uniqs

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to Blockhead4

Premium Member

to Blockhead4

Re: Is high ping related to old firmware on unsupported SB6120?

I'm not sure what you're referring to here as high ping times, but 23ms is a good ping time. And just because you're 17 miles away doesn't mean your connection only travels 17 miles. It has to route it's way through your neighborhood node, back to the hub site via fiber, out the receiver, into the router, back to the headned router, then the speed test server. That's just one direction of the connection, it then has to traverse backwards to you. The fiber lines could be running any direction really depending on your area. You also have to factor in your distance to the node in your neighborhood, especially if you're a few amplifier away. A 23ms response time is not a high ping time at all, that's pretty good.

aes128
join:2003-12-19
Warren, MI

aes128

I have a SB6120 on the 30/3 service and have had it for a bit over 2 years now so it has paid for itself.

I am not an online gamer so am not sure what your ping tests mean for games however every test I do shows I get the speed I pay for, not only WOW tests. I watch streaming HD often and all is just fine.

My local speed test is 33ms. I used to be able to do speed tests to all the various WOW nodes but now they all direct me to my closest one. I would like to be able to test others than my local but seems not.

In general my speeds and PINGs are good.

Would be nice if WOW had more MODEM support for ones they did not supply but they seem to not. The MODEM monthly fee for a basic MODEM is sort of a ripoff, IMHO, but at least my SB6120 still works. A MODEM does not really cost all that much these days.

Comcast has a nice list of MODEMs they certify, WOW not. This is the one thing I like about Comcast.

Blockhead4
join:2013-03-31

Blockhead4 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
If only my ping was this good on the servers I play on. I'm usually over 100, sometimes closer to 200 which is like being in slow motion.

I guess my question is, will a newer, up to date modem improve my ping?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by Blockhead4:

If only my ping was this good on the servers I play on. I'm usually over 100, sometimes closer to 200 which is like being in slow motion.

I guess my question is, will a newer, up to date modem improve my ping?

Most likely, a newer modem will not make much, if any difference.