Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Google's Privacy Director Is Stepping Down

»www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill···ng-down/ from »www.hardocp.com/news/2013/04/02/···ng_down/

"When Alma Whitten was tapped to be Google‘s first director of privacy in 2010, CNet declared hers the “hardest job at Google.” A long time engineer at the company with expertise in computer security, she was put in charge of a program overseeing products in development at Google to try to prevent the release of those that got privacy wrong.

Now she’s giving that job up. Whitten announced internally at Google that she is stepping down from her post with plans to retire. She’s remaining for a couple of months while the privacy team transitions to new leadership. Whitten, who has been overseeing privacy at Google from the company’s London office, will be replaced by Lawrence You, an engineer who has been with the company for eight years, and importantly, at least from my perspective, is based in Mountain View, where much of the privacy-violating magic happens. It’s certainly much closer to the Google X Lab, from whence new technologies such as Glass and driverless cars are coming, presenting novel privacy implications for review..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

2 recommendations

Google had a privacy director?

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 recommendations

said by Oregonian:

Google had a privacy director?

To insure they don't miss anything.
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

(•)

»Re: See what info google has on you!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to antdude

....all I want to know...

a) is the departure voluntary, or is it just window dressing for something else behind the scenes?

b) anyone still have pitchforks and torches handy for a good ol' lynch mob on this person? Cuz from
the hoopla, she was doing ANYTHING but her job

Regards

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
reply to antdude

Reminds me of the "ROBOT PILOT": »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···Q#t=352s