spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SubSolar

join:2013-04-02
Irvine, CA

Recommend router or AP that does guest network in AP mode?

I'm just looking for a router or access point that will properly setup a guest network when used in access point mode (not just router mode). By proper guest access I mean that it will block access to computers and devices but allow Internet access.

I've tried the Netgear R6300, ASUS RT-AC66U and Linksys EA6500 but they all only work properly with guest networking only if they are the main router, not an access point.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

I think the setting you're looking for is "AP Isolation". This ensures wireless devices can't see each other. I think it would apply to your entire wireless network though, not just your guest network, so that could be an issue.

You might also need alternative firmware. My ASUS RT-N66U with Asuswrt-Merlin has this setting in AP mode. It doesn't have this with the factory firmware. My old Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT had this setting too.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to SubSolar

said by SubSolar:

I'm just looking for a router or access point that will properly setup a guest network when used in access point mode (not just router mode). By proper guest access I mean that it will block access to computers and devices but allow Internet access.

I've tried the Netgear R6300, ASUS RT-AC66U and Linksys EA6500 but they all only work properly with guest networking only if they are the main router, not an access point.

Well the solution I think your looking for would not come from the AP but rather a rule in your router as in AP mode it would only be acting as a Bridge via wired switch to an existing network. How would an AP otherwise know the difference?

If you wanted to say set up guest zone on your router on say both 2.4 and 5ghz bands. Use a bridge device connecting to the 5ghz guest zone you could provide a 2.4 ghz AP with guest zone only network. Thus functioning as a repeater without cutting your throughput in half. Or just cut your throughput in half and install a repeater.
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.09NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {1 @ 5ghz bridge mode; 2nd semi-retired} / Motorola SB6141