uniqs
CampobelloRe
join:2013-11-06
USA

CampobelloRe

Re: Windstream DSL Investigation: South Carolina

Click for full size
This was yesterday.

Spoke to Mike at tech support. He attempted to send a signal to my modem in an effort to get the speed bumped up but he wasn't able to do it. Contacted another department who was not able to do it either.

Says we have a latency issue, meaning our area grew faster than Windstream was expecting it to and therefore they did not have enough equipment in place when it did. He says their office is now being told all latency issues will be resolved by the end of December this year.

800 347-1991 is the number to call to ask for a latency discount.
computerdoc06
join:2012-08-06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

All issues resolved by THIS December? Do you have Mike's contact info, if so please PM me. I hope what he says is true, when were you told this?

Fingers crossed...
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

well good luck, hope it is true but I am skeptical.
CampobelloRe
join:2013-11-06
USA

CampobelloRe

I'm skeptical as well. This is around the 4th time I've been given a "deadline" and they haven't met one yet.
Entre Nous
join:2013-05-14
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

The deadline will pass and nothing will be done. This is how windfart thinks.
Its almost as if they are hoping we just shut up and live with it.

To say they did not expect this much business in this area is a lie. They know how bad the service is, yet they are still mailing out flyer's saying they can compete with cable. They are actively seeking new subscriptions they cannot provide service for.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06 to CampobelloRe

to CampobelloRe
Pretty sad support with so many disappointed customers. Failed ETR's are so common and that just shouldn't be so. I hope the tech you spoke with can prove us wrong.
computerdoc06

computerdoc06 to Entre Nous

to Entre Nous
That is the worst part. The last tech I spoke with on the phone was saying how rural our area is and Windstream is only the provider that would even offer service here. I told them they got quite the deal b/c now they have so much business in our area their hardware can't handle it. That's not rocket science, you have tons of demand yet complain about upgrading. You have to expand to meet demand. They are getting growth, which many companies would be thrilled to have yet don't support it. Customers drive any business but Windstream has failed to recognize this in their rural areas when it's time to accommodate/upgrade for the demand.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Doc. I have been complaining on Facebook about these crooks.
Check out the latest interaction.
»www.facebook.com/windstr ··· _comment
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

I responded on his Facebook post, stated you have to be luckier than those who win Powerball to get anything fixed.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

The facebook alias I have is "Amanda". I sent her my phone number and she is going to try and help.
Its not going to do any good. I know that and so does everyone else on this forum. But she does not know, so lets let her run in circles for a day or two like we have been doing for 10 years.

Here is the conversation. »www.facebook.com/windstr ··· _comment
Entre Nous

Entre Nous

Update. "Amanda" sent me a message back today. Telling me the same crap they have been telling us for 2 years now.
Dan. She verified nothing is going to happen for us. I think we should give the facebook banner some use. Lets all get on facebook and start to let them know, what we know. Should I start a new thread here on this forum?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to Entre Nous

Mod

to Entre Nous
If you all decide to do this, please organize it via IM not in this forum.

The forum is not for organizing stuff to happen on other sites.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06 to Entre Nous

to Entre Nous
I swear information changes from tech to tech with Windstream...how embarrassing. Just shoot me over the info on FB and we can tackle it on there and update on here when we recieve new information. I hope to hear more from CampobelloRe on his contact and the new ETR at the end of December. Shall they fail to meet another deadline?
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

She "Windstream Amanda" told me we are getting nothing here in Campobello. No ETA as there is nothing planned for us.
I knew she could not help and she couldn't. Now she has left the facebook page.

landrumsc
@windstream.net

landrumsc

Anon

yes, same problem in Landrum. Latency issues for the last 6 months. Not even a credit. They do keep sending techs out to my house who swear our area's equipment has been upgraded. BS.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Write a letter to SC. Dept or Consumer Affairs. (800-922-1594 or 803-734-4200) I got a $10.00 credit for one full year by filing a formal complaint. Its not much, but if they have to give $10.00 credits to 1 million people, that is lots of money.

heres the web site. »www.consumer.sc.gov/Page ··· ult.aspx
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Bad news guys, here is the latest from Windstream Direct. Can't say the supposed December ETR was that believable in the first place, so I guess we'll be waiting a bit longer.

"We have checked with the local supervisor as well as the engineers, unfortunately, we do not have any plans in place for upgrades in your area.

Windstream acknowledges Campobello/Inman, SC customers have been experiencing high speed internet issues. This is a result of the tremendous growth in Internet usage over the past few years as well as the challenging economics of serving rural and remote areas with broadband. Unfortunately, our records indicate your service address will likely not benefit from upgrades this year. That is because you are located in a remote area that would be cost prohibitive to upgrade.

If you find this unacceptable, you may want to explore alternate service options such as Internet via satellite. For example, Dish Net through Dish Network is a service that may be available to you and bundled with your Windstream billing account. You may call us for more information regarding this product. 1-888-292-3827, we can get you to an internal team who has more information in regards to the issues in your area and your options.

We regret the inconvenience of this situation. Windstream appreciates your business. Please feel free to contact us if you should have any additional questions or concerns."

