairly impressed. I love to try out new technology, but I like FIOS better than Comcast, so I'm torn here. Do I order a Comcast connection, just to play with IPv6, or wait for Verizon's roll-out?

According to Verizon's site, the router I have (ActionTec Rev. F) IS IPv6 capable, but I am unsure if that support requires a firmware update from Verizon or not.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I made a thread about this the rev-I router has the ipv6 I even have it enabled but won't acquire ipv6 address as of now , I just have it on so when the day comes I will simply see a different ip.

derekivey

join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to VirtualLarry
Their IPv6 page still says 3Q12 (»www22.verizon.com/support/reside ··· 8742.htm). I wish they would give us an update.

If you want to play around with IPv6 right now you can get a tunnel from Hurricane Electric (»tunnelbroker.net/). That is what I'm using until Verizon rolls out IPv6.

Hurricane Electric even has a few IPv6 exercises you can do to learn more about IPv6: »ipv6.he.net/certification/

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to VirtualLarry
"Do I order a Comcast connection, just to play with IPv6, or wait for Verizon's roll-out?"

If you want to play with it just go to a tunnel broker like Hurricane Electric and play with IPv6 for free.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
said by battleop:

If you want to play with it just go to a tunnel broker like Hurricane Electric and play with IPv6 for free.

Do I need to run BGP? I'm just a fairly-knowledgeable home router user. I'm not a network expert.

Is this something, once I sign up for a HE tunnel, that I can just punch into my E2500 router with Shibby Tomato 1.08?

I've been doing some reading lately, about firewall issues. Apparently, with IPv6, there is no NAT (well, it will see much less usage), and therefore, we are back to the olden days, where every PC on a local LAN will be directly exposed to the Internet.

I don't really want people sniffing around my home LAN, and accessing my NAS and other devices.

NAT was a really easy security panacea for home users. Kept the Internet out of home LANs. Now every home user will need to become a firewall expert with IPv6, and manage their home LANs like a corporate LAN does.

I expect with IPv6 wide-spread rollout, things will get worse with regard to security, before they get better.

I remember back when Windows 95 came out, and those with dial-up modems (and no software firewall!), would find out that random Internet users could connect to their PC through file and printer sharing, and access their files if they didn't have a strong password.

derekivey

San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

You don't need BGP. They give you a /64 to use that is routed to you. Tomato should work. I use pfSense.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state

1 recommendation

reply to VirtualLarry
said by VirtualLarry:

I've been doing some reading lately, about firewall issues. Apparently, with IPv6, there is no NAT (well, it will see much less usage), and therefore, we are back to the olden days, where every PC on a local LAN will be directly exposed to the Internet.

While I cant comment about your router, I can tell you that with my pfsence router running a tunnel through Hurricane Electric NONE of the PCs are exposed directly to the internet, they all have there own public IP address which is seen by servers on the internet but unless I explicitly allow a port through the firewall from the internet to a service running on a system all traffic inbound is blocked by default unless a request originates from that PC for a response.

battleop

reply to VirtualLarry
I can't speak for the E2500 or Tomato because I'm using a Cisco 7206 at home right now. It's been quite a while since I've used it or set it up but if I remember correctly it was a simple GRE tunnel that was setup in a couple of minutes. Once you create your free account they have instructions on how to create tunnels to various routers.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

derekivey

San Jose, CA
reply to flashcore
Exactly. All hosts have a publicly routable IPv6 address and you have to allow access via the firewall. Implicit deny will block everything by default and you explicitly allow whatever you want.

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit
reply to VirtualLarry
Found a guide for setting up Tomato IPv6 support using HE tunnel (tunnelbroker.net) :
»www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th ··· r.35297/

Worked fine for my wired PC, but my PCs on my livingroom LAN, behind a wireless ethernet bridge, aren't showing valid IPv6 addresses on test-ipv6.com for some reason. Even though IPCONFIG /ALL shows the PC pulling IPv6 addresses from the router.

(Wireless ethernet bridge is an E2500 Cisco router, with Shibby Tomato 1.08, configured for wireless bridge mode, to another E2500 with Tomato, that is doing the 6to4 tunneling.)

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by VirtualLarry:

my PCs on my livingroom LAN, behind an ethernet bridge, aren't showing valid IPv6 addresses on test-ipv6.com

What do you mean by "ethernet bridge"?
Do you mean an ethernet switch?
Or a MOCA adapter?
Or a router in "bridge" mode?
Please be specific.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

...I'm using a Cisco 7206 at home right now.

