Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to Mr Matt

MVM

to Mr Matt

Re: Best material to fill screw holes.

I have made my own screw-hole filler by mixing a good wood glue with hardwood sawdust... making my own paste. I get the hardwood sawdust at a local hardwood mill. A small sandwich-bagful is more than enough and it's free for the asking. I haven't had to do that many, but I've had pretty good success doing it that way. I've never used softwood, so I'm not sure if that wouldn't work as well. An old-time carpenter friend of mine suggested the sawdust/glue to me years ago, and he specified hardwood sawdust, so that's what I've always used. The hardest part is getting the concoction all the way to the bottom of the existing hole. I just use an old small philips screwdriver to drive it in and pack it. Use very little glue... just enough to get the sawdust to bind together.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Clever. That would actually work well.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by KrK:

Clever. That would actually work well.

It's the same trick that floor refinishers use when sanding old hardwood floors. They take some of the sanding 'dust' and mix it with whatever finish coat (urethane and stain) to create a paste which they force into any larger gaps between hardwood strips - before they stain and seal the rest of the floor.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
+1
I did the sawdust paste with woodglue. Takes stain too.

That and small hole, can go with woodglue and toothpicks.
Big holes use dowels and woodglue.

*Don't use polyurethane-based glue, stick with yellow wood glue.