My response:

Not surprising news. What's troubling is we have so much growth in our area, yet you state it's not cost prohibitive to upgrade. With such tremendous growth...doesn't this warrant the need for new hardware for your paying customers and future one's? This makes zero sense other than corporate holding out till they are forced to fix their DSLAM and architecture legally.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Just more fluff. Are we wasting our time?
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

No sir, although Windstream obviously isn't one of those companies that really care about their customers and ranking high in customer support, bad exposure is still bad exposure. Again, Google has this thread on the first page and first listing if you type in Windstream DSL SC.

Anyone that searches for information on their service in SC in this manner (which I do for any product or service before purchasing) will see this specific thread and the mountain of information within on how slow and unreliable their service is and their failure to keep their word or respect their customers. They admit to incredible area growth yet won't invest in fixing their own outdated and over taxed hardware. I won't stop till we get the upgrades we were promised long ago, period.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

I am with you Dan. I am just frustrated and angry. This latest round with "facebook Amanda" just reinforced the fact they are going to do nothing for us.
You can count on me to not give up this fight. I am ready, willing and available to help in any way I can.
If the only thing we can do is hurt windstreams business, then that is what we must do.
I have a link to this forum on my facebook page. I will write about windstream every chance I get.
Giving up, is not an option!
nOv1c3
join:2006-11-08
Whitney, TX

nOv1c3 to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06
A quote from the CEO Jeff Gardner Of windstream

Gardner noted Windstream is well-positioned to take advantage of the fact it has few competitors, which reduces pressure to invest and improve its networks to stay competitive.

Our residential customers remain concentrated in very rural areas where there is less competition, which has contributed to a more stable consumer business,” Gardner admitted.

The Man knows he,s screwing the customers and thinks that's a good thing for the company . God what a douchebag

»stopthecap.com/2013/02/2 ··· cash-in/

Jeff Gardner Total Calculated Compensation for 2012 $7,995,350
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

That's nauseating. He'll never hurt for money obviously, but I hope his disrespectful business practice comes back to bite him sooner than later so more practical ISP's can service everyone who struggles with the horror that is Windstream.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous to nOv1c3

to nOv1c3
This is a great example of scum.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

My 2Wire modem/router went out and was replaced with a FAST1704N. Not so fast results however...
computerdoc06

1 edit

computerdoc06

*Quick Update

Came home this morning and someway, somehow the connection was fantastic. I was getting consistent ping times of 23ms and my download speeds were right at 6MB or over. I ran over 10 speed tests and it never once fluctuated. I have been told the area is getting fiber to the DSLAM and it was scheduled to be completed by the end of 2013. I really thought the upgrades had finally completed till I jumped back online this afternoon and it was back to 0.45MB and horrendous ping times.

Even outside of peak times have been ridiculously slow for the past few years but this was the first time I had seen them delivering what they advertise. It was nice for a minutes...hopefully this was a test phase and the upgrades are nearly finished.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

I checked mine as soon as I read your post and the download speed was very close to what I pay for. I will check more often now to see if it stays this way. Maybe you are onto something there Dan.
I also have the new fast modem.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

The early morning hours are close to advertised speeds but it drops off dramatically by the afternoon much less peak hours. I reached out to Aaron to see if he speak with the engineers and see exactly where they are in terms of finalizing the fiber upgrades. Looks like they are making headway at least. They recently allowed for 6MB service online for our area and that's what made me really dig in and speak with several techs and phone support finding out the upgrades were presently taking place.

Hopefully Aaron can find out how close they are to finishing up. I was told on the phone probably late January but I just want that to be confirmed. If you get a chance, give their support line a call and see what you can find out too. The DSLAM on Patterson rd is getting upgraded, hopefully that's the same one you are on.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

Good luck guys! Hope when they finally get yall upgraded it will hold out.

Saint Matthews close to the Congaree seems to have lost all hope ~6 months after the fiber run.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Hate to hear that man. That makes no sense after running fiber. Have they responded on what the issue is?
We are still at 0.50MB down or worse at peak so we aren't out of the woods yet, but I have been told by numerous techs that upgrades are in progress and very close to wrapping up. I reached out to Aaron on here to get more detailed info on just how close they are to finishing up the fiber install. Best of luck at Saint Matthews, keep us posted!

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

They haven't responded yet. Everytime we call in too they won't tell us anything. No more "Latency Outage" nonsense.. just "We will have a tech check the equipment." I highly doubt they have upgraded the remote with anything except for fiber feeding it. You know, the cost to upgrade vs the return of investment nonsense they keep preaching. We know that there isn't anything wrong with the wiring in this area. A friend of mine is literally 70 yards from the DSLAM and his ping is right there with ours like clockwork. But for the first 5 months or so after the fiber we were rolling perfectly. And everyday minus 7pm - 2am as of now.

Anyway I hope you guys the best when it comes to these morons. Oh and when they get finished, see who runs their fiber. I think AT&T own the fiber here. My brother said he saw AT&T buried fiber on the orange marking poles. Interesting...