ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to Anonguy

to Anonguy

Re: [AZ] Modem Choice

said by Anonguy :

The 6121 is already obsolete

that is not true. it is not obsolete. the SB6120 or SB6121 provides powerhorse performance that works very well. I am still have the two SB6120 modems so I've got bonded 4x4 enabled online.

your saying is so ridiculous.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

said by ikyuaoki:

said by Anonguy :

that is not true. it is not obsolete. the SB6120 or SB6121 provides powerhorse performance that works very well. I am still have the two SB6120 modems so I've got bonded 4x4 enabled online.

Obsolete it is when you compare it to the other available modems.

I didn't say it wouldn't work.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

1 edit

ikyuaoki

If i would like to buy a newer 8x4 cable modem but... there's missing: where's the eight bonded channels upsteam available as the 8x downsteam?

I decided to skipped the 8x4 off and move forward to the newer modern DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem that provides much more efficient spectrum channels than previous 4x4 and 8x4 cable modems. that's what i am aim for at is more efficient spectrum per channels that which can provides up to 10Gbits/1Gbits available at higher efficient yield available.

i will be buying the two DOCSIS 3.1 modems afterward that.

i am glad i did not wasted on the another one 8x4 set.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Why? my standard is much higher and I put a copies of network components into the RAM drive and it is linked via the variable sets for cleaner fuel and make my computer pretty much less lag.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

said by ikyuaoki:

If i would like to buy a newer 8x4 cable modem but... there's missing: where's the eight bonded channels upsteam available as the 8x downsteam?

I decided to skipped the 8x4 off and move forward to the newer modern DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem that provides much more efficient spectrum channels than previous 4x4 and 8x4 cable modems. that's what i am aim for at is more efficient spectrum per channels that which can provides up to 10Gbits/1Gbits available at higher efficient yield available.

i will be buying the two DOCSIS 3.1 modems afterward that.

i am glad i did not wasted on the another one 8x4 set.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Why? my standard is much higher and I put a copies of network components into the RAM drive and it is linked via the variable sets for cleaner fuel and make my computer pretty much less lag.

But we aren't talking about you.

We are talking about someone that is going to buy a modem soon. Not when the 3.1 modems are out.

Considering only what is avalable today the 612x is obsolete.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to ikyuaoki

Premium Member

to ikyuaoki
said by ikyuaoki:

said by Anonguy :

Not ridiculous, actually rather sound logic.

The 4x4 DOCSIS3.0 modems are going to be the "D1.0" modems of the current generation of hardware. We have 16x4, and 24x8 modems on the way 4x4 is the bare minimum. The price delta between the SB6121(4x4 single tuner), and SB6141(8x4, dual 96MHz tuners) is $10 and buys you a much better modem.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by odog:

said by ikyuaoki:

said by Anonguy :

Not ridiculous, actually rather sound logic.

The 4x4 DOCSIS3.0 modems are going to be the "D1.0" modems of the current generation of hardware. We have 16x4, and 24x8 modems on the way 4x4 is the bare minimum. The price delta between the SB6121(4x4 single tuner), and SB6141(8x4, dual 96MHz tuners) is $10 and buys you a much better modem.

I will upgrade from my 8x4, when cox starts supporting 24x8 modem's. Still when will cox be upgrading it's network more? As we all know the 1ghz plant, is one of the main limiting factors for more channel's. Also imo the 16x4 modem's will be rather a waste at this point, no thanks on a 4 to 1 ratio between downstream, and upstream channel's on a modem.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to odog

Premium Member

to odog
I would like to state my opinion that there is more to quality and performance of a DOCSIS connection then max channels bonded. Kind of how a routers max wireless connection rate does not determine a routers worth. Also, the SB6120 had superior case design which I think gave it better thermal dynamics. I think that lead to it having a more stable connection overall. And I would bet, and though I don't have any hard data, that the quality of parts decreased as Motorola had to complete with the many other manufactures that started making D3 modems. My point being I think that all things considered equal, with a service level under 50Mbps, the SB6120 would demolish the SB6141 in latency and stability of transfer rate.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

said by Optimus2357:

My point being I think that all things considered equal, with a service level under 50Mbps, the SB6120 would demolish the SB6141 in latency and stability of transfer rate.

They are effectively the same chipset, TI PUMA5. The SB6141 is just a newer, more advanced version of it. They are so similar, they even use the same firmware.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to Optimus2357

to Optimus2357
as some one who upgrade from a 6120 to a 6141 i can say the 6141 is better in my experience and runs much cooler. my 6120 never gave me and issue but the latency is a little bit less on the 6141 and again is much cooler to the touch.

the other nice bonus is if you get cox whole home dvr the 6141 has a built in moca filter for added protection
phxuser
join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

phxuser

I also upgraded from a SB6120 to a SB6141 three months ago. There was a good market for used SB6120's so the upgrade price was very reasonable.

I might mention that the downstream signal levels on the SB6141 are 1-2 db lower than the SB6120. The Moca filter on the 6141 may be the reason.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to odog

to odog
Well, i am planning go forward to DOCSIS 3.1 what it will buy me a better ones that is more efficient spectrum of bandwidth at while reducing the 1Ghz bandwidth range, not increasing above beyond the 1Ghz bandwidth range spectrum that's goes buy me into DOCSIS 3.1 where i am looking forward.

In other words, that DOCSIS 3.1 can provides up to 10Gbits/1Gbits that is better width band.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley

said by ikyuaoki:

Well, i am planning go forward to DOCSIS 3.1

unless you are building your own cable network you will be wasting your time

3.1 is not yet a standard and if and when it does become one, it will introduce new mechanisms for increasing bandwidth such as mid-splits to add upstream carriers above 85Mhz as well as OFDM signalling that will increase downstream capacity

but until then standard is ratified, and vendors go through certification and your service provider deploys new CMTS equipment and makes the necessary upgrades to the RF infrastructure, a 3.1 modem will gain nothing over your current 3.0 modem

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

That OFDM signals are more efficient spectrum channels over the old QAM channels. unlikely the QAM, the OFDM does not use the big 6Mhz channel or 8Mhz channel in europe of an width band per channel.

that's what i am looking forward to the DOCSIS 3.1 specification.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to m8trix

Premium Member

to m8trix
Perhaps "demolish" was too strong a word. I have just found newer is not always better. Without going into too much detail, I believe the build quality of a 6120 is better then the SB6121, the main difference being the case for better brand clarity (SB901 looking like the SB6120). Consider that along with the fact that some manufactures find ways to reduce cost while still keeping the same product specs to increase profit margin as the product line matures, I believe the SB6120 is superior in any market that does not have more then 4 channels downstream available yet. I know there are many other variables too, my point was just don't count the ol' boy out quite yet.