how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dennis Vu

@teksavvy.com

[Cable] Teksavvy THOMPSON DCM476 Modem keeps on dropping my inte

Click for full size
The modem I received from Teksavvy has been restarted repeatedly once in a while. I have provided a copy of the Event Log from the Administration page of the modem.

Please assist. More information can be provided when request.

Thanks,

Dennis

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy THOMPSON DCM476 Modem keeps on dropping my

The log file screenshot is for sure helpful, but we also need to see the signal levels (and/or line statistics), and the firmware version.
--
electronicsguru.ca

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
reply to Dennis Vu

I had the same problem with the same modem. post in the direct forum and they'll fix you up. I believe it's due to faulty firmware. tsi replaced it and I'm back in business.

Dennis Vu

@teksavvy.com
reply to Dennis Vu

Thank you for the fast help guys

Much Appreciated

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13

Firmware version is good, signal levels are within theoretically acceptable ranges. BUT.. the downstream signal looks weaker than normal. Got any splitters in the line that you can remove?

Dennis Vu

@teksavvy.com

Click for full size
So I hook the modem directly to one computer to avoid going through routers etc. It seem like it was more stable.

I just rehook my modem back to my router updated it (it was an Asus RT-N53)

I made sure the cable wire where the roger modem was originally connected had was not splitting anywhere along the long. (Checked for kinks, etc) One thing I saw was that my cable wire wasn't long enough so I had an extension attached between my cable wires to extend my cable connectors but did not split it anywhere to a television, etc

The attached screenshot is some times after the hook up, it seems like it is restarting (lights reset and flashes until it goes (green - pwr, blue - DS, blue - US, blue-online, green-link) again.

In addition a speed test only provides me with about just over half my registered speed of 18mbs download.

I'm hoping any of the above information will be useful to those who is able to assist me in addressing my problem.

Thanks,

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

Everything looks pretty good. Can you do more extensive testing direct to the modem, like an entire evening? When the router is in place, are you going wireless only, or wired to the router?

Modem rebooting is definitely concerning.
--
electronicsguru.ca

bonehead11

@46.19.141.x

make sure the cable isnt loose from the wall socket, and especially make sure it's tight on the modem. The modem should be placed flat on a table so that it isnt moving around.

Syfier

join:2013-04-02

Hi I will try that and separate the modem from other power sources.

Thanks,
Dennis

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

Interesting that your upstream power isn't pegged to the upper end given the low downstream signal. Normally I'd say the "tilt" is off even if within the absolute range it can work with.

If the direct connect doesn't help isolate then I'd connect before the splitter (you must have one if a tv is connected). The downtream signal will improve and maybe be stable. Then you'll know where to look next.