Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Best material to fill screw holes.

I need to move several exterior lock strike plates because the weather stripping makes it necessary to excessive force to operate the locks. I am considering two methods to fill in the existing screw holes so that I can drill two new pilot holes about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch from the screws original locations. The existing holes were created by #8 flat head screws.

Fill in holes with Plastic Wood. How long should it take for the plastic wood to cure to full strength?

Fill in holes by coating dowels with carpenters glue and driving into each hole.

I want to be certain that the filler does not fail when I drill the new pilot holes.

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

1 recommendation

Since plastic wood has no real strength , "Fill in holes by coating dowels with carpenters glue and driving into each hole." is your best option .

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by MrFixit1:

Since plastic wood has no real strength , "Fill in holes by coating dowels with carpenters glue and driving into each hole." is your best option .

This^

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Matt
Carpenter's glue and toothpicks.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to Mr Matt
I'd also use slightly longer screws. Don't get carried away, though.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Mr Matt
How about modifying the strike plate. I usually use a file or a dremel and then a file.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Mr Matt
The reason the force is so high it so that it seals good. Moving the strike plate will quite possibly cause air leaks and higher utility bills. You may want to try loosening the seals to see if they will move slightly lessening the force, if you really want to diminish it before doing anything else.

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO
reply to Mr Matt
When I changed the interior doors in my home I had to move the hinges. I just filled the holes with wood glue and banged in some golf tees. After the glue setup I cut them flush.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Matt
I just did this using wood dowels and carpenters glue. I slightly drilled out the holes so that the dowel would fit snug. I then cut off a piece of dowel about an inch longer then the hole and coated the end with glue. Pushed into the hole and left over night. I then went back and cut off the end with a box knife. I redrilled the holes with no problem.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Mr Matt
I have made my own screw-hole filler by mixing a good wood glue with hardwood sawdust... making my own paste. I get the hardwood sawdust at a local hardwood mill. A small sandwich-bagful is more than enough and it's free for the asking. I haven't had to do that many, but I've had pretty good success doing it that way. I've never used softwood, so I'm not sure if that wouldn't work as well. An old-time carpenter friend of mine suggested the sawdust/glue to me years ago, and he specified hardwood sawdust, so that's what I've always used. The hardest part is getting the concoction all the way to the bottom of the existing hole. I just use an old small philips screwdriver to drive it in and pack it. Use very little glue... just enough to get the sawdust to bind together.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Clever. That would actually work well.

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

1 edit
reply to Mr Matt
The dowels is the best way to go both the sawdust and hardwood dowel may cause you trouble. Both will create a unbalance of hardness that will if the new point the screw will be centered at is near the edge of the two differing hardness's will cause it to move off of the center even a pilot hole wont stop this. Because most door jams are pine or cedar just test the jam by pushing on it with a screwdriver and find something close the golf tee idea is probably close enough and should work quite well just use a good carpenters glue get the kind that say its water resistant or proof. And drill a tiny pilot hole as deep as the screw you will use. I always get longer screws of the same size so as to go deep enough to go into the studs like I said door jams are to soft a wood. The longer screws also give the ability to align the door a bit on both the hing and strike of the door. But do this with caution and get Philips head not flat and get a few extra of the longer screws so if one starts to slip and bungs up the head stop and start and finish with a new screw.

Now the info for the new weather stipping and the increased force theres a trick to doing this rite set the door handle strike first at the point where the door latches just rite for instance based on the doors mass or weight so that it can be pushed as you would normaly do with nominal force from the open position and the door handle latch will catch and fully engage do this without the handle strike try to drill and or chisel the wood hole for this and make the hole just short of the catch pointdrill the hole a bit to deep and then use a sharp chisel till you get it just rite then you can set the hadle strike so the door with a lite push will close and latch perfect the dead bolt is the set the same way and its strike so that it is as close as can be but doesn't touch the dead bolt as it is locked or unloked. This is truly how a door should work. I hate a dead bolt that you have to lean on the door to operate.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to KrK
said by KrK:

Clever. That would actually work well.

It's the same trick that floor refinishers use when sanding old hardwood floors. They take some of the sanding 'dust' and mix it with whatever finish coat (urethane and stain) to create a paste which they force into any larger gaps between hardwood strips - before they stain and seal the rest of the floor.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Pacrat
+1
I did the sawdust paste with woodglue. Takes stain too.

That and small hole, can go with woodglue and toothpicks.
Big holes use dowels and woodglue.

*Don't use polyurethane-based glue, stick with yellow wood glue.
--
Splat

rjgogo

join:2003-10-22
reply to Mr Matt
Golf tees or dowel in pencil sharpener then glue. more like the shape of a screw

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
I was just going to post that...
Basicly, you put wood glue into the opening then insert the gulf tee using a hammer. Use a chisel or standard screw driver to remove the head off the gulf tee. Let it sit for an hour or so [depending on the wood glue used].

James_C

join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY
reply to Mr Matt
I have also used sawdust mixed with carpenter's glue. It works fine but it isn't as durable as another option.

Get a dowel rod but don't just shove it in a screw hole. DRILL OUT the screw hole to be the diameter of the next larger dowel rod, just barely (you'll be tapping, not easily sliding the dowel rod in). In addition to coating the dowel rod with a very light coat of glue, put some in the hole as well so it isn't scraped off while the dowel is being driven in.

Also, wait a LONG time before drilling new holes, especially if you opt to mix sawdust with glue that can take several days to thoroughly dry in the middle.

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to Mr Matt
If you want a turnkey solution you can get some J-B Weld KwikWood Epoxy Putty at the box stores. Pull a little out and roll it into a dowel shape then jam it into the hole.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Matt
Adjustable strike plate.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-B ··· 00207364