dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ayocee
join:2013-04-02

ayocee

[AZ] Finally got an overage notice - what options do I have?

So Cox finally sent me an email saying I'm using their service too much, apparently - I'm on the now-25Mbps plan and have been using 500GB/mo or so for quite some time so I knew it was going to come one of these days, once they started offering their own bandwidth tracking.

Most of this data is either Netflix, Hulu, or backing up data to offsite locations - I'm going to be tracking it myself and taking a few steps to reduce my total usage, but seeing as even the Ultimate plan (which is far higher speed than I really care about - for what Cox wants to charge for internet, I'll stick with 25Mbps just fine!) only allows up to 400GB of usage, I don't know that I'll be able to keep the usage in-line with what they want.

I noticed some mention of 'Home Office' internet connections, which seem to offer a bit better speed at a slightly lower price than the ridiculously-expensive business plans. What I can't find any mention of on Cox's site, however, is whether or not those plans actually have any limits in terms of total data transfer. I really don't want to spend more to take a hit in speed but it's realistically either that, or go insane and become my own ISP :P

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Skip the offsite backup or very selectively backup and see what that does for your data. I use Netflix and Amazon every day and rarely get to 400MB. Only when doing offsite backup do I get to 600MB.
JustSomeGuy89
join:2013-03-19
Johnston, RI

JustSomeGuy89 to ayocee

to ayocee
You should not change your internet usage in any way. Caps and limits on usage are not going to change the sorry state of cable internet in the USA. America is way behind where we should be. Cox should stop being a follower and lead the industry in a better direction.
ayocee
join:2013-04-02

ayocee

It's a nice sentiment, but ultimately I think continuing down that road just ends up with me trying to figure out how to shoot wireless to work... and at 25 miles that won't be cheap or easy, ha.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to ayocee

Premium Member

to ayocee
have you checked for viruses?
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

and an un secure wifi connection?

-Rob

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64 to ayocee

Premium Member

to ayocee
The short answer is the "Home Office" plans offered by Cox Business are not capped or throttled. In many cases, the Business plans are given a higher priority for bandwidth.

My personal experience has been great. While I don't transfer a lot of data, I've never been bothered by Cox for transferring too much data.

Possible downsides (my experience):

Cheaper to bundle Cox Business Home Office Internet with the Business Telephone plan than have Cox Business Internet separately.

Long-term contract for the best rates (NOTE: No price increase after the initial term when signing a 3yr contract).

Early termination fee is 100% payment due regardless if you use the service or not until the contract has been completed on the original terms. If you sign a 3yr contract and stop after the first 12 months, you will pay 100% for months 13-36.

Professional Installation fee (may be waived, mine was not but I had a telephone emta brought out).
Nayon
join:2007-10-15
Marlborough, MA

Nayon to ayocee

to ayocee
[RI] Here. Just got an overage notification myself. I looked at my bandwidth history on a month basis and found that I have used between 300-400Gb of Data for 6/12 months listed..

I don't download anymore.. I just don't have time to maintain the large amount of data that comes with that. The Netflix library has been stellar and I use it daily. I don't want to increase my connection speed just to increase the cap.. I don't have an option for providers it's either DSL or Cox in my area..

Using Prefered Plan currently and the next upgrade only adds a 50GB allowance.. Not enough so I would have to switch to Ultimate.. Which is more bandwidth than I need for a 400Gb cap...
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx to ayocee

to ayocee
I have had the 'ultimate' package since they offered it. I just recently received an 'overage' notice.. I've been backing up almost 2tb of data to backblaze for the last week now and I've apparently hit my limit at 418gb..

I previously attempted to use Cox's included backup service.. I found it's client buggy and lacking in the most basic options. I assumed if they were this careless with the backup client I can only imagine the back end systems and storage arrangement.. That's why I decided to use backblaze.. I wonder if Cox excludes transferring to their third party hosted backup service in the bandwidth usage calculation?
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by nickphx:

I have had the 'ultimate' package since they offered it. I just recently received an 'overage' notice.. I've been backing up almost 2tb of data to backblaze for the last week now and I've apparently hit my limit at 418gb..

I previously attempted to use Cox's included backup service.. I found it's client buggy and lacking in the most basic options. I assumed if they were this careless with the backup client I can only imagine the back end systems and storage arrangement.. That's why I decided to use backblaze.. I wonder if Cox excludes transferring to their third party hosted backup service in the bandwidth usage calculation?

Well If I was you, I would wait till they contact you in person. Be straight with them, and say you don't offer any residential tier with higher bandwidth cap. If they try, and bring up business connection. Tell them just because your usage is higher then what there residential tier's offer, doesn't mean you need a business connection. As you are not interested in any of the features business class internet offers. Cox as a company need's to know, if you want to be strict on bandwidth now a day's. You better get a better plan together to offer your customer's better option's for bandwidth need's.
lilstone87

lilstone87

Oh one other thing, if you are a Ultimate tier customer, and get contacted by cox for going over the cap. I would also mention to them, how you don't appreciate the recent increased bandwidth caps for the lower tier's, and ultimate got left the same. I really feel it's shady what cox did, regarding raising bandwidth caps for all tier's except ultimate.
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx to ayocee

to ayocee
I told them I would keep using what I've paid for. If they terminate me I will complain to every government agency that will listen. It's not as if my usage is causing a network problem or I'm using more than my share. 418gb in 30 days is nothing compared to what I could use if I maxed out the 150mbps I pay for 24x7...

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to Shrapnel64

to Shrapnel64
said by Shrapnel64:

TIn many cases, the Business plans are given a higher priority for bandwidth.

Support, not bandwidth. Cox does not prioritize on residential vs business.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bbeesley:

said by Shrapnel64:

TIn many cases, the Business plans are given a higher priority for bandwidth.

Support, not bandwidth. Cox does not prioritize on residential vs business.

This is the reason why I want cox to do a better job with bandwidth management with there residential tier's. I feel the forced hard caps cox is using on residential internet, is simply about being money hungry, and not doing what's best for there network.

The funny thing about this problem is, when cox contacts there customer's regarding going over the cap, and suggesting them to cut there usage or upgrade service. What the hell do they think, when that customer is already on there highest residential tier? I just feel strongly against a company that want's to force people to business class internet, and not give fair options for there need's. Because it's not like they offer different level's to there business tiers option wise. Just because someone uses more bandwidth, doesn't mean they need better phone tech support, faster in home tech support, certain port's not closed, and etc.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

Oh one other thing, if you are a Ultimate tier customer, and get contacted by cox for going over the cap. I would also mention to them, how you don't appreciate the recent increased bandwidth caps for the lower tier's, and ultimate got left the same. I really feel it's shady what cox did, regarding raising bandwidth caps for all tier's except ultimate.

I think that was more likely deliberate rather than an oversight. They probably estimated that their network could sustain the increased data rates provided nobody goes overboard.
Rakeesh

Rakeesh to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

This is the reason why I want cox to do a better job with bandwidth management with there residential tier's. I feel the forced hard caps cox is using on residential internet, is simply about being money hungry, and not doing what's best for there network.

It's more of a soft cap. With a hard cap, you instantly see a penalty of some sort once you hit that cap.

BTW, there is a place, theirs is what they have.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Be thankful Cox doesn't pull a Charter, once you go over your CrAP, your banned from the network. Period.

(Yea, am not a fan of data caps at all..)

-Rob
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by Rob_:

Be thankful Cox doesn't pull a Charter, once you go over your CrAP, your banned from the network. Period.

(Yea, am not a fan of data caps at all..)

-Rob

Uh what you think the email's are that these guy's posted about above? The next one will end up with there internet being cut off, and a phone call to cox being needed. Which then they will lecture them about there usage, suggest cutting back, or upgrading. While telling them if this happens again, we have the right to terminate your service for up to a year.