Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by Gone:

Not really. If you're making minimum wage in Mississauga you're going to hurt a whole hell of a lot more than you would making minimum wage here. While you may feel like you're going to starve on minimum wage in Fort Erie, you actually would be starving, and living in a box, in Mississauga.

The difference being, I'm well above minimum wage here. I'm not so sure that I would be in Fort Erie.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by TLS2000:

The difference being, I'm well above minimum wage here. I'm not so sure that I would be in Fort Erie.

My wife and I are both well above minimum wage with a household income just shy of six figures. The difference, of course, is that one can buy a house here for 250K that would cost over 600 in Mississauga, which goes back to my entire point about wages meaning nothing and cost of living meaning everything.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I hear ya! Our rent, parking, insurance, and hydro in Oakville in a 1 bedroom apartment (no storage) was only $50 less than what we're paying in Hamilton for mortgage, property tax, gas, hydro, and insurance for a 3 bedroom, two storey house, full yard, driveway for two cars, full basement for storage. Cost of living makes an enormous difference.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Styvas:

I hear ya! Our rent, parking, insurance, and hydro in Oakville in a 1 bedroom apartment (no storage) was only $50 less than what we're paying in Hamilton for mortgage, property tax, gas, hydro, and insurance for a 3 bedroom, two storey house, full yard, driveway for two cars, full basement for storage. Cost of living makes an enormous difference.

Yup! Our mortgage, property tax, hydro, gas and water costs the same each month as many people in St. Catharines pay just to rent an apartment with no utilities, and even St. Cats is cheap compared to the GTA (I think, now, they're similar to Hamilton as far as costs go). It makes a massive difference. We're very blessed to have the income with jobs so close to home in a town with such a low cost of living. A lot of people in this town do struggle, but it's a struggle that would be infinitely harder if the cost of living wasn't as low as it is.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000

Premium Member

Other than that little bout of unemployment I'm not struggling now. I'm planning on buying a place, probably in Hamilton, next year. I see Hamilton as a compromise. It lets me get a relatively cheap place to live but I'm within commuting distance of a decent paying job.

Again, COL is important, but so is income.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Fair enough, but all I'm going to say is that if you worked for the CBSA down here in Fort Erie, you'd be making more money while also paying a lot less to live within walking distance of work, too.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000

Premium Member

I'm going to say that I may have a plan exactly like that in the works.

edit: That said, it may take a few years as rumour has it that CBSA is going to be going through cuts. Take that with the 2 year long hiring process..

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The only people who've gotten job modification letters in Niagara are the Commercial CRs. Traffic CR, all AS and all FB so far are safe.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Gas is sitting at $1.42 as of yesterday. The long-weekend screw over.

Of course, the last jump a week and a half ago from $1.26 to $1.34 just pisses me off more. The greedy bastards!