Good God man...don't you think a 7206 is a little over kill for a home router? Those things were $32K when we bought ours in 2007.

battleop

A lot of our "lab" gear ends up at my house.

aa2k

join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD

1 edit
reply to VirtualLarry
Hi,
Question,
My Fios router is MI424WR ver D at home (and according to »www22.verizon.com/support/reside ··· 8742.htm it seems this router is not ipv6 capable).
So, since I am getting an asa5505 soon thinking on playing with ipv6 from Hurricane Electric, is it possible by doing a port forward to the asa firewall (connecting a test LAN to the asa inside)? maybe forwarding protocol 41 to the asa (or any other protocols)?
I wanted to start playing/testing around with IPv6... strictly educational purpose..

seitzbg

join:2012-09-25
reply to VirtualLarry
I have a tunnel from he.net which works very nicely but it would still be great if Verizon could get off their A$$ and provide native dual stack. I pay out the you know what (business svc + statics) right now and am very disappointed at their lack of support for IPV6.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to battleop
Sounds like me. I've got a Juniper SRX210 fronting my FiOS connection and tunnel to SixXS.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to VirtualLarry
I've been playing with just 6to4 enabled in my firewall for awhile with FIOS, and works fine. Not the fastest (usually 100ms to ipv6.google.com), but enough for me to play.

-Mike

VirtualLarry
Premium
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

reply to VirtualLarry
You know, I was thinking, Comcast could use IPv6 as a very valid argument in their commercials, to claim that they have a "more advanced network" than FIOS, and it would be true. I don't know how a commercial advertising that home users would get a /64 from Comcast, when FIOS only gives you a single IPv4 address would fly (would it be too technical), but it would be cool to see.

(I remember seeing those FIOS commercials, with the tech saying "It's pure 64 QAM" while holding a fiber.)

Edit: And they could use the line, "Making a household share one IP address, is like making a family share a single toothbrush. Ewww!"

anon ipv6

@rcn.com
I heard from a Verizon tech support person that IPv6 was rolled out in May 2012 in Tampa, FL and they do not know when it will be rolled out nationally.

Doc

@verizon.net
You got more info out of them than I was able to.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to anon ipv6
said by anon ipv6 :

I heard from a Verizon tech support person that IPv6 was rolled out in May 2012 in Tampa, FL and they do not know when it will be rolled out nationally.

Sorry anon but there is No IPv6 Active yet here in VHO-2 Tampa FL.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to VirtualLarry
said by VirtualLarry:

You know, I was thinking, Comcast could use IPv6 as a very valid argument in their commercials, to claim that they have a "more advanced network" than FIOS, and it would be true.

I love the idea of this. Eg. "You can reach the whole internet with Comcast. Both IPv4 and IPv6 supported."

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

I dig your FreeBSD daemon

rootzoned

join:2011-11-12
Ashburn, VA
reply to Mahalo
I'm running a Cisco 3825 with an HE tunnel as my V6 router

Doc

@myvzw.com
reply to VirtualLarry
It is somewhat frustrating that we can't seem to get any accurate information on the status. I've put in multiple web site feedback comments for the FIOS IPv6 info page, to have them update the information. So far, all I'm hearing is crickets.

ktulucom

join:2004-09-29
Lewisville, TX

1 recommendation

reply to VirtualLarry
Man, I thought I was "cool" with my J2300! I agree, we need native V6, I have a tunnel to work so I can get v4 and v6 space, but it'd be nice to have it all native!

luckman212

join:2000-08-03
New York, NY

1 recommendation

So back to the original topic -- will someone from VZ please comment on timetable for nationwide IPv6 rollout? (I am in NY). VZ please don't be the last ISP to support this, it's kind of embarrassing.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by luckman212:

will someone from VZ please comment on timetable for nationwide IPv6 rollout?

This is a peer-to-peer forum, not affiliated with VZ.
If you want a response from VZ, you can post on their forums.
»forums.verizon.com/
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by More Fiber:

said by luckman212:

This is a peer-to-peer forum, not affiliated with VZ.

I agree with that.

said by More Fiber:

said by luckman212:

If you want a response from VZ, you can post on their forums.
»forums.verizon.com/

That forum is also a peer to peer forum, but time to time someone who works for Verizon post in there.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to ktulucom
J2300? Nice. I've got a lowly SRX210H-PoE. Running 12.1X44.